Confirmed with Link: Bemstrom to PIT for Alex Nylander and a conditional 6th

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
trouble.gif
I saw that one coming...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Admittedly, wasn't excited about getting him. But in a lost season, this is exactly the kind of gamble the CBJ should be taking the rest of the year. High talent reclamation projects.

He's been very good on his line and producing. Good for him.

Does this mean he has a long term future here? Probably not. But the worst case scenario is we can qualify him and trade him potentially. Or, we can keep him, have him battle for a spot, and if he doesn't make it he can go to Cleveland and be a call up guy if necessary.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Admittedly, wasn't excited about getting him. But in a lost season, this is exactly the kind of gamble the CBJ should be taking the rest of the year. High talent reclamation projects.

He's been very good on his line and producing. Good for him.

Does this mean he has a long term future here? Probably not. But the worst case scenario is we can qualify him and trade him potentially. Or, we can keep him, have him battle for a spot, and if he doesn't make it he can go to Cleveland and be a call up guy if necessary.
Even though I'm not holding my breath, if he could be a bottom 6 energy guy with responsible play I would be ecstatic.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've been firmly in the "Bemstrom doesn't move the needle for me" (despite that there are some sharp posters here who disagreed). That said, wishing him the best as there are times when an overall freshening is needed. Good for the player to have fresh eyes on his game and good for the org to just move on from a player who hasn't been able, for whatever reason, to gain any traction.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's only scoring at a 60 goals/82 game pace so far. I was kinda hoping for a goal per game average, but I guess he's been acceptable.

In all seriousness, he's probably exceeded everyones expectations by a significant margin. A very pleasant surprise.
I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

The talent is there. If it wasn't he wouldn't have been a top 10 pick. He showed promise in his 1 full year in Chicago but then injuries popped in and he never got a fair chance afterwards it seems.

Sometimes you just need to find the right situation. Maybe Columbus is his. I fully expect he'll level off because his current pace doesn't seem realistically sustainable but he seems to have a nose for the goal and putting himself in the right place at the right time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I've been firmly in the "Bemstrom doesn't move the needle for me" (despite that there are some sharp posters here who disagreed). That said, wishing him the best as there are times when an overall freshening is needed. Good for the player to have fresh eyes on his game and good for the org to just move on from a player who hasn't been able, for whatever reason, to gain any traction.
DSL, my sentiments mirror yours. But I Suspect his future will mirror his past

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I realy hope Nylander keep the level of his play up(the goalscoring is not sustainable, but the effort is). I want him to play vs us (Toronto) and his brother years to come. I hope he has found his place.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dont be to hard on Nylander, he is doing great. Wait more then a couple of games before deciding that he has turned back to a pumpkin. 53 games in Bertuzzi had 7 goals. Nylanders 10 in 17 is impressive.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Dont be to hard on Nylander, he is doing great. Wait more then a couple of games before deciding that he has turned back to a pumpkin. 53 games in Bertuzzi had 7 goals. Nylanders 10 in 17 is impressive.
He has matched his career high in goals in a season. Good stuff.

Reactions: CBJx614 and ZEBROA

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Its nice when a trade actually lights a fire under someone, but ive also heard pens fans talk about nylander and how he never got ice time, well he has it here, and hes got that work ethic to make good things happen. I was never big on Bemstrom and just kind of figured we got the same player in the deal, we did not, thankfully.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

We should call him Alex "Pumpkin" Nylander, because it is guaranteed people will say he has turned into a pumpkin anytime he goes a few games without a point. It will be that way even if he is good for a year or two.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Its nice when a trade actually lights a fire under someone, but ive also heard pens fans talk about nylander and how he never got ice time, well he has it here, and hes got that work ethic to make good things happen.
I hate to be this guy but im still not convinced.

Nylander is shooting above 17% (1st), with 21% of his starts coming in the ozone (2nd), playing 17+ mins a night mostly alongside Jenner and Gaudreau, and sometimes Sillinger and Texier. He’s not really a playmaker, his assists/60 are only better than Meyer and Pyythia. His P/60 are being helped by his G/60, but I doubt Nylander ever gets this type of favorable TOI (wrt Teammates, zone starts, ATOI) again. If he is on the team next year he’s going to be a middle 6 winger, and at that point what is he providing outside of his shot? I don’t see him as a physical player, speedy, or two-way; what is he adding? What makes him a better player than Roslovic (who the team decided wasn’t needed next year)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad