Confirmed with Link: Bemstrom to PIT for Alex Nylander and a conditional 6th

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Rooting for bemmer to light it up for Pittsburgh then

Nylander is a nothing and the pick is a nothing unless it becomes a 3rd.

Wish Bemmer well and I think he’ll be a good addition to Pittsburgh.
Marc Methot, Cam Atkinson and Vladislav Gavrikov were all sixth rounders. Sure the percentages are not good but Methot and Gavrikov were both good d-men for us and ended top yielding solid trade returns. Cam is one of the most popular players in club history. 6th rounder is necessarily a nothing pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's a tweener. He shows flashes but his game is not quite good enough for one of the NHL's worst teams. He's an AHLer in reality who really belongs in Europe.

Here's what we're getting: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/212641/alexander-nylander

Seems like an even swap then.

This is a common misconception about bad clubs. Teams that have been good often have had fewer prospects coming through and have a lot more cap tied up in superstars. They have worse depth than bad clubs like the Jackets! The Pens bottom six is much much worse than the Jackets bottom six! It's an easier lineup to crack.

I think Emil Bemstrom is an NHLer on several clubs. I think he'll do really well on the Penguins. They might sell on Smith or Guentzel and put him in the top six right away.

Looking at the numbers this is not an even swap between Nylander and Bemstrom. Bemmer scores about as many goals as Nylander scores points. Very responsible player too.

I like this move, Nylander makes the minimum this season with no guarantee he gets resigned. We are out from under that Bemstrom contract next season.

Bemstrom's contract ends this Spring and he also makes low enough that his entire contract can get sent to the AHL with zero NHL cap hit.

Getting rid of one of Jarmo's pet projects.

We've officially started purging Jarmo's golden boys who never amounted to anything.

False narrative. Jarmo waived him at least once, maybe twice? No takers.

This might be the FO honoring a trade request from a blocked player. They're putting Bemstrom in a much better position. The Pens aren't nearly as deep.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
False narrative. Jarmo waived him at least once, maybe twice? No takers.

This might be the FO honoring a trade request from a blocked player. They're putting Bemstrom in a much better position. The Pens aren't nearly as deep.
If I could find some who loved me as much as Jarmo loved Bemstrom I'd be a happy man. Jarmo hyped Bemstrom to no end but in the long run Bemstrom just didn't cut it. He was given far more opportunities than many players have gotten.

TFW overslept once and got banished to hockey Siberia on the depth chart and virtually never be given another chance while he tears up the AHL. Bemstrom was given opportunity after opportunity here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I could find some who loved me as much as Jarmo loved Bemstrom I'd be a happy man. Jarmo hyped Bemstrom to no end but in the long run Bemstrom just didn't cut it. He was given far more opportunities than many players have gotten.

TFW overslept once and got banished to hockey Siberia on the depth chart and virtually never be given another chance while he tears up the AHL. Bemstrom was given opportunity after opportunity here.

Bemstrom was the best player for the job. You're portraying it as only about giving a young player a chance, as if the club made a sacrifice by putting him out there. We were giving him a chance and also getting the role properly filled. He scored a fair amount for his ice time and played both ends responsibly. On a less deep club he still has a job.

TFW is pure offense and not more offense than Bemstrom. You're oversleeping on how big of a difference there is between these two players at the NHL level.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I always thought Bemström had an undeservedly bad reputation in Columbus. It seemed for some periods that he was the only one producing on their PP. I hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

Good trade overall, in my opinion, considering he has been waived without takers. Although I suspect that this might be a trade that won't look too good ten years from now.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins are pretty tight against the cap and White was claimed. I wonder if this trade was always on the table but getting the space from White being claimed was the trigger.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Rooting for bemmer to light it up for Pittsburgh then

Nylander is a nothing and the pick is a nothing unless it becomes a 3rd.

Wish Bemmer well and I think he’ll be a good addition to Pittsburgh.

I know the percentage of a 6th round pick amounting to something is minuscule but i’ll remind you that a certain #13 (cam atkinson) was drafted in the 6th round… same with mark stone, jesper bratt, Gavrikov, ullmark.. pavel datsyuk, brett hull… etc.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bemstrom was the best player for the job. You're portraying it as only about giving a young player a chance, as if the club made a sacrifice by putting him out there. We were giving him a chance and also getting the role properly filled. He scored a fair amount for his ice time and played both ends responsibly. On a less deep club he still has a job.

TFW is pure offense and not more offense than Bemstrom. You're oversleeping on how big of a difference there is between these two players at the NHL level.
I'm not sure what the job is. He came over here from Europe as a sniper who seemed to really only score over the in Ovechkin's office.

We are a bottom 4 team in the league. There aren't many clubs with less depth than the CBJ. We have an excess of warm bodies that we couldn't unload. I don't think that is depth. He couldn't establish himself as a regular player in the lineup over several seasons. I'll give him credit for learning to be better defensively but it still wasn't enough to keep him in the lineup regularly. This was a player we tried to give away earlier this year and nobody wanted him.

And you are right its not fair to compare him to TFW because we haven't hardly seen enough of him in the NHL to make a fair comparison.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure what the job is. He came over here from Europe as a sniper who seemed to really only score over the in Ovechkin's office.

There are tasks all over the ice, and Bemstrom did most of them adequately. He was never much of a goal scorer for the Jackets, in the office or elsewhere. More of a decent all around player.

We are a bottom 4 team in the league. There aren't many clubs with less depth than the CBJ. We have an excess of warm bodies that we couldn't unload. I don't think that is depth.

Ignorant take. No offense but you could have tried looking it up before spouting that.

The Jackets have more scoring depth than your average club, while the Penguins have less. The Jackets have one of the better 5v5 offenses in the league (5th in goals).

The Jackets 7th through 12th scorers, not counting Bemstrom (13th) or Laine (14th) have the following point totals:

The Penguins aren't missing any major scorers, nonetheless their 7th through 12th scorers have the following point totals:

Here's Tampa's:

Both clubs have 3rd liners with less production than Bemstrom. He'll have a job on a club with less depth than the Jackets.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Yeah the team has had great depth scoring this year, the problem has been lacking top end production, haven't looked at 5v5 rates recently but I would guess the really bad PP has been a big part of that.

I've always sort of mildly liked Bemström and I feel he's been judged to a weird standard by the fans... but I never expected or thought of him as a sniper or particularly good offensive player, but as a pretty solid bottom 6 wing who can score at a decent rate for that role. There have been plenty of times in the past when I haven't understood why he wasn't in the line up. Simply no room for him anymore, but back when it was basically a choice between Bemmer, Foudy & Robinson to fill a spot, I would've taken Bemström any day of the week.

I also don't get the digs at Jarmo, it's not like the Jackets ever sacrificed anything to give Bemström a spot and he wasn't a high pick... as for the trade, since there's no room for him and he's been waived before, I guess getting anything in return is a win. It's a win for the Pens as well and I'd imagine he'll be a middle-6 wing there.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think too much is being made of the inclusion of Nylander. That was a contract swap for numbers. The pick may or may not amount to anything but it's a future asset for someone that wasn't playing and had no future in Columbus. Really no downside to this move. It's minor and gives Bemmer a chance elsewhere.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I like this move, Nylander makes the minimum this season with no guarantee he gets resigned. We are out from under that Bemstrom contract next season.

We've officially started purging Jarmo's golden boys who never amounted to anything.

Enough about Abramov and Davidsson though.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There are tasks all over the ice, and Bemstrom did most of them adequately. He was never much of a goal scorer for the Jackets, in the office or elsewhere. More of a decent all around player.

Ignorant take. No offense but you could have tried looking it up before spouting that.

The Jackets have more scoring depth than your average club, while the Penguins have less. The Jackets have one of the better 5v5 offenses in the league (5th in goals).

The Jackets 7th through 12th scorers, not counting Bemstrom (13th) or Laine (14th) have the following point totals:

The Penguins aren't missing any major scorers, nonetheless their 7th through 12th scorers have the following point totals:

Here's Tampa's:

Both clubs have 3rd liners with less production than Bemstrom. He'll have a job on a club with less depth than the Jackets.
Damn. If the 10-12th forward point getters drove the engine, the CBJ would have multiple Stanley Cups.

The players at the bottom of very good teams usually have strictly defined roles (PK/shutdown/etc). On the CBJ, Justin Danforth or Jack Roslovic get first line minutes on regular occasion. Somehow or another, I don't see Crosby/Malkin/Point/Stamkos/Kucherov being "out minuted" by their Danforth or Roslovic equivalents.

This simplistic metric is no indication of depth.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think thats all this trade was. A boost to Cleveland with no chance of losing the player for nothing, "doing right by the player" and giving Bemstrom another NHL crack because long term it wasnt happening here and possibly picking up a 3rd in the process

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad