Confirmed with Link: Bemstrom to PIT for Alex Nylander and a conditional 6th

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
FWIW I am completely indifferent toward Bemstrom.

I will say that the notion that he was never given opportunities in a general sense would be very hard to defend. He played 204 games as a CBJ over 4 seasons including the shortened season. That's a lot of games and opportunity.

If he does become a 25ish goals scorer it would be a surprise to me based on his numbers over ample games played in Columbus. Stranger things have happened but I'd be a confident "under" bettor on future goals scored per season with 25 as the o/u #. I've got nothing against the guy and if he shows much greater numbers elsewhere then more power to him.
Truthlly, I'm less concerned about whether or not he performs at that level elsewhere and more about, if he performs consistently at all, whether or not that becomes yet another club with which the "everything this org does is terrible" contingent tries to browbeat everyone here.

Reactions: Indy18

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m looking forward to this pursuit of 6 and I’m sure we’ll all be really happy for him and won’t be doing any revisionist stuff at all.
Fair warning, anyone attempting Revisionist History griping about Bemstrom should know that I'm going to come down on them like the wrath of G-d. I am so g-ddamned done with this board constantly deliberately looking for its next reason to be miserable.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Fair warning, anyone attempting Revisionist History griping about Bemstrom should know that I'm going to come down on them like the wrath of G-d. I am so g-ddamned done with this board constantly deliberately looking for its next reason to be miserable.
Maybe less caffeine will take the edge off.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am so g-ddamned done with this board constantly deliberately looking for its next reason to be miserable.

I don’t know that we need to look for reasons. We have this:

1708911490492.png

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He beat my very low expectations. Managed the puck well.

I'm curious what it will look like in a game where the Jackets don't have space all night. It was a little easy tonight.
Agreed but I thought they would have less space playing the NYR than they did. I think they created their space last night. They looked quick, made better decisions and kept the puck moving

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think part of the Bemstrom disappointment stems from Jarmo almost always overhyping his own prospects. He did the same things with Davidsson, Abramov, Vehvilainen, etc.

That said, I don't think the coaching staff(s) did him any favors with integrating his game to NA/the NHL. He could also just be a classic "great international player but can't put it together in the NHL" kind of guy.

Hope he does well and hits those six goals this season.

EDIT - are we doing a TDL 2024 separate thread?

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I think part of the Bemstrom disappointment stems from Jarmo almost always overhyping his own prospects. He did the same things with Davidsson, Abramov, Vehvilainen, etc.

That said, I don't think the coaching staff(s) did him any favors with integrating his game to NA/the NHL. He could also just be a classic "great international player but can't put it together in the NHL" kind of guy.

Hope he does well and hits those six goals this season.

EDIT - are we doing a TDL 2024 separate thread?

Do you have the quote where jarmo “overhyped” bemstrom?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Do you have the quote where jarmo “overhyped” bemstrom?

“He’s at 20 goals in the Swedish league, at the age of 19, he’s on the (Swedish) men’s national team. … No one really talks about him, but every time I talk to a general manager, that’s the first guy they ask about,” Kekalainen said of Bemstrom that day.

“Or they ask about Liam Foudy, who’s on fire in London (Ontario Hockey League) or they ask about Alexandre Texier. And it’s a ‘no’ every time. It’s a nonstarter. But we know that we’re not just overrating those guys, because that’s the first question they always ask, is about one of those three guys.”

Via - Blue Jackets’ Emil Bemstrom flashing potential on offense

While a roster spot is by no means promised, Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen has spoken openly about the likelihood that Bemstrom will be an NHL regular next season, with a chance to not only play in the Jackets’ top six but also to see time on the long-dormant power play.

Kekalainen mentioned Bemstrom at the trade deadline last fall as part of his justification for trading away all those draft picks to go “all in” for the playoffs. He mentioned him again at last weekend’s draft, when the Jackets made only three picks, none until the fourth round.

“Emil Bemstrom is ready to take on the challenge,” Kekalainen said. “He’s going to get an opportunity to show what he can do.”

One year ago, the Blue Jackets were pumping the tires of prospect forward Jonathan Davidsson, saying he would push for a roster spot in 2018-19. He didn’t come close, really, and less than a year later he was traded to Ottawa in a deadline deal when Kekalainen deemed him something less than a top prospect

Via - Blue Jackets have high hopes that hard-shooting Emil Bemstrom will make a splash in 2019-20

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

To me, sounds like regular stuff a GM would say about a prospect they liked.

“Potential to be an Important part of the org”

“He’s going to get an Opportunity to show what he can do”

“NHL regular”

I don’t see any mention of assuring him of a top 6, star, top liner, or anything you’d hear out of an “overhyped prospect.”

When I think of overhyped, I think of what Jay Feaster did to Mark Jankowski, when he said he’d be the best player in the draft as a mid 20s draft pick.

Jarmo basically just said bemmer had potential to be an important player. Which maybe that’s “overhyping” but that’s, like, typical GM language?

Also that’s just from a press release. It’s such a blanket statement.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

“NHL regular”

I don’t see any mention of assuring him of a top 6, star, top liner, or anything you’d hear out of an “overhyped prospect.”

When I think of overhyped, I think of what Jay Feaster did to Mark Jankowski, when he said he’d be the best player in the draft as a mid 20s draft pick.

Jarmo basically just said bemmer had potential to be an important player. Which maybe that’s “overhyping” but that’s, like, typical GM language?

If anything is to go by with this fanbase everything FO says is gospel and if they don't meet expectations then FO was intentionally lying about it to sell tickets. I am still seeing people complain they only bought season tickets because Jarmo said this was a playoff team...come on now y'all should know every player signed is going to be a great contributor to the team and its always going to be a playoff bound team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

“NHL regular”

He was cited as an untouchable at the 2019 TDL. I don't think continually citing "most goals as a teenager in the SHL" helped matters.

That was also just what I found searching for two minutes. I did not track down every interview Jarmo gave.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He was cited as an untouchable at the 2019 TDL. I don't think continually citing "most goals as a teenager in the SHL" helped matters.

That was also just what I found searching for two minutes. I did not track down every interview Jarmo gave.
You mean the season when he was almost a PPG in international play and put up 35 pts in 40 something games in his first season in the SHL? I don't think too many GMs would be keen on trading a player a year or two after they drafted them and were trending in the right directions.

Revisionist history is easy when you don't provide context.

For the record, I'm not a huge bemstrom fan, but the potential was definitely there, especially during that time frame.

Just like Dumais, the potential to be a game changer is there, but it was always a boom/bust pick. Yeah he's got value now and we could probably get some picks for him, or we can let him develop and see what he actually becomes.

The same could be said of KJ, he was THE boom/bust pick of the entire draft. In a few years it might be obvious that we shouldve traded both.

Either way, if Bemstrom scores 5 more goals we got back a better pick than what we used to take him.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad