TSN: Belief is Canucks offered pick #7 for Noah Hanifin (unknown if it was a package)

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Hanifin is a good player but for where Canucks are I'd rather just draft a Dman at 7th. This Benning is an idiot with no cap management skills. Please can somebody in Canucks front office realize they need a cap understanding personnel ala Laurence Gilman or someone like him.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think Dobson is a better prospect than Hanifin tbh, wouldn't do it if i was the canucks and dobson is available

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina is better off using Hanifin in a package to get a top level C rather than get a package for him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Tkachuk is BPA, this trade could make sense.

If Dobson or Hughes, or really even Bouchard, are there as BPA this trade makes no sense.

If it's a center...well wouldn't that be a toss up...

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Well I don't see Hanafin for 7th straight up as fair so things would need to be added to balance it out.
Vancouver can throw in Sutter and Gudbranson and Carolina can throw in the 2nd overall. That should even it up

Sutter
Gudbranson
7th overall
for
Hanafin
2nd overall

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
So Carolina fans, who’s really running the show, is it Waddel or Dundon? Would go a long way to knowing what’s what.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would think this deal only goes down if Kotkaniemi is on the board at 7... which I think is unlikely.

When was the last time a draft day trade based on who dropped to a pick included a roster player asset as valued as Hanifan?

It doesn’t seem to ever happen.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Nothing.

Did I say otherwise?

Strongly disagree with the bolded.

How do you explain the great prospect pool?

As I said, I have "mixed feelings" on the rumoured trade offer... Hanifin is a "honerun" (sic).

I'll reverse your question...

If you believe 3 of Canucks' last 4 drafts have been "subpar" then why not trade the 7th for a "honerun" (sic).

And I'm just stating that the majority of Canuck fans at large disagrees with the majority of HF Canuck fans.

The term "echo chamber" springs to mind, you used the word "bonkers" not I...

The fact he's thrown picks isn't excused by a averageaverage p pool.

Remove Pettersson and that "great prospect pool" looks pretty weak. The 2014 draft has been reduced to Virtanen (bad pick) and Demko. The 2015 draft has Boeser(a homerun) and a unknown in Gaudette. 2016 has one player likely to make a impact in Juolevi. 2017 they clearly changed something in their decision-making at that draft. I would hope they can repeat on that.

I don't think Hanifin for the 7th is a homerun. I'd much rather take that pick and trust Brackett and co to draft a Dman if they can continue to show strong drafting.

So because a majority a number of us on HF Canucks believe Benning has done a bad job we're a echo chamber ? What do you call the other forums who go on the opposing thought process ?

I used the term bonkers to describe HF Canucks fans and their feelings to Benning constantly throwing away picks and never referred other fans as such so don't even try alluding to that.

I won't even go into you trying to mock a spelling mistake on my part(one letter wrong sue me) since I know you're just trying to take away from my points.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The fact he's thrown picks isn't excused by a averageaverage p pool.

Not "a averageaverage p pool" (sic)...

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

I'm just going to leave it there for the sake of not straying too far off topic...

I don't think Hanifin for the 7th is a homerun. I'd much rather take that pick and trust Brackett and co to draft a Dman if they can continue to show strong drafting.

Attaboy, never give Lord Benning any credit no matter what!

You're entitled to your opinion of Hanifin of course...

So because a majority a number of us on HF Canucks believe Benning has done a bad job we're a echo chamber ?

No it's an echo chamber because it's an echo chamber.

What do you call the other forums who go on the opposing thought process ?

The other forums are much more balanced imesho.

I used the term bonkers to describe HF Canucks fans and their feelings to Benning constantly throwing away picks and never referred other fans as such so don't even try alluding to that.

I don't understand... you said "the majority of HF Canucks are bonkers".

I won't even go into you trying to mock a spelling mistake on my part(one letter wrong sue me) since I know you're just trying to take away from my points.

Wait what... it's not "mocking" to add... (sic)... to a direct quote that was originally misspelled!

No offense intended my friend...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Not "a averageaverage p pool" (sic)...

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

I'm just going to leave it there for the sake of not straying too far off topic...

Attaboy, never give Lord Benning any credit no matter what!

You're entitled to your opinion of Hanifin of course...

No it's an echo chamber because it's an echo chamber.

The other forums are much more balanced imesho.

I don't understand... you said "the majority of HF Canucks are bonkers".

Wait what... it's not "mocking" to add... (sic)... to a direct quote that was originally misspelled!

No offense intended my friend...

I'll make this my last post regarding our discussion so I don't unnecessarily fill up the thread. I'll disagree with the other forums being more balanced and say I understand the (sic) thing, but it was one letter and needlessly quoting it feels unneeded.

We clearly disagree on the strength of the Canucks prospect pool. I'll just simplify my opinion and say it needs much more depth to it before I think it's a strong pool and I want to see them build off a strong 2017 draft. I'd prefer more picks coming in rather than them going out.

I said Benning throwing away picks drives Canucks fans bonkers, there's a difference. I can think of one instance where him throwing a pick away has sort of paid off and that's Baertschi. The other trades leaving us with less picks were needless in my opinion, again I want more picks not less or the status quo seven. I'd much rather see them use the 7th overall on the BPA and go from there. I'm a fan of adding picks and developing prospects rather than moving pieces before we see what the amateur scouts can bring.

Regarding what this thread is about, I'm very hesitant to trade for Hanifin considering the following: He's a LHD and we have a bit of a backlog of Lefties, His offensive upside(I can't really comment on this, Canes fans chime in please) and how much further he can grow as a player overall. The most important thing is the cost, if it's the 7th overall straight up I can see it working out in the end, but if it's taking out pieces of our prospect pool I'd rather just make the pick.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hanifin is a bit of a hard player to project because the prevailing description of him coming into the league was so different than the player he's been thus far. I believe Button pushed a Bouwmeester comparable as a polished, smooth skating minute-muncher with limited offensive upside. As it turned out, Hanifin's actually been an offensive defenseman with a raw defensive game. The closer stylistic comparable in my mind is Ekman-Larsson.

There is reason for optimism that if he gets his defensive game together, the vision and creativity needed to be an offensive threat on a top-pairing will be there.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’ll add one thing about Hanifin here.

As of right now - he excels at controlled zone exits, transitional play, and carrying the puck. The knock on him however is that once he gets to the opposing teams’ blue line, a mental “electric fence” pops in his mind. Here’s the thing though - he’s only 21. As has been proven numerous times, defensemen often take a little longer to develop (21-25).

While I wouldn’t be willing to sell the farm for Hanifin, I do think Hanifin is a guy that could realistically take the next step. He seemed to take the a significant step forward last season.

As far as Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist goes, I’m not entirely sure why Linden/Benning don’t seem to be satisfied in taking one of those guys, by perhaps they see something that we don’t. We all know that there is some significant risk variance with Boqvist. The guy could be a superstar in this league or he could be a bust. Dobson seems like a good steady choice, but does he have superstar upside? Is Bouchard’s agility too much of a concern? Who knows.

Hopefully, Benning knows what he’s doing. FWIW, I didn’t understand why Benning drafted Boeser and Pettersson in 2015 and 2017 respectively, and they seem to be trending quite well. Will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Hanifin’s defensive play needs some work, but again........the dude is 21. Lots of time to improve here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masochist Caniac

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I could see it happening.

Wahlstrom could be the pick in that spot. Adding him and Svechnikov would be huge for the offense, and they have the D prospects to cover for the loss of Hanifin.

maybe Van adds a little though. Goldobin + pick 7 for Hanifin?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
nope, I live In BC and this is how daft most of the nucks fans are.

If #2 is going, Pettersson is the minimum going back, nucks fans. As in you're adding to him and not just a little.
If Vancouver is willing to give up Pettersson, then they should contact Montreal.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
For people that don’t understand the Canucks possibly trading #7 for Hanafin, the logic is actually quite simple.

Vancouver is building their next core that they want to contend with. Generally speaking you want you defencemen to be at least the same age, or a touch older than your forward core. Reason being that Dmen tend to take a bit longer to hit their prime, so if you want the core to peak together, this idea would be that they feel Hanafin is the right age to step into the current forward group (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Gadjovic) with Juolevi to form a half of their future top 4, and that they feel like Hanafin is as good or better than the players they might get at #7.

I don’t see this deal happening until the draft floor. Basically if the top 6 goes D heavy, both teams will benefit as Van will get their top 4 D with top pair upside, whom they can throw right into their roster, while Carolina can draft two impact forwards. If they walk away with Svechnikov and Tkachuk/wahlstrom.... holy hell thats an amazing haul, also considering that all these players are ready or very close to NHL ready.

If however the forwards go, Van will take the D they like at 7 (whom I believe is Dobson) and Carolina will pass.

Honestly as a Canucks fan, I’ll be happy either way, so long they don’t spend any other unnecessary building assets on this deal.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
A pick for Hanifin seems odd.
You'd think he would be used as currency to obtain a ready forward

I keep coming back to Buffalo... when looking at a Hanifin deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad