TSN: Belief is Canucks offered pick #7 for Noah Hanifin (unknown if it was a package)

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Well the rumoured offer was the 7th overall for Hanifin.

Then you started talking about he 7th overall plus a prospect.

Now you're suddenly you're talking about "two pieces or more".

Fair to assume you're talking top prospects here since you are concerned about "the team's future"

... combined with the fact you only seem to like our top prospects.

You're muddying the waters friend.

1) The report says they offered #7, it doesn't take out the possibility of add-ons.

2) Yes I am concerned about the teams future with Benning at the helm as GM. You disagree and that's fine.

3) You're assuming and assuming wrong at that. I liked the 2017 draft as a whole, but I don't like the overall depth of the pool since I feel that their drafting has been inconsistent as explained previously.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
We don't know that the Canes don't want to keep him. Hanifin's Agent was quoted a week ago saying certain hockey markets like to drum this stuff up but there isn't much to it (or something like that). I think this is a case of the Canes saying they will listen on anyone and would move anyone if it was the right deal. In some case (Like I believe with Skinner), they are probably actively shopping the guy. In other cases (like I believe with Hanifin), they are listening to offers and would consider it, but only if the deal was really good.

Here's the tweet:

This has been a very one-sided rumor thus far. Posters are reading too much into this from a Carolina perspective. The takeaways at this point are (1) Vancouver is interested in the player and (2) Hanifin's value is high in the eyes of the Canucks. Whether Carolina actually is going to trade him or if the Canes are interested in a draft pick base is very uncertain at the moment.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
For people that don’t understand the Canucks possibly trading #7 for Hanafin, the logic is actually quite simple.

Vancouver is building their next core that they want to contend with. Generally speaking you want you defencemen to be at least the same age, or a touch older than your forward core. Reason being that Dmen tend to take a bit longer to hit their prime, so if you want the core to peak together, this idea would be that they feel Hanafin is the right age to step into the current forward group (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Gadjovic) with Juolevi to form a half of their future top 4, and that they feel like Hanafin is as good or better than the players they might get at #7.

I don’t see this deal happening until the draft floor. Basically if the top 6 goes D heavy, both teams will benefit as Van will get their top 4 D with top pair upside, whom they can throw right into their roster, while Carolina can draft two impact forwards. If they walk away with Svechnikov and Tkachuk/wahlstrom.... holy hell thats an amazing haul, also considering that all these players are ready or very close to NHL ready.

If however the forwards go, Van will take the D they like at 7 (whom I believe is Dobson) and Carolina will pass.

Honestly as a Canucks fan, I’ll be happy either way, so long they don’t spend any other unnecessary building assets on this deal.
This has been the best breakdown I've read on all the Hanifin boards in a while. Well done. That being said, personally I would rather just take whichever is available in this order: Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
if it's the 7th overall straight up I can see it working out in the end, but if it's taking out pieces of our prospect pool I'd rather just make the pick.
But you are on record saying said prospect pool is weak.
You're good with giving up the 7th overall but don't want to touch "a weak prospect pool"? :huh:
Weak likely meaning shallow. Not much after juolevi, demko, Peterson, Dahlen, Lind. Don’t have enough depth to add a young piece to the 7th pick.
Exactly my feeling towards the prospect pool. I just don't see it making sense for the teams future if it's two pieces or more for one at this stage it would be a step back.
Now you're suddenly you're talking about "two pieces or more".
Fair to assume you're talking top prospects here since you are concerned about "the team's future"
... combined with the fact you only seem to like our top prospects.
You're muddying the waters friend.
You're assuming and assuming wrong at that. I liked the 2017 draft as a whole, but I don't like the overall depth of the pool since I feel that their drafting has been inconsistent as explained previously.

Waters = completely muddied.

Care to explain the "two pieces or more" to which you referred?

You are now saying they weren’t top prospects

… so what then is your imagined return for Hanifin?

And why are you imagining it?

Or perhaps we should just go back to the original 7th for Hanifin rumour.

Or not, since we have both already expressed mixed feeling on that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Here's the tweet:

This has been a very one-sided rumor thus far. Posters are reading too much into this from a Carolina perspective. The takeaways at this point are (1) Vancouver is interested in the player and (2) Hanifin's value is high in the eyes of the Canucks. Whether Carolina actually is going to trade him or if the Canes are interested in a draft pick base is very uncertain at the moment.

Yeah I think all we've really had out of Carolina is that new owners brought in a new GM and they're looking to do a shakeup, but no real details are given... except for maybe Jeff Skinner.

Now if you're Jim Benning and you know this Hanafin would be a guy to target and the 7th overall you're best trading chip. Wouldn't be the first time he's done this, we know he tried trading the 2015 1st (Boeser) for Lucic and the 2016 1st (Juolevi) for Subban.

The point is that's all you need to get the media rumour mills running, but it doesn't mean it's something Carolina is actually considering. It is good value for them but not sure if that's the direction they want considering they're already picking above that and they probably want to start competing, so if they were going to trade Hanafin a guy like O'Reilly would be a much more suitable target.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Waters = completely muddied.

Care to explain the "two pieces or more" to which you referred?

You are now saying they weren’t top prospects

… so what then is your imagined return for Hanifin?

And why are you imagining it?

Or perhaps we should just go back to the original 7th for Hanifin rumour.

Or not, since we have both already expressed mixed feeling on that.

You just keep falsely concluding what I've said for it to fit your argument. I can't really see a point in this going further when you feel the need to continue warping my points into misconstrued conclusions.

Regarding the thread and the article, the article never once confirms or denies the offer is 7th straight up and it doesn't seem to be straight up either given what else we've heard from other reporters. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You just keep falsely concluding what I've said for it to fit your argument. I can't really see a point in this going further when you feel the need to continue warping my points into misconstrued conclusions.

Regarding the thread and the article, the article never once confirms or denies the offer is 7th straight up and it doesn't seem to be straight up either given what else we've heard from other reporters. Not a hard concept to grasp.

I resent your accusation (failure to communicate is on you bro) and am still waiting for you to detail the "two pieces or more".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I think all we've really had out of Carolina is that new owners brought in a new GM and they're looking to do a shakeup, but no real details are given... except for maybe Jeff Skinner.

Now if you're Jim Benning and you know this Hanafin would be a guy to target and the 7th overall you're best trading chip. Wouldn't be the first time he's done this, we know he tried trading the 2015 1st (Boeser) for Lucic and the 2016 1st (Juolevi) for Subban.

The point is that's all you need to get the media rumour mills running, but it doesn't mean it's something Carolina is actually considering. It is good value for them but not sure if that's the direction they want considering they're already picking above that and they probably want to start competing, so if they were going to trade Hanafin a guy like O'Reilly would be a much more suitable target.
More along the lines of reinhart or mittlestadt makes more sense for the canes. Closer in age to what they are giving up. Carolina isn’t contending in the near future, so just wasting RORs best years.

If they move hanifin the canes are better off adding to get a C around the same age range than to take a package for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad