TSN: Belief is Canucks offered pick #7 for Noah Hanifin (unknown if it was a package)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The belief is the Vancouver Canucks offered the No. 7 overall pick in discussions for Carolina defenceman Noah Hanifin (12). Once you get past No. 6 in this year’s draft, the common refrain is many teams will be willing to trade down. That usually means few teams will be willing to pay a premium to move up that high. Either way, it’s believed Don Waddell and the Hurricanes would prefer to move Justin Faulk (11) before Hanifin. But Waddell isn’t afraid to shake things up.

https://www.tsn.ca/erik-karlsson-tops-first-trade-bait-board-of-the-summer-1.1105047

Reactions: Unsustainable

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I heard this deal was on the table a couple weeks ago, and the back half I heard was it is still player dependent (I don't know who the player is though) on who is available at 7.

Jan 21, 2018
Well canes fans assured us there is ZERO chance Hanifin gets dealt for a pick that is lower than the one he was selected with.

They also claimed that Hanifin is a proven dman, and trading him for an unproven draft pick is absurd.

I really hope this trade goes down :)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Well canes fans assured us there is ZERO chance Hanifin gets dealt for a pick that is lower than the one he was selected with.

They also claimed that Hanifin is a proven dman, and trading him for an unproven draft pick is absurd.

Do you have the links to the threads in which the posts with such language are located?

This is about what Vancouver was offering, not what Carolina was asking for anyway. This really doesn't prove anything, except that Hanifin's trade value is high.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

1) Not all Canes fans have said there is ZERO chance he'd get moved for that.
2) He is a proven D man so trading him for an unproven pick is risky.
3) We don't know if the deal is Hanifin for #7OA or if other pieces are included.
4) Most fans are assuming there aren't any contractual issues at play here. If Hanifin is demanding too much or there are contract issues, all bets are off.

I always love it when posters like you take a few snippets and make sweeping generalizations like the one you did above. ;)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I heard this deal was on the table a couple weeks ago, and the back half I heard was it is still player dependent (I don't know who the player is though) on who is available at 7.
That really doesn’t male much sense for Carolina. They are at a stage where they need to get into the playoffs . Dealing their best trade asset for the 7th pick in the draft who won’t be in the Nhl this coming season doesn’t make much sense. They need a good C in return, like The preds and jackets deal of Jones for johansen. Vancouver doesn’t have that C to spare. I think the top 2 C in this draft project out to to 2C guys.

Plus hanifin hasn’t lived up t his lofty draft ratings yet. Passed by warenski and provorov.

If you are the Canucks is hanifin going to be better than the other D options at #7 Cause all but Hughes are RHD, which the Canucks sorely lack in their system.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I realize that Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko etc.. are all untouchable. I'd have some heartburn trading Hanifin for the #7OA, but I guess it depends who is there and what else might be added.

If the draft goes: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkahoweveryouspellit, Zadina, Hughes, Boqvist...and it means the Canes can take Tkachuk or Wahlstrom, then I'd have less heartburn. I'd hate to get the #7OA and draft a defenseman who might be as good as Hanifin in 2-3 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That really doesn’t male much sense for Carolina. They are at a stage where they need to get into the playoffs . Dealing their best trade asset for the 7th pick in the draft who won’t be in the Nhl this coming season doesn’t make much sense. They need a good C in return, like The preds and jackets deal of Jones for johansen. Vancouver doesn’t have that C to spare. I think the top 2 C in this draft project out to to 2C guys.

Plus hanifin hasn’t lived up t his lofty draft ratings yet. Passed by warenski and provorov.

If you are the Canucks is hanifin going to be better than the other D options at #7 Cause all but Hughes are RHD, which the Canucks sorely lack in their system.
They also have to pay Hanifin, and soon Aho. No one knows what Dundon is willing to spend. Also, new regimes can lead to dramatic changes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Idk why the Canes would trade Hanifin for the 7th pick, when they'll most likely end up drafting a defenseman at 7.

I agree if the plan is to take a defenseman, it makes no sense (unless there are contract issue we don't know about). There's a fair chance Wahlstrom or Tkachuk will be there at #7 and the Canes may really like one of them and then it might make sense.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would think this deal only goes down if Kotkaniemi is on the board at 7... which I think is unlikely.

Reactions: Jorkkila

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Idk why the Canes would trade Hanifin for the 7th pick, when they'll most likely end up drafting a defenseman at 7.

This doesn't make much sense from a pure need perspective. There has to be some internal motivation on the Carolina side for a trade like this to go down. It would either have to be Hanifin's contract demands not fitting in with Carolina's salary structure or the team being bearish on him long-term and wanting to cash out while his value is high. No insider has yet to shed light on that, unfortunately.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I would think this deal only goes down if Kotkaniemi is on the board at 7... which I think is unlikely.

Possible because Finn, but have a sneaking suspicion that we want Tkachuk and he's the player it would be contingent on (unlikely he slips to #7 tho).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This doesn't make much sense from a pure need perspective. There has to be some internal motivation on the Carolina side for a trade like this to go down. It would either have to be Hanifin's contract demands not fitting in with Carolina's salary structure or the team being bearish on him long-term and wanting to cash out while his value is high. No insider has yet to shed light on that, unfortunately.

Coming out of this draft with Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi.... seems like motivation enough to me (given their D depth).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad