Prospect Info: Behind The Draft - tonight

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He made no sounds of saying he had Dumba there IMO. Didn't sound like it at all to me.

I think he predicted how it was going to end, he said so in the past interviews he has gotten a good prediction on who was going to go after who.

Snow called Burke prior to the Gally pick, and asked him if he wanted to flip. Mo had a feeling The Habs were going for Rielly, Dumba, or more so Gally. To me this is clear he had Rielly, Gally or Dumba in the top 5.

Let's say Habs took Rielly, NY Isles would have taken Gally over Reinhart. Mo certainly was willing to live with Dumba as the 5th pick had this played out. But Isles picked Reinhart inexplicably and that left them to choose from Rielly or Dumba.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he predicted how it was going to end, he said so in the past interviews he has gotten a good prediction on who was going to go after who.

I get that but to me if you really want a guy you'd ensure you get him. Seemed to me that they were ok with who was left.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Thx for posting the yt
That was more of a meet our new draftees than a behind the scenes
Pretty boring stuff

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I knew very little of Reilly and Finn but it's good to see the both seem like they have very good heads on their shoulders.

Question I had after watching was if the Leafs really had Reilly ranked #1 why would they have not moved up to ensure they got him? Sounded to me like they were happy with whoever was going to fall to them.

I thought more people would be talking about this. Especially with the Isles picking ahead of us, you'd think they're the type of team to make a ballsy pick like Rielly at 4. To me, it means they liked somebody just about as much as Rielly, and they knew they'd be getting one of them. I'm wondering if it's Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Reilly's dad should play for the Leafs. I haven't seen anyone else more excited about it.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for posting this on YT.

I don't think Bettman believed a word out Burke's mouth when Burke was saying he had Rielly ranked #1.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought more people would be talking about this. Especially with the Isles picking ahead of us, you'd think they're the type of team to make a ballsy pick like Rielly at 4. To me, it means they liked somebody just about as much as Rielly, and they knew they'd be getting one of them. I'm wondering if it's Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg?

There was little separation from 1-5 on the Leafs list I surmise, Leafs had Rielly at #1, but it probably wasn't a wide margin. So Morrison's recommend was it made little sense to give Snow something for so little. Think the Leafs were pretty much prepared for the leftover of Dumba or Rielly before Snow picked Reinhart. :shakehead

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah love these little behind the scenes snapshots of the draft.

If anyone doubts Dave Morrison as a good scout, you kind of see just how good he is when he tells Burke "no" if there is any advantage moving up to 4. He pegged the first 3 picks, and got the man they wanted.

I think it is also pretty clear he was willing to take Dumba if the Islanders selected Rielly.

As others mentioned, we can finally put to rest Leafs had rated Gally higher, by this video. Rielly was clearly the #1 targeted pick by the Leafs.

If I had to take a guess I think it was like this on our list.

1. Rielly
2. Murray
3. Yakupov
4. Gally
5. Dumba

Yeah Burke seemed dissapointed I thought when Mo didn't want to move up, he wouldn't even barely entertain the idea. I think Mo liked somebody just about as much as Rielly, since he had a good handle on the top 3 and felt the isles were going with a D, he really was taking a huge gamble with Rielly getting passed by the Isles imho. We thought Dumba was on our radar back then, it seems more true now. I wonder if Trouba or Forsberg were maybe an option in a trade down scenario, which Burke was looking to entertain.

Well played by Mo to not move up, almost for sure our 2nd rounder would have went to the Isles, and as you mentioned, we really got another 1st round caliber prospect with that pick.

I have to mention, I liked what I saw from Burke in the way he operates. He certainly let Mo run things (I wasn't quite sure if he did before) and I like how he let Snow know that he wasn't going to make a bid for the swap asap.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah Burke seemed dissapointed I thought when Mo didn't want to move up, he wouldn't even barely entertain the idea. I think Mo liked somebody just about as much as Rielly, since he had a good handle on the top 3 and felt the isles were going with a D, he really was taking a huge gamble with Rielly getting passed by the Isles imho. We thought Dumba was on our radar back then, it seems more true now. I wonder if Trouba or Forsberg were maybe an option in a trade down scenario, which Burke was looking to entertain.

Well played by Mo to not move up, almost for sure our 2nd rounder would have went to the Isles, and as you mentioned, we really got another 1st round caliber prospect with that pick.

I have to mention, I liked what I saw from Burke in the way he operates. He certainly let Mo run things (I wasn't quite sure if he did before) and I like how he let Snow know that he wasn't going to make a bid for the swap asap.

Snow as high on Reinhart over others is confounding? I had him in the 10 area, He's a good reliable defender, but he certainly plays small for his size. Snow could have dropped back further if he wanted him. Reminds me of the Bailey pick, but in that situation he netted 2 picks to do this. Leave it to the Isles to be so inept. In the end I think Morrison was willing to take Dumba, Rielly, or Gally at #5 had it played out that way, Mo seemed to think the Habs were entertaining the thought of picking Rielly. Maybe this is where Burke meant he would consider to address a need over a D man he rated similarly. All we know is Rielly was the man we wanted all along, so all is well if you are a Leafs fan. Well played by Mo and Burke for listening to him 2 straight years. Burke wanted Percy and Mo read that one correctly also.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Were the top 3 already picked when Snow 1st talked to Burke?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

He said in an interview that the draft day belongs to the scouts. He is of course the GM making the final decision but he leave a lot of the decision to the staff.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
When Koekoek and Rielly are talking Slater says: "I didnt think you were going" and Morgan replies "Niether did I"

You cant really hear what Slater ended with but I wonder if he maent he didnt think Rielly was going to get picked that high. Kinda cool to hear two good friends talk, you can tell both are just so elated

And lol at the Leafs brass when Nonis reads out Lupul's tweet.

Badger25

Jul 23, 2012
Toronto
What I liked about the older Behind the Drafts was you got to listen in and speculate on what the GMs coulda/woulda done.The more recent editions focus more on the picks themselves, which is fine, but I'm sure the audience was looking for more attention to trade buzz. The management laughing at Lupul's tweet was the hilight so far.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
When Koekoek and Rielly are talking Slater says: "I didnt think you were going" and Morgan replies "Niether did I"

You cant really hear what Slater ended with but I wonder if he maent he didnt think Rielly was going to get picked that high. Kinda cool to hear two good friends talk, you can tell both are just so elated

And lol at the Leafs brass when Nonis reads out Lupul's tweet.

Lupul tweet was epic hahah

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Were the top 3 already picked when Snow 1st talked to Burke?

He called Burke before the Habs picked, it seems Snow was willing to move down to add picks. To Leafs credit we didn't, Snow already snowed us on the Luke Schenn deal, we did well this year.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
According to HF the most talented players in the draft. So it is not impossible that Leafs really had Rielly as their #1 target seeing as speaking of natural talent, the kind that cant really be taught he was as good if not better then Yak and Gal.

And if you consider the other moves the management have done (post Kessel trade) you can see a red line in their thinking. They have traded away Schenn, Aulie, Veersteeg and acquired JVR, Ashton, Gardiner, Lupol and Liles then with their top picks drafted Rielly (very high hockey IQ, smooth skater, good hands and a good leader), Finn (smart, mobile and defensively stable with leadership qualities), Percy (high hockey IQ, mobile and a good leader) and Biggs (big power forward).

So they have traded away a small but skilled forward and two big defensive d-man and instead added a lot of size up front and smaller (still not undersized) but very smart and mobile defenders. And if you look at it like that then picking Rielly makes perfect sense since he is the best of them all.

In a few years I can see us playing a smart positional game in our own zone with hard forechecking forwards in the offensive zone.

Yakupov 9.0 C
Yakupov is considered the best pure goal-scorer from the 2012 NHL Draft. In addition to great hands, Yakupov may be the best skater in the draft. The main negative for Yakupov is that he's more of a pure finisher than an overall offensive talent; he needs to work on involving his teammates more and setting up plays. The smallish Yakupov also experienced some injury problems in 2011-12, something that could be a problem in an NHL increasingly ruled by big men.

Galchenyuk 8.5 C
Many scouts felt that Galchenyuk was more talented overall than his Sarnia Sting teammate, Nail Yakupov. Galchenyuk may not be the natural goal-scorer that Yakupov is, but he has good hands and the ability to see and make plays that the average player may not be able to conjure up. Galchenyuk also pays attention to the defensive side of the game, moreso than does Yakupov. In time, Galchenyuk should be a contender to be a No. 1 center with the Canadiens.

Rielly 8.5 C
Rielly was the top offensive defenseman in the 2012 draft class. His skating, passing, and puck skills are all top-notch, and he puts those skills to good use. Rielly has the look of a future power-play quarterback and puck-rushing defenseman. He'll need to work on his defensive game, but that isn't likely to keep him from making an arrival in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Very disappointed that they did not show their "table" chatter when they got close to their 2nd pick and Finn was still on the board.

Same way as i was so disappointed that there was no "table" chatter around the trade up to get Biggs.

IMO, those ended up being 2 of the top 3 story's of the past 2 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad