Prospect Info: Behind The Draft - tonight

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought he also mentioned thinking the Habs might take Dumba...but I think you're on the money, they saw little separation in the top 5. If Isles were looking for a big defender, they should have gone with Trouba, who is similarly sized but actually known for his physicality. Snow could have even played their favourite game of trade-down and come out looking like a genius. Easy for me to say so in hindsight, in truth I was extremely worried that Burke was gonna make a "reach" type pick for Trouba at 5, or drop down a few slots to take him...I say I was worried because Trouba had been compared to a better skating Luke Schenn at the time...and he was basically the most stereotypical 'Brian Burke' type pick in our range.

Trouba never showed the offence he showed with Team USA, he was certainly a surprise to me.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He said that when he drafted him at 5.

In listening it sounded like they knew who would be gone by the time they were drafting, they only sounded worried about the Islanders. Doesn't sound like a team worried about drafting the first overall.

Bettman's comment came across to me as, "Yes sure you did."

They are not being recorded without their knowledge, so let's not believe there isn't some massaging of the truth here.

Yeah, Bettmans reply rubbed me the same way too

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Of course the Leafs had Rielly rated #1. There's no way they were getting Yakupov and they knew that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Technically, if you cross off names you have no opportunity to get you can claim the player you select was ranked 1st. on your list. :sarcasm:

Galchenyuk is a PPG player in the NHL.

Using legalese, yes, i believe that to be correct.:)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Technically, if you cross off names you have no opportunity to get you can claim the player you select was ranked 1st. on your list. :sarcasm:

Galchenyuk is a PPG player in the NHL.

I don't want to put undo pressure on Morgan Rielly, but had he made the Leafs out of camp he could be a PPG d man with us right now after 8 games, but luckily for us Nonis resisted Luke Schenn-ing him. :laugh:

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
I personally was really disappointed with this years Behind the Draft, I was watching the preview the Buffalo writer for Hockeybuzz had and it was saying that Buffalo and Toronto almost had a trade for there 2 picks. There was really nothing behind the scenes(trade wise) this year, except a possible trade with NYI.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
And he wasn't ready.

So we don't have to put any pressure on him.

I don't think that he wasn't ready. It just made sense to have him go back to junior because this was a very short training camp, no rookie tournament that is held annually, zero preseason games etc plus we have Liles and soon Gardiner to be on the Leafs.

Rielly could be put on the Leafs PP right now and he'd outscore any Leaf defenseman. We just don't have that creativity a guy like Gardiner and Rielly could provide.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Id rather have Reilly back in juniors than bring him up and play with the leafs. Look at Schenn, he was good in first year but was ruined after.. Let him develop and get his knee back to 100% and then we call him up. We aren't in a rush anyways.. solid move by Nonis and Carlyle to send him back:D

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Not what I was expecting at all. The previous years were amazing this year was very lackluster. I think it's mainly due to Burkes stupid we wanted rielly at first that made it that way. I'm almost positive the whole draft board discussions were about galchenyuk so they didn't show it to not look stupid

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jesus people.... only a handful of teams do these, and yet you guys are bashing it because it didn't have trade talk? Well, maybe we weren't talking trade? And it sucks that there wasn't footage of meetings, but they were trying to make it more about the players

It sucks it wasn't as good as last year, but it was still good to see.

Also, there is another 30 mins to come in the hour version being released after this season, so we may see the meetings/more trade talk then.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How many teams passed on him?

Probably was a good pick, but the fact he was passed over so many times likely means those teams took BPA, and he wasn't their BPA.

We can patiently wait for him to prove them wrong.

Sometimes there are picks that slip into the 2nd rd that are inexplicable, PK Subban was picked 43 in 2007, when I see some of the names picked before him, I wonder what GM's and Scouts were thinking? Not like he played in Timbuk 2 or something.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Sometimes there are picks that slip into the 2nd rd that are inexplicable, PK Subban was picked 43 in 2007, when I see some of the names picked before him, I wonder what GM's and Scouts were thinking? Not like he played in Timbuk 2 or something.

Shea Weber was picked 49th. Keith 54th. And both where full time NHLers 3 years after being drafted.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I personally was really disappointed with this years Behind the Draft, I was watching the preview the Buffalo writer for Hockeybuzz had and it was saying that Buffalo and Toronto almost had a trade for there 2 picks. There was really nothing behind the scenes(trade wise) this year, except a possible trade with NYI.

I finally just watched this. Did you see Burke say "the phone's isn't ringin" right before he got up to select Reilly? Like he was waiting for something in particular to come in. Maybe it was his offer to Buffalo to swap, and their guy wasn't there at 5 or maybe another enirely different deal we hadn't heard about but he definitely seemed to be waiting for something to drop.

I think we would have had a much better report if BB isn't fired. They probably removed a ton of tape footage to keep his involvement minimal in the commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->