Prospect Info: Behind The Draft - tonight

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
So Burke said that Rielly was his first pick. He's so full of *****.

mattyfratty

Feb 2, 2013
calm down

guys, calm down. we're talking leafs tv here. they only show positive stuff about the team. obvi they cut burke all out of it. henny says the full show will air in june? there, we'll get the hour long war room show then. not bad though, didnt know reilly and koekkoek were friends.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Just gave it a watch. It seemed alright for what it was but you can tell they edited out a lot of stuff and really cut it down. I love "We had him ranked 1st overall." to Bettman and then "It is funny how things work out sometimes. I just have this voice saying something seems off.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
So Burke said that Rielly was his first pick. He's so full of *****.

I don't think he was full of **** tbh. Dave Morrison said "Well... we got our guy... We know we're gonna get the player we want now, and that's nothing against the other picks, but the guy that we coveted is there for us". If anything, this probably shows he wasn't full of ****. You can certainly disagree with his comment, but I don't think he was lying.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Yeah the show was a big disapointment, there wasn't any pre draft board room meetings to discuss players they could take. Only trade talk was when the Islanders offered the Leafs to move up 1 spot to 4th. Burke asked his scouts they said no, Burke went back and said no. Burke even said "well phones not ringing...well let's pick" before picking. And for the 2nd round somebody called him and he said "no were picking" other than that, waste of time to watch almost

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Snow as high on Reinhart over others is confounding? I had him in the 10 area, He's a good reliable defender, but he certainly plays small for his size. Snow could have dropped back further if he wanted him. Reminds me of the Bailey pick, but in that situation he netted 2 picks to do this. Leave it to the Isles to be so inept. In the end I think Morrison was willing to take Dumba, Rielly, or Gally at #5 had it played out that way,Mo seemed to think the Habs were entertaining the thought of picking Rielly. Maybe this is where Burke meant he would consider to address a need over a D man he rated similarly. All we know is Rielly was the man we wanted all along, so all is well if you are a Leafs fan. Well played by Mo and Burke for listening to him 2 straight years. Burke wanted Percy and Mo read that one correctly also.

I thought he also mentioned thinking the Habs might take Dumba...but I think you're on the money, they saw little separation in the top 5. If Isles were looking for a big defender, they should have gone with Trouba, who is similarly sized but actually known for his physicality. Snow could have even played their favourite game of trade-down and come out looking like a genius. Easy for me to say so in hindsight, in truth I was extremely worried that Burke was gonna make a "reach" type pick for Trouba at 5, or drop down a few slots to take him...I say I was worried because Trouba had been compared to a better skating Luke Schenn at the time...and he was basically the most stereotypical 'Brian Burke' type pick in our range.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
When Koekoek and Rielly are talking Slater says: "I didnt think you were going" and Morgan replies "Niether did I"

You cant really hear what Slater ended with but I wonder if he maent he didnt think Rielly was going to get picked that high. Kinda cool to hear two good friends talk, you can tell both are just so elated

And lol at the Leafs brass when Nonis reads out Lupul's tweet.

Or they might think Toronto was drafting a centre.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I knew very little of Reilly and Finn but it's good to see the both seem like they have very good heads on their shoulders.

Question I had after watching was if the Leafs really had Reilly ranked #1 why would they have not moved up to ensure they got him? Sounded to me like they were happy with whoever was going to fall to them.

If they are as smart as some claim, they knew who was going to be available, and know they are being recorded. Self promotion.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Also did anyone catch exactly what Rielly said, I think while MTL was drafting, he says something along the lines of "I'll cry if the draft me"...not sure if it was in reference to the Habs, us or the Isles...and if it was cry in a good way or bad way? Was he a Habs or Isles fan? I think he said it while Galchenyuk was being picked so maybe he was not thrilled about the possibility of going to the Islanders at 4?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Also did anyone catch exactly what Rielly said, I think while MTL was drafting, he says something along the lines of "I'll cry if the draft me"...not sure if it was in reference to the Habs, us or the Isles...and if it was cry in a good way or bad way? Was he a Habs or Isles fan? I think he said it while Galchenyuk was being picked so maybe he was not thrilled about the possibility of going to the Islanders at 4?

He said, "He told me he might cry" about Galchenyuk. Not sure what it was in reference to, just getting drafted or being drafted by the Canadiens, and whatever it was, it sounded like a good thing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I thought it was something like "he said he might cry" in talking about Galchenyuk.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wow, so Burke really did have Reilly ranked 1st overall

He said that when he drafted him at 5.

In listening it sounded like they knew who would be gone by the time they were drafting, they only sounded worried about the Islanders. Doesn't sound like a team worried about drafting the first overall.

Bettman's comment came across to me as, "Yes sure you did."

They are not being recorded without their knowledge, so let's not believe there isn't some massaging of the truth here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->