Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I don't know what goofs you play with, but people getting their noses broken isn't a common occurrence at any of the rinks I frequent.

I recommend some people take up tiddlywinks as their sport of choice.

Hockey and injuries go hand in hand, even inadvertently; regardless of level.

We're any of those injuries caused intentionally by an opponent?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I recommend some people take up tiddlywinks as their sport of choice.

Hockey and injuries go hand in hand, even inadvertently; regardless of level.

We're any of those injuries caused intentionally by an opponent?

All I said was "this happened". I've had teeth knocked out and broken numerous times and never blamed anybody, I kept on with the puck and did my thing. This guy was trying to stifle blood while attempting to move the puck to a teammate, then didn't even want to leave the bench to get cleaned up until the refs made him. You're not the only one out there so manly you can get hurt and keep going; there's no need to act like people are lesser than you because they said "my teammate got hit once from a stupid play that was unnecessary" and nothing beyond that. Another teammate once had half his teeth knocked out from a slapper and didn't ever cry foul. I think he has more fake teeth than real ones nowadays. That was an obvious accident; the "puck clearing incident" was much less so.

Since this is obviously a great discussion, yes some (not me) believe the nose-breaker did it on purpose. He definitely aimed near the guy's head though I doubt he expected to hit him. Either way, it was stupid. I'm sure you're too big of an opposing player to have done so as well, but the guy didn't even apologize or feign interest in expressing that it was an accident. Dude was nearly laughing at him dripping blood all over the ice. That's ridiculous.

You sound like you'd pull a Trevor Gillies and mock the guy while he's half-maimed from your attack. Me, I'd be one to break someone's arm but bring them to the hospital. I once apologized for beating the crap out of someone who jumped me from behind after I threw him off the puck and told him to **** off. This ******* just about laughs in our guy's face, purposefully hurting him or not that is not right. And FWIW I'd **** some people up in Tiddlywinks if it came to it too :p Except you because you're clearly the king.

And FWIW this was B level in our area, plenty of skill to not have something like that happen. Many are/were college, NAHL, and AA players; I'm not saying they're turning pro but they're definitely not lacking talent or brains to not shoot pucks at faces from 15 feet away.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
All I said was "this happened". I've had teeth knocked out and broken numerous times and never blamed anybody, I kept on with the puck and did my thing. This guy was trying to stifle blood while attempting to move the puck to a teammate, then didn't even want to leave the bench to get cleaned up until the refs made him. You're not the only one out there so manly you can get hurt and keep going; there's no need to act like people are lesser than you because they said "my teammate got hit once from a stupid play that was unnecessary" and nothing beyond that. Another teammate once had half his teeth knocked out from a slapper and didn't ever cry foul. I think he has more fake teeth than real ones nowadays. That was an obvious accident; the "puck clearing incident" was much less so.

Since this is obviously a great discussion, yes some (not me) believe the nose-breaker did it on purpose. He definitely aimed near the guy's head though I doubt he expected to hit him. Either way, it was stupid. I'm sure you're too big of an opposing player to have done so as well, but the guy didn't even apologize or feign interest in expressing that it was an accident. Dude was nearly laughing at him dripping blood all over the ice. That's ridiculous.

You sound like you'd pull a Trevor Gillies and mock the guy while he's half-maimed from your attack. Me, I'd be one to break someone's arm but bring them to the hospital. I once apologized for beating the crap out of someone who jumped me from behind after I threw him off the puck and told him to **** off. This ******* just about laughs in our guy's face, purposefully hurting him or not that is not right. And FWIW I'd **** some people up in Tiddlywinks if it came to it too :p Except you because you're clearly the king.

And FWIW this was B level in our area, plenty of skill to not have something like that happen. Many are/were college, NAHL, and AA players; I'm not saying they're turning pro but they're definitely not lacking talent or brains to not shoot pucks at faces from 15 feet away.

I don't take too many penalties, certainly get tripped and fouled more than I do to anyone; and yeah there are always some r.soles going about, but that's part and parcel of participating. It's not about being tough or playing hurt. If I get injured as a result of foul play by someone though, that's my lookout. You accept the risk every time you step out on the ice, knowing some guys are less than competent with their stick, some might just be dirty and also that most referees miss plenty..and yeah if you get some broken China it's probably gonna be worth two minutes to the person that did it. If some guy gets me, well I knew there was a risk of it. Not gonna be complaining about it.

I do see and hear some guys, both on the ice and in here that I wonder why they play if they are that averse to a little rough and tumble or getting knocked about a bit. You either take the risk or you don't.

I play pick up with better players than me who've played junior and college and the like. They're generally pretty skilled and some of them don't wear visors. It's pretty common that there are a few nicks and cuts and people cop a few pucks. I've heard a bit of cussing when someone gets hurt, but it's never directed at anyone. We all know **** happens. It does.

Last edited by a moderator:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Guys; someone got tripped, someone else got hit by a puck being cleared?

Did you both get lost on your way to tennis or miniature golf? Please.

How's the view from that high horse?

I can live with an injury sustained as the result of an accidental play. I'm slightly more annoyed with an injury sustained as the result of a reckless play in the dying seconds of a game, made by someone who takes his beer league a little too seriously. It was completely unnecessary and he didn't come close to playing the puck. Now I'm sidelined from hockey, the gym, and playing guitar for a few weeks, and stuck with a bill for x-rays to boot.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
How's the view from that high horse?

I can live with an injury sustained as the result of an accidental play. I'm slightly more annoyed with an injury sustained as the result of a reckless play in the dying seconds of a game, made by someone who takes his beer league a little too seriously. It was completely unnecessary and he didn't come close to playing the puck. Now I'm sidelined from hockey, the gym, and playing guitar for a few weeks, and stuck with a bill for x-rays to boot.

But you do know that you're always going to be playing against some guys that are careless and lacking skill and others who are just idiots right? The exact same thing or worse could happen next time you hit the ice.

Did you get his license plate number for next time? Live by the sword...die by reciprocity.

When someone blatantly trips me, I know I've had the better of them; and it's pretty much an acknowledgement of that by them..a tacit compliment. It is a bummer getting hurt or injured any time, but there's not too much to do or worry about that. 'It' happens.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Being frustrated about the frustrations thread - delicious.

Remember that this is the *point* of the thread - discussing frustrations. Please stop telling other posters to just deal with it (or worse yet, that they should play a different sport).

Thank you.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I'm frustrated with my line mates inability to get a good breakout going. They can never seem to handle a pass smoothly and when they do they handle it for a few seconds, slowly turn around and pass it to my skates or the other team.

It doesn't help that the defenders don't beleive in passing to the center unless they are out of the defensive zone.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Being frustrated about the frustrations thread - delicious.

Remember that this is the *point* of the thread - discussing frustrations. Please stop telling other posters to just deal with it (or worse yet, that they should play a different sport).

Thank you.

Injuries are frustrating sure; and you'll get universal agreement on that, but they are also inevitable and I just can't see the difference between it being self inflicted/accidental or by someone else sailing too close to the wind or deliberately committing infractions. It's a very risky sport, non-checking or otherwise; and there's generally lot of latitude for people who play outside of the rules compared to other sports.

I'd be more upset at losing or catching an edge and falling badly than getting caught by someone.

It frustrates me a little that some guys, forget this thread, sorry dudes, but on the ice, either on your own or some other team are seemingly averse to being breathed on.

There's a guy I play with who's one of those people that knows all the answers and has advice for everyone else, always; and he's just such a soft *****. I got no problem with him, but in another league when I was playing against him. I skated towards him when he had the puck, stopped and he ran into me and got knocked on his ass. I was stationary, no call and he wasn't hurt one bit; fell because of his weak skating and head down. You should have heard him at the time..and he's never gotten over it for some reason. I'm not sure why he plays. I'd call him a big girl, but all girls are tougher.

I'll pass him the puck without a second thought if he's the best option, because I'm a team player; but know he'll go out of his way to pass elsewhere.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Played a game and our goalie didn't show up tonight. Sucks we lost 10-2. Then we only had 11 people show up. One guy on our team got kicked out after trying to start a fight when he thought a guy on the other said something to him or kinda bumped into after he kinda celebrated after he scored a goal. They where yelling at each other for a minute then he skated over to the bench while play was going on and escalated some more. Just frustrating. It's just a house league, but for some reason the guy that runs it says he can't keep more then 2-3 people together. So me and one of my friends who just signed up this season got put on a different team from my other two friends that are in the same league. Where 3 games in 0-3. First game was pretty close but we had a sub goalie. I had to miss last week but the guy that was suppose to be our goalie showed up. This week, they told me the goalie said he was going to be there but he no showed. Just a bad deal all around though. We also had a guy walk out on our team around the time the dude got kicked out. Anyway glad I'm playing on two teams now so I can look at this as just practice. After this season I'm just going to play pick up and stick with the good team. Quit the house league team. The good team just pulls most the players from the guys we play pick up with and my step brother, and his friends play pickup with them guys to sometimes so it will be cool. I just got to play this season out though in the house league I guess. Hope our goalie shows up next week our at least gives us some notice so I could try to see if one of our pickup goalies want to play or somebody else get a sub. Just frustrating.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
For you guys that join a league that assigns teams, how big are those normally? I find it really bizarre that In the two leagues I've played in since I moved to Wisconsin that the teams are typically 10 skaters apiece. It irks me when there is barely enough players to have two complete forward lines, and playing with three d gets old fast too.

jlt73

Jan 21, 2016
Noblesville, Indiana
For you guys that join a league that assigns teams, how big are those normally? I find it really bizarre that In the two leagues I've played in since I moved to Wisconsin that the teams are typically 10 skaters apiece. It irks me when there is barely enough players to have two complete forward lines, and playing with three d gets old fast too.

Our teams are 14 deep. Although this summer league we are having a hard time getting 10 skaters to a game.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

We're usually 15 skaters plus one goalie.

I'll caveat that summers are usually weird - I remember one game where I went to the bench on a delayed penalty, and there was no one there so I skated back to my net.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
But you do know that you're always going to be playing against some guys that are careless and lacking skill and others who are just idiots right? The exact same thing or worse could happen next time you hit the ice.

Did you get his license plate number for next time? Live by the sword...die by reciprocity.

When someone blatantly trips me, I know I've had the better of them; and it's pretty much an acknowledgement of that by them..a tacit compliment. It is a bummer getting hurt or injured any time, but there's not too much to do or worry about that. 'It' happens.

I accept the risk, but I'd rather an injury come as the result of either my own mistake, or a careless play. I can live with the accidental high stick and don't really mind the extracurriculars that sometimes go on as a defenseman.

But there is a clear delineation in my mind, and with no hope of playing the puck, this was a high-risk low-reward kind of play that sent me crashing into a net and a goalie at top speed.

Call it a difference in priorities, but preventing a single goal in beer league isn't important enough to me to make that kind of dangerous play on another player.

Hockey is a small part of my life, and I don't think it's unreasonable to be frustrated by a completely avoidable injury that is now affecting my work and other hobbies. I'm not holding a grudge, or looking to get even when I'm healthy; just posting on an internet message board about my frustrations as a recreational player.

Michigan summers are too short to be spending in a sling. :nod:

Boot

Oct 20, 2010

Huh. We make our own teams in my league, and we usually try to stick close to 10-12 skaters. The one or two teams that have around 15 tend to hate it because they get so little ice time. Granted, we've got a lot of people willing to sub (which is free for us) in the occasion that people aren't able to make it that week, so that offsets the risk. It's pretty rare we end up skating with less than 9.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Huh. We make our own teams in my league, and we usually try to stick close to 10-12 skaters. The one or two teams that have around 15 tend to hate it because they get so little ice time. Granted, we've got a lot of people willing to sub (which is free for us) in the occasion that people aren't able to make it that week, so that offsets the risk. It's pretty rare we end up skating with less than 9.

That's the way I prefer it as well. Two lines is perfect.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah my preference is 9-13 skaters. Three forward lines can work okay if everyone is disciplined about shift length and skill levels are similar.

Had to play goal for my summer team today, first time I had a busy game in about 2 months. Realized how much of a bunch of individuals we really are though watching breakout 'attempts' and the general lack of any sort of system in the defensive end.
Of course we mostly lost though because the other team was short people and picked up the two ringers from the game before us... who combined for over half their goals.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I'm frustrated with my line mates inability to get a good breakout going. They can never seem to handle a pass smoothly and when they do they handle it for a few seconds, slowly turn around and pass it to my skates or the other team.

It doesn't help that the defenders don't beleive in passing to the center unless they are out of the defensive zone.

I have the opposite problem: my center is usually out of the defensive zone all the time, often behind the red line, cherry picking for a breakaway. But, so goes beer league. :):yo:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
A-holes who feel the need to cross-check behind the play in pickup games. He was trying to play tough to keep people from running around him but WTF dude, what kind of a-hole are you in everyday life that you need to do that in a friendly game?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
A-holes who feel the need to cross-check behind the play in pickup games. He was trying to play tough to keep people from running around him but WTF dude, what kind of a-hole are you in everyday life that you need to do that in a friendly game?

Yeah just your typical "I'm the beer league/rec league alpha male" that plays physical or even by accident and doesn't at least acknowledge that he's being too physical for a fun game. Just your average hardass.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I hate the hardass's. There's nothing wrong with trying hard but resorting to cheap tactics cause you suck is the worst in men's league. Let's not forget the beer factor as well.

Worst of all is the hard ass is usually one of the better players....just ******** I guess

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

There are a few different possibilities for that type of behaviour, the guy can play and is taking things far too seriously, the guy can't play and is trying to paper over his deficiencies or the guy really just doesn't know or the lack of skill translates into careless or recklessness.

We've had some guys turn up to pick up very occasionally who really just didn't know; they just saw the skill level of some of the other guys and thought it was the real deal. They chill a little bit when it's pointed out to them.

Then there are some guys who are just confrontational, aggressive or agitative by nature. They'll be like they are off ice as well as on. They want to carry on afterwards as well. What I tend to notice, is that they generally tend to pick their targets carefully though.

That said, some minor shots are often justified or asked for; as long as no one tries to level anyone or there's no intent to hurt anyone. I don't mind being on the receiving end..or giving..long as it stays fun. Pick ups generally self policing if you have the same core of guys turning up.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
There are a few different possibilities for that type of behaviour, the guy can play and is taking things far too seriously, the guy can't play and is trying to paper over his deficiencies or the guy really just doesn't know or the lack of skill translates into careless or recklessness.

We've had some guys turn up to pick up very occasionally who really just didn't know; they just saw the skill level of some of the other guys and thought it was the real deal. They chill a little bit when it's pointed out to them.

Then there are some guys who are just confrontational, aggressive or agitative by nature. They'll be like they are off ice as well as on. They want to carry on afterwards as well. What I tend to notice, is that they generally tend to pick their targets carefully though.

That said, some minor shots are often justified or asked for; as long as no one tries to level anyone or there's no intent to hurt anyone. I don't mind being on the receiving end..or giving..long as it stays fun. Pick ups generally self policing if you have the same core of guys turning up.

Or we're all friends and want to rough each other up to laugh over it at beers :D

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
What frustrates me is that there is always that "one guy" that takes the game way too seriously - as if it's some NHL playoff game or something. You know, the type that likes to take liberties with his stick, talks smack and acts like an overall assclown....

That frustrates me... Look, I play to drink beer and have a good time - not deal with some hostile 29 year old fool who plays like there are scouts in the stands lol...

Don't get me wrong I'm fine with hits and all that and a little chop here or a chop there in all good fun, but that is part of the game and the chops aren't even "chops" they're just "love taps" and the hits are hardly hard.... But yea, there are guys out there that will take it way too far sometimes..

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
IMO, I like playing with/against guys 35-60 (I'm 36) they have fun, where the younger guys want to compete more... Sure the skill level is a bit lower (well they're a bit slower) with the older guys but they sure in the hell are a lot more fun and a lot more respectful....

A lot of the younger guys, guys in their 20's and early 30's are almost trying to show off or whatever (not all of them but more than enough to get you aggravated)...

I just want to drink beer and have fun. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad