Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
scorekeeping a game yesterday. guy gets called in the final 2 minutes for retaliating (according to him) and on his way to the box chucks his stick into the penalty box like a spear. really? do I come to your office and throw things???

Reactions: Primary Assist

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
When low/mid tier guys in their late 20s/30s play physical and throw the body when someone dangles them or beats them in a puck battle... in a NON-CONTACT league. Then the league does nothing about it because the refs won't do anything about it. And to my point below...

When the refs call slashing from a soft couple taps to the gloves or a weak hooking call (okay, rules are rules), but don't call a freaking body check or cross check to the head area. Drives me fricken insane.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
When low/mid tier guys in their late 20s/30s play physical and throw the body when someone dangles them or beats them in a puck battle... in a NON-CONTACT league. Then the league does nothing about it because the refs won't do anything about it. And to my point below...

When the refs call slashing from a soft couple taps to the gloves or a weak hooking call (okay, rules are rules), but don't call a freaking body check or cross check to the head area. Drives me fricken insane.
You need to find a league with better refs.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Hit the buzzer, call the gross. You are an official. :)

I gave him a warning. basically told him not to do that because if he does it and hits a scorekeeper (I am Head of Scorekeepers for our league) I'd make sure he never played in our league again. the ref saw it anyway and tossed him immediately. our refs are really good about protecting the scorekeepers.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah, it pisses me off when I see guys at pickup testing out their slapshots or Datsyuk deke attempts during warmups on the poor goalie. You really should just be aiming square for their pads so they get a feel for things. You're not doing anyone any favors by picking corners and making the goalie gunshy before the game's even started.

Holy necro-quote, but I found the goalie warmup discussion on page 11 interesting- my old team had a habit of going for numerous breakaway dekes in warmups, pretty sure our goalie didn’t give enough craps to complain, but- 1) what a horrible warmup for the skater, a preplanned breakaway with no D. 2) You shouldn’t be trying to score. 3) sometimes it’d be a string of like 3 dekes in a row, and the tired goalie would just.. not move. Just a terrible warmup all-around.

That said, I guess I never realized how key warming up the goalie was. I definitely didn’t take clappers, didn’t start out trying to score, but I think I would usually toss some easy ones before moving onto more realistic “here’s a low blocker side shot you gotta move for a bit” attempts. Better to let the goalie get a lot of saves and feel confident, good to know. 75% of my teams warmup shots were dekes, missed shots, or bar down lasers, no wonder our goalie hated us.

Reactions: DaveG

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Not quite beer league but I find it so weird that here in San Diego the shinny's require full equipment. In Montreal you could do shinny with just skates, helmet, gloves, but now over here you gotta have a full set. Sorry roommates you're about to get some smelly gear around

Also if anyone knows a good place to get cheap equipment in the San Diego let me know. Don't really feel like bringing my stuff from home back and forth

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I am playing center and coming back to cover the other center in front of our net. There is a rebound I beat the player to it and use my body to protect the puck. I take a few strides and pass the puck out of the zone to the winger. Once the puck is about center ice, the player I beat for the puck two hands me in the nuts. This is a player that you must protect yourself from regardless of what the ref calls. I turn around and plant him with a good old fashion check to the chest. He goes flying 5 to 8 feet in the air and lands on his back. He screams out what the eff ****, and I said I bet you won't spear me in the nuts again will you? Get up if you got the nuts to do it. He stayed on the ice and starts crying to the ref. The ref didn't even see it because the player was in the other zone. The ref asked me if I did it and I said absolutely because you get one pair of nuts and if a player is going to hit them from behind as hard as he can there is a price to pay. Ref asked if I could go to the box and I said no problem. I explained to him that I can't expect you to protect players from idiots who don't understand hockey and I can protect my self. I told the guy in the line up good game and he called me a p****. I just laughed.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I am playing center and coming back to cover the other center in front of our net. There is a rebound I beat the player to it and use my body to protect the puck. I take a few strides and pass the puck out of the zone to the winger. Once the puck is about center ice, the player I beat for the puck two hands me in the nuts.

as a female I seriously don't get why guys in beer league spear opponents in the nuts. I mean, I guess it comes down to respect (or lack of) for your opponent but I would think that that area would be off limits.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm a solid C+/B- player and got a new stick. It's my championship game in a league I play in Thursday so I went to a D+/C- hour just to try the new stick since I always used Eastons and apparently they don't make sticks anymore.

I felt like a bum playing above my level but took one shot all game which was a slapshot from the blue line with nobody in front of the net. Meanwhile there's another guy about my level who's dancing in and out of everybody trying to show everybody up. He was on my team and I really wanted to two hand chop him myself... I don't care if you're going to play a bit above your level for whatever reason but I hate people who have to try to make everyone else look bad. The guy probably passed the puck like 3x the whole game and it was only when he had no other option as a defender was right on him.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I'm a solid C+/B- player and got a new stick. It's my championship game in a league I play in Thursday so I went to a D+/C- hour just to try the new stick since I always used Eastons and apparently they don't make sticks anymore.

I felt like a bum playing above my level but took one shot all game which was a slapshot from the blue line with nobody in front of the net. Meanwhile there's another guy about my level who's dancing in and out of everybody trying to show everybody up. He was on my team and I really wanted to two hand chop him myself... I don't care if you're going to play a bit above your level for whatever reason but I hate people who have to try to make everyone else look bad. The guy probably passed the puck like 3x the whole game and it was only when he had no other option as a defender was right on him.

Next time ... try that two handed chop.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Speaking as a low level player - absolutely! Hey I get it sometimes teams need extra players and you bring in a higher skilled player into a low-skill game. Don't worry - I can already tell you're a good player within a few minutes of taking the ice. There's no need to show people up in what's supposed to be a fun game. Make it your mission to make those you're playing with better, rather than to show off.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We are winning and dominating a team 5-0. A guy on the other team constantly has tried to throw multiple knee on knee hits and missed. The guys on my team start chirping him nice laces and moves out there. WE score to make it 6-0. and run clock. They line up for a face off 5 on 5 and the puck is dropped, and this guy leaves there bench and skates to our bench. Ask a player on my team do you have a problem and he said yes. Your attempts to make knee on knee contact is crap and your laces orange laces are hideous. He throws a punch at the guy being the 6th guy on the ice. The ref only gives him two minutes unsportsmanlike conduct because he " didn't " see the punch because he was watching the face off.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Not quite beer league but I find it so weird that here in San Diego the shinny's require full equipment. In Montreal you could do shinny with just skates, helmet, gloves, but now over here you gotta have a full set. Sorry roommates you're about to get some smelly gear around

Also if anyone knows a good place to get cheap equipment in the San Diego let me know. Don't really feel like bringing my stuff from home back and forth

Larry Robinson's Play it Again Sports is one of the best bets in SoCal. I still use a pair of Trevor Lewis pro return gloves that I picked up 7 years ago.

And I think they require full equipment since insurance is much higher in the states and the range of skill-levels varies so widely compared to up north.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We are winning and dominating a team 5-0. A guy on the other team constantly has tried to throw multiple knee on knee hits and missed. The guys on my team start chirping him nice laces and moves out there. WE score to make it 6-0. and run clock. They line up for a face off 5 on 5 and the puck is dropped, and this guy leaves there bench and skates to our bench. Ask a player on my team do you have a problem and he said yes. Your attempts to make knee on knee contact is crap and your laces orange laces are hideous. He throws a punch at the guy being the 6th guy on the ice. The ref only gives him two minutes unsportsmanlike conduct because he " didn't " see the punch because he was watching the face off.
If there is one thing that sucks about beer league, it is the inability of beer league refs to be able to handle those kinds of situations.

They shouldn't have to, but it being beer league those kinds of incidents are inevitable.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If there is one thing that sucks about beer league, it is the inability of beer league refs to be able to handle those kinds of situations.

They shouldn't have to, but it being beer league those kinds of incidents are inevitable.
I would think it would be a double minor at the least for too many men on the ice and unsportsmanlike conduct. The ref gave our guy a 2 and a 10 for charging when he had the puck on a break away and got tripped from behind into the goalie. He said our guy he intentionally ran the goalie to hurt him and tossed him. In all of my years hockey I have never seen a guy get a charging with intent to injure when carrying the puck as an offense-man on a breakaway that get tripped from behind and makes accidental goalie contact.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad