Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
$500 fine in our league if another team doesn't show. $200 fine if the other team doesn't have a goalie.

Wow, that seems like overkill, especially for the goalie bit. Team is one thing since that's a coordinated effort, but $20/person because some guy flaked out that you have no control over? That's rough.

Last edited:

drivesrf

Nov 21, 2011
I just joined a new league. This league has the following divisions:A,B,C1, C2, and novice. I joined the novice league and let me tell you, there was nothing novice about it. These people could play! One of the fastest games I played!Are there any true novice leagues out there?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I just joined a new league. This league has the following divisions:A,B,C1, C2, and novice. I joined the novice league and let me tell you, there was nothing novice about it. These people could play! One of the fastest games I played!Are there any true novice leagues out there?

The league I started with in Calgary had a great beginners intake program and about as close as a thing to a beginners division you can get.

deadman1515

Mar 5, 2016
Haven't posted on here in awhile, but I needed to vent a little. Why is it that parents think it's acceptable to just drop their 8/9/10 year old son off at a stick and puck and just leave? This has been an on going problem at the rink where I play at for a while now. You pull up for a stick and puck and see a convoy of minivans parked in front with their hatches open, unloading bags, sticks, and kids. Walk into the locker room and there is a dozen pre-teen kids in there. Bags, sticks, helmets, etc scattered everywhere. Kids running around screaming/shooting practice pucks/shoving each other... it's like a ******* daycare in there. When you finally make it out onto the ice, it's a free for all. There's no order to anything. Kids are throwing their sticks around, fighting with each other,playing inside the nets, it's completely ridiculous. What's worse, i out look into the bleachers and there is on average one or two people up there. That tells me that these kids are here completely unsupervised. The other day it came to a head. All of the pucks from my end were in the net. I look around, don't see anything pucks so I skate In and start retrieving the pucks out of the goal and CLANK, some little brat skates in from the other end and rips one off the cross bar not six inches from my face.:rant: I was absolutely livid.

I had to chase a kid down the other day when I kept noticing him trying to shoot a puck with a stick that was twice his size, only to realize that it was MY stick that I brought as a back up and left in the locker room. After giving him a stern talking to about not taking something that wasn't his and getting a lot of eye rolling as a response, I decided to head to the administration office to have a chat with them. After explaining what happened along with a hand full of other issues with these kids being out there unattended, I got an apology and a refund. I was told that in the future I might want to start coming in for the earlier stick and puck that there's usually not as many kids. Okay, problem is, I work. I can't come in at noon to play hockey during the week. Forget about the weekend, the place is like chuck e cheese on ice. I know I'm not the only one who's complained about this. Ive spoken with a couple other adults and even some of the college kids who come up to practice and they have all voiced their concerns to the office. I tried suggesting a late night 16+/18+ only stick and puck and was told there wouldn't be enough people to warrant it. I even inquired why they weren't concerned about one of these kids getting hurt and not having a parenton site to notify. I was told that was their problem and not mine. I mean come on, you know good and we'll that if little Billy got hurt and had to go to the hospital, it wouldn't matter that his mom dropped him off and left. she'd sue that place in a heart beat. She'd probably try to claim it was the rinks responsibility to watch her kid.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.

That's brutal. The rink closest to me rarely has more than 8 people at SnP and yesterday my buddy and I had the ice all to ourselves for the whole 90 minutes, 4pm-530pm so I can see why not a lot of folks are there.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

All depends where you live, and how "serious" the league is. My league takes parity pretty seriously, and has like 10 divisions, so the novice division tends to be actual novices. The only real exception is that since the novice division starts off the season as beginner school, you sometimes get some guys who totally dog it through beginner school and then magically become Gretzky once league play starts. Not much you can really do about it since it's like 2 months into the season by that point (checks have been cashed, etc.), but these kind of guys get re-assessed at the end of the season and usually have to move at least two divisions up, where they inevitably end up being non-factors the following season :handclap:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Today's gripe is my team blew our opening playoff game. I don't mind losing, but to nearly give the game to the other team is unforgivable. Our #1 turnover machine, who should be one of our best defensemen, caused the usual turnover goal to start things off. Then he got ejected for throwing his stick into the penalty box. We were getting rooked w/calls and the other team was getting away with way too much, but the game was nowhere near out of hand either in score or action. After that every time we had the puck it was just thrown away or lost because we played scared. I played a rare game on defense and was great moving the puck to everyone to get something good, but all the good chances were blown. Poor goalie was left out to dry 3 out of 4 goals (2 giveaways as last man back - genius).

Seems most are like that. I do know of one near me that is well-regulated. It's like watching giant children out there.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I just got back in the game after a decade off and joined a lower division team to get back into it. I never wore a visor before or had to since the previous longtime league was all made of older guys who had known each other and been friends for years. At the first game last week I noticed everyone has cages, so I got myself a visor. Lo and behold I immediately get to try it out with a stick to the face and mouth last night. Thank god I had a mouthpiece in too. If even all the adults have cages now, how does anyone learn to control their stick?

:thumbd:

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
I just got back in the game after a decade off and joined a lower division team to get back into it. I never wore a visor before or had to since the previous longtime league was all made of older guys who had known each other and been friends for years. At the first game last week I noticed everyone has cages, so I got myself a visor. Lo and behold I immediately get to try it out with a stick to the face and mouth last night. Thank god I had a mouthpiece in too. If even all the adults have cages now, how does anyone learn to control their stick?

***** happens. Pro's get whacked in the mouth all the time by errant sticks, and they sure know how to control their stick better than beer leaguers. Basically you have to either wear a cage, or accept that you'll probably take one in the chops every now and then.

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
Haven't posted on here in awhile, but I needed to vent a little. Why is it that parents think it's acceptable to just drop their 8/9/10 year old son off at a stick and puck and just leave? This has been an on going problem at the rink where I play at for a while now. You pull up for a stick and puck and see a convoy of minivans parked in front with their hatches open, unloading bags, sticks, and kids. Walk into the locker room and there is a dozen pre-teen kids in there. Bags, sticks, helmets, etc scattered everywhere. Kids running around screaming/shooting practice pucks/shoving each other... it's like a ******* daycare in there. When you finally make it out onto the ice, it's a free for all. There's no order to anything. Kids are throwing their sticks around, fighting with each other,playing inside the nets, it's completely ridiculous. What's worse, i out look into the bleachers and there is on average one or two people up there. That tells me that these kids are here completely unsupervised. The other day it came to a head. All of the pucks from my end were in the net. I look around, don't see anything pucks so I skate In and start retrieving the pucks out of the goal and CLANK, some little brat skates in from the other end and rips one off the cross bar not six inches from my face.:rant: I was absolutely livid.

I had to chase a kid down the other day when I kept noticing him trying to shoot a puck with a stick that was twice his size, only to realize that it was MY stick that I brought as a back up and left in the locker room. After giving him a stern talking to about not taking something that wasn't his and getting a lot of eye rolling as a response, I decided to head to the administration office to have a chat with them. After explaining what happened along with a hand full of other issues with these kids being out there unattended, I got an apology and a refund. I was told that in the future I might want to start coming in for the earlier stick and puck that there's usually not as many kids. Okay, problem is, I work. I can't come in at noon to play hockey during the week. Forget about the weekend, the place is like chuck e cheese on ice. I know I'm not the only one who's complained about this. Ive spoken with a couple other adults and even some of the college kids who come up to practice and they have all voiced their concerns to the office. I tried suggesting a late night 16+/18+ only stick and puck and was told there wouldn't be enough people to warrant it. I even inquired why they weren't concerned about one of these kids getting hurt and not having a parenton site to notify. I was told that was their problem and not mine. I mean come on, you know good and we'll that if little Billy got hurt and had to go to the hospital, it wouldn't matter that his mom dropped him off and left. she'd sue that place in a heart beat. She'd probably try to claim it was the rinks responsibility to watch her kid.

One of my local rinks is like this, but not quite so bad. Every stick and puck has like 20 people, at least half of them young kids, AND someone taking up half the ice for private lessons. It's just not worth it at all. I wish they would just restrict it to like 6 people. I'd rather just be told the session is full then show up and have 2 square feet of ice to use while dodging children.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
WE are tied 2-2 on a penalty kill. A guy is in our crease screening the goalie. The ref warns him. He is still in net interfering with the goalie trying to move to cover the point shot. The ref doesn't blow the whistle and and will not call a crease violation. The player is still in the crease when the puck is behind the net interfering with our goalie trying to turn towards the puck. I skate into and bump into the guy with my hip, but wasn't a full hip check. The guy can't skate. Acts like he is dying screaming in pain. The ref calls me for checking. The guy then jumps up miraculously fine, and pushes me calling me a *****. I give him a shove and tell him to stop crying you know if you are in the creasing touching the goalie you are going to get touched. You need to try acting. I then asked the ref since I was a captain why didn't you call the crease violation, and why did you warn him then not call it the second time? If you did your job and not allowed him to be in the crease touching the goalie; there wouldn't be a penalty. He said he relax it is beer league, just got to the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
someone taking up half the ice for private lessons.

My other biggest gripe about the rink where I play. I don't understand why they have special slots of time for "lessons only" but then allow half the ice for a single kid and his coach to do various cone drills on the regular days too. Then still allow 19 other people to sign up and not say a word about it only being half ice due to a lesson.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
If even all the adults have cages now, how does anyone learn to control their stick?

OH...I could write a book about how many out there, on a regular basis, think they're pitching hay!!! That and the inability to stop ...hey thats what my football shoulder pads are for...learn to skate for bleeps sake.

s...

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I experienced the "errant stick" crap more tonight than I think I ever have in a game. I mean come on... I get that it's not necessarily "on purpose" most times, but you are still responsible for what your stick does when you're on the ice. If you don't know how to skate, and you skate right at me, start wobbling like a baby giraffe, and then slam into the boards as I move aside, I shouldn't have to worry about getting slashed across the neck as you flop down through the air. I mean it's just common decency.

I also took a puck off the bicep tonight. Not much to be done about it; I was in the shooting lane on purpose. Thing is, for the puck to hit me as high as it did based on the angle with the shooter, it was gonna go about 15 feet over the net, so I'm not quite sure what his motivation was there. I'll just go with "accidental" again...

On the "plus" side, my team took zero penalties tonight, because the refs effectively swallowed their whistles when they noticed the other team had an absolute ringer being like quadruple shifted. There were a few times where I'd swear we were 5 feet offsides and there was no call.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

Honestly, why would the kids need to be supervised? It's no different that going to the outdoor rink. A stern talking to a 10 year old kid that isn't yours? you must be fun. Kids being on the ice is more important that beer leaguers sorry.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Honestly, why would the kids need to be supervised? It's no different that going to the outdoor rink. A stern talking to a 10 year old kid that isn't yours? you must be fun. Kids being on the ice is more important that beer leaguers sorry.

Yeah it sucks for him that the rink can't have both adult and everyone stick & puck sessions but I'd be more concerned with the parents who feel they have to stay and watch their kids.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014

I guess I should clarify. When I said "stern talking to" I didn't mean I screamed at the kid. What I did was, i got my almost $200 dollar hockey stick back from the child who was banging it around on the ice, awkwardly trying to shoot with it and tried to explain to them why they shouldn't take other people's things. This was also after asking where his mom or dad was at and getting a shrug and a "not here" response. I guess I'm just one of those unreasonable, mean, people who doesn't want someone snatching their hockey stick without asking and then proceed to bang it and swing it around on the ice. Sorry I just really didn't feel like having to argue with some kids parents over reimbursement if it would have gotten broken.:shakehead

As far as why they should be supervised, we'll aside from the fact that they could get hurt and no one would be there to go to the hospital or alert the medics of any conditions or allergies. If the parents where there the kids wouldn't be acting crazy and running around like they do. I don't mind kids being there. Believe it or not, I was a kid once too. I just don't appreciate them ruining my ice time and every other adults ice time. by playing inside the nets, constantly running into you or skating in front of you just as you're taking a shot, or having pucks shot at you while your trying to get the pucks out of the net. It just gets old having to repeatedly be the ice "parent" out there. "Don't stand in front of the net, bud. Someone might shoot it at you."/ "don't throw your stick like that, buddy. You almost hit that guy in the face" it just gets old. Especially when the parent that should be there isn't. Honestly, if the kids were even remotely well behaved, I wouldn't have a problem with them being there. But hey, you're probably right, kids deserve to be out there way more then me. I'm just taking up THEIR ice time.:shakehead

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
My original beer league team has turned into a different team due to teammates dropping out and new players coming on, the original captain has left so we decided it's time for new jerseys and a new name. We all got together and voted for the New Jerseys and name. After it all had been decided one team mate said they do not like the name and they will not wear the jersey, yet they said nothing when it was being decided. I really like the name and don't understand what the issue is. Apparently it's offensive? Really frustrating to have to pick another name because of one person.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
My original beer league team has turned into a different team due to teammates dropping out and new players coming on, the original captain has left so we decided it's time for new jerseys and a new name. We all got together and voted for the New Jerseys and name. After it all had been decided one team mate said they do not like the name and they will not wear the jersey, yet they said nothing when it was being decided. I really like the name and don't understand what the issue is. Apparently it's offensive? Really frustrating to have to pick another name because of one person.
whats the name?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm not sure it's offensive, but there are always some people who go out of their way to take offence to stuff. I don't think it's all that clever or witty either.

I think I'd just go with HKHS on the jerseys and the entry/registration form; keep it in 'in joke'.

I once ran a work team with a name that no one could figure out, except those on the team who asked. It wasn't overtly offensive at all, quite normal or regular, but would have been perceived as a slight by many outsiders if they knew. It was an 'in joke'..and stayed that way.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
The team name being witty or clever or not is besides the point. It's just the one name we all agreed on and had jerseys ordered already. And after all that we find out there's an issue.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Helen Kellers hockey School for the deaf and blind. It would have been shortened to Helen Kellers Hockey School.

Just cut him. If he won't wear the jersey he should've said it was a deal breaker before you bought the jerseys.

That said, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey that stupid either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->