Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
IMO, I like playing with/against guys 35-60 (I'm 36) they have fun, where the younger guys want to compete more... Sure the skill level is a bit lower (well they're a bit slower) with the older guys but they sure in the hell are a lot more fun and a lot more respectful....

A lot of the younger guys, guys in their 20's and early 30's are almost trying to show off or whatever (not all of them but more than enough to get you aggravated)...

I just want to drink beer and have fun. :)

In my experience, when playing with the 35-60 crowd, the speed may be lower, but the skill level is actually higher, and it looks and plays more like hockey than "let's see who can dangle through 5 people" fest. So, for me, as well, that is more fun. I am 47, btw.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The one thing people forget in beer league is that there is nothing wrong with trying. It's the people that actually try that usually draw the hooks n slashes which creates a lot of the hostility.

Couple that with playing againt the same teams every few weeks year after year and ya things get out of hand all the time. ...oh and beer.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
WE won the championship the youngest guy on our team is 26, four of us are 28-30, and the other five are 45+ and two of them are 55+ in age. WE got moved up a division, but our team is too slow to compete in the higher division because of the older guys. We keep losing by a four plus goals due to penalties because the older guys are frustrated and hooking and slashing when getting skated by the younger opponents. We spoke to the league manager and stated our case it wasn't right to move us up for winning once when the other team we beat won 2 in a row then lost to us in championship got to stay. He said well then already have a team in the b+ league and not the b league as well. The older guys have been talking about not playing next season which will screw the other half the team, because one of them is the captain and sponsor. It really isn't that fun to just get beat over and over because half of the team has no business in the league. In the B league we were finished 7-5 with a +/- of 7 goals for the season, and won both games playoff games in OT. I don't really think it was right to move us up. How do you approach this situation correctly?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Sounds like your case is pretty valid. The only reason I can think of is the higher division had a really bad team that needed to be moved down and your team was first in line to go up. Try thinking of it that way.

While still not exactly fair, the commission I'm sure was just trying to balance the divisions. Tough call...sorry bro. I've been there

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Sounds like your case is pretty valid. The only reason I can think of is the higher division had a really bad team that needed to be moved down and your team was first in line to go up. Try thinking of it that way.

While still not exactly fair, the commission I'm sure was just trying to balance the divisions. Tough call...sorry bro. I've been there

No team moved two he added another teams and division went from 8 to 10 teams. Also a new team replaced us in our old division that is 5-0 full of kids barely out of high school. The oldest player on the team that replaced us might be at most 25. I think it was politics because we beat the owner of the rink son's team.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Sounds pretty dumb then. If you have another league local I'd threatin to leave. Leagues hate losing teams and so does the bar/restaurant.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Minor rookie league rant.

16 weeks, supposed to be 4 clinics and 12 games. I assumed we would do the four clinics first, but apparently it's 2-6-2-6, which is fine.

First week, the clinic was a draft skate to keep the teams even. That's also fine, it was a lot of fun.

Second week, each team got a combined practice with another team. I assumed that would involve figuring out positions, going over some basics of positioning, etc. Instead, we had a coach who was very nice but clearly was just whoever happened to be at the rink that day that they could rope into taking the rookies. He ran us through whatever drills he could think of for 30 minutes, then we scrimmaged for 30. Which was fun and productive, but now we are playing our first game next week and I have no clue how it's going to work, which of the people I just skated with were my teammates and which were on the other team, or if any of them know the basics like offsides or lining up for a face-off.

Oh well, all ice time is good ice time and it'll be fun no matter what.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Minor rookie league rant.

16 weeks, supposed to be 4 clinics and 12 games. I assumed we would do the four clinics first, but apparently it's 2-6-2-6, which is fine.

First week, the clinic was a draft skate to keep the teams even. That's also fine, it was a lot of fun.

Second week, each team got a combined practice with another team. I assumed that would involve figuring out positions, going over some basics of positioning, etc. Instead, we had a coach who was very nice but clearly was just whoever happened to be at the rink that day that they could rope into taking the rookies. He ran us through whatever drills he could think of for 30 minutes, then we scrimmaged for 30. Which was fun and productive, but now we are playing our first game next week and I have no clue how it's going to work, which of the people I just skated with were my teammates and which were on the other team, or if any of them know the basics like offsides or lining up for a face-off.

Oh well, all ice time is good ice time and it'll be fun no matter what.

Welcome to the amazing world of beer league. I played the first game of a new season last night, with only 8 people showing up, 4 of whom were brand new to the team. We figured out lines on the ice before the opening face-off. Lost the game, but had a good time, nevertheless.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Welcome to the amazing world of beer league. I played the first game of a new season last night, with only 8 people showing up, 4 of whom were brand new to the team. We figured out lines on the ice before the opening face-off. Lost the game, but had a good time, nevertheless.

Oh the days of going to tournaments with only eight and going to the 5v5 4v4 3v3....overtime rule. To be 16 again

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Oh the days of going to tournaments with only eight and going to the 5v5 4v4 3v3....overtime rule. To be 16 again

Ha-ha, yes, "to be 16 again." Except I am 47. Funny thing that the younger guys on my team last night were complaining about how tired they were at the end, while a 50-something y/o and myself felt like we could play another period. And no, we were not taking it easy during the game.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
You cop a hit once a season? Non checking or otherwise, you're still playing hockey. Was it a high or dirty hit? Were you hurt or injured? You're playing a contact sport and still need to protect yourself at all times, expect the unexpected and expect to get knocked on your ass occasionally. I'm picking it didn't really hurt you one bit?

I don't take a lot of penalties, but very occasionally I let someone have it, always because they've been dishing it out or taking liberties to begin with. Never high, from behind or late and never to injure anyone, but certainly to send a message.

same boat here, usually I will open ice check them and leave it at that and that usually stops it.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
IMO, I like playing with/against guys 35-60 (I'm 36) they have fun, where the younger guys want to compete more... Sure the skill level is a bit lower (well they're a bit slower) with the older guys but they sure in the hell are a lot more fun and a lot more respectful....

A lot of the younger guys, guys in their 20's and early 30's are almost trying to show off or whatever (not all of them but more than enough to get you aggravated)...

I just want to drink beer and have fun. :)

I'm 31 and my whole team is 19-21 year old kids. It's a blast when they play as a team and we are the better of the teams when that happens but like most 19-21 year olds they get off their game when someone just pokes them.

But last sundays game we played a team from a division above us and just destroyed them. They were an older bunch of men but they couldn't keep up with the passes. Was so much fun playing a game where respect on both sides and you could just play hockey.

MD56

Feb 2, 2015
Played in an Iron Man tourney over the weekend. 15 minute games, no whistles. Played against one team who's goalie seemed to take every opportunity to charge out of the net and go for the big poke. He ended up hurting one of our guys when he came way out of the net, did a big diving poke and sent our skater @ss over teakettle.

Too dangerous for beer leagues imo...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Friend of mine got his leg broken during an inline game on Tuesday...by a ref who plays on the opposing team. This came after the same guy gave a huge slash on their goalie (my goalie, actually, who jumped in to replace an injured goalie from a collision in the prior period).

And for the love of God please nobody say "if you don't want someone to break your legs, don't play hockey" and start that up again :sarcasm:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Summer regular season is finally. ****ing. OVER. Gotta lose 2 quick playoff games and we're done.

I've never had such a ****** experience playing hockey in my life.

This is my second team, which I play year round. it's the definition of an E division team (Rec) .. There's a couple of us who play D1, but I'm a winger playing defense and my buddy who plays center is our goalie, a bunch of people who returned to hockey after X years off, and some brand new people to the game. Last season the team was brand new, we were registered in D2, started the season off 0-8, then got bumped down to E division where we were able to get our **** together and compete. We wound up winning the playoffs and then winning the facility championships and get to play in the regional tournament at the end of August. It was great to see the team come together and improve and win.

So anyway, why it sucked: this year we played our first game in E, won, then got bumped up to D2 because they only had 1 team in the division for our night and we were I guess expected to be the top team in E. They also brought two D1 teams down. How. the ****. Is an E team supposed to compete against a D1 team? Even if they're bad! We can't even beat D2 teams!

So we finish this season with 1 win and 10 losses. Our only win came against a team who had 2 guys on the bench. It was luck, and we barely won even then.

We scored 30 goals and allowed 62.

ANY other season if a team was doing that bad the league would bump them down to the next lower division and vice versa if a team in a division was dominating everyone else.

Combine our D2 record this year with last years and we're 1 win 18 losses.
We can't play D2. The team just isn't good enough. I'm not trashing my team at all, I love playing with them, I just know what it is - a bunch of recreational players. We chase pucks, play out of positions, some just learned to skate. Playing people better than you helps you improve, sure, but does it really when they're 2 ****ing divisions ahead of you? It's not fun getting stomped 8-2 or 6-0 every friggin game.

We're just basically waiting for our playoffs to be done with and then we get to play in our regional tournament in August in our proper division, so I'm really excited for that at least. And then winter season starts in September and hopefully it goes a little better lol

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't currently play in a men's league/beer league, I only play rat hockey (open hockey) as many days a week as I can. When I'm at rat hockey, I stick to D and feel I have a pretty strong game. I get positive comments about my defensive play, which I appreciate.

I ended up playing in a tournament with a well established men's league team, and came in a bit nervous hoping I had a good game and they might consider adding me to the team. Good guys, I wouldn't mind playing with them. Problem is, they played terrible. So therefore, I also played terrible. As D, I'd get the puck in our zone and look up for a breakout pass (something which is my strongest skill), and all the guys were by the opposing blue line. And not moving. So I'd throw it up the boards or end up turning it over to the opposing teams heavy forecheck. In one of the games, the other team was forechecking hard, and it felt like 4 against 2 in our zone. Three forwards floating around up high hoping for a magical breakout pass.

The worst part was, guys were blaming us (defense) for the goals against. So since that tournament, my motivation to play hockey has been kinda shot... I played a pick-up game and tried to get back going and have some fun, but the tournament was so bad that it was even hard to play rat hockey. I'm hoping to skate tomorrow and try to have fun again. I've been hoping to find a men's league team to try and play some competitive hockey again, but at this point I figure I'll be a career rat hockey player.

Stick with the open hockey . I played in a variety of men's leagues and always wound up on the worst team in the league . Most leagues are pretty clique and often unless you are among the clique , you will find it hard to play with good players . I always preferred a game of hockey without referees . Some of the most competitive, yet fun games of hockey were pick up games and usually the guys will try to even up the teams in pickup , not always the case in leagues.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I prefer the pick up. It's longer, you get a better workout and it's a lot less frustrating and certainly more challenging in terms of speed and skill level when there are guys who've played junior and college. That's where I constantly learn and improve.

But I and probably plenty of others still want or need to be tested in a 'proper' game environment, where you can put that effort and improvement into effect. The league games can be frustrating (others frustrate me along with the short games). The skill level might not be as high, but it's more competitive and you can better gauge your improvement.

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now and don't get frustrated with myself much, essentially because I'm confident my skating, handling and shooting are reasonably proficient now to the point where I've shut others up, the guys that aren't too good but are always telling you how to play and giving you advice on your game.

I'm about 4th or 5th in scoring out of about 14 of 15 on our books, but I play predominantly with a couple of weaker guys where either the passes don't come or they're terrible; and when you give them chances they aren't converted. You can't buy an assist; and when you do invariably it's not recorded or credited.

What is frustrating is where you have the most unproductive guys running the team, the bench, positions, lines and pairings. I'd kill to play with someone else that can generate proper chances and put the puck in the net. Sometimes you just wanna say, 'hey you guys never stop running the show and talking, but I can count your season points total between you all on one hand. Imagine if you took a step back and invited some input from others'. 'Why do you play D when you can't skate backwards properly, look up with the puck or execute a half decent pass..and you don't have a point all season'
.. but you deem yourself crucial enough to take up half the ice time every game'?

..now that's frustrating.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
'Why do you play D when you can't skate backwards properly, look up with the puck or execute a half decent pass..and you don't have a point all season'

Got a guy on my team EXACTLY like this. Whether he's on the ice or bench, you can hear him screaming from anywhere in the rink. (He's got one of those loud shrill voices) He's the most judgemental and hypocritical person I think I've ever met in my life. When he sees the opposing forwards heading towards our zone he actually turns his back to them starts skating towards our goalie let's them get right next to him (passing him) Then tries to spin around and coast backwards. His defensive pairing has allowed probably 90% of our goals against this season and every season I can remember. He stares at the puck on His blade while passing to the opposing team. If they named the three stars after beer league games, he would be one of them (for the other team) but the frustrating part about it isn't his lack of skill, but rather his need to point out everyone else's. He yells at people to pick up their head when they pass. He yells at people to "learn how to skate" and hasn't had a point in over three seasons (which he frequently laughs about in the locker room) but yells at the forwards that we need to be more productive out there. To which I think, if you'd quit helping the other team rack up points we wouldn't have to score so much to stay in the game.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Got a guy on my team EXACTLY like this. Whether he's on the ice or bench, you can hear him screaming from anywhere in the rink. (He's got one of those loud shrill voices) He's the most judgemental and hypocritical person I think I've ever met in my life. When he sees the opposing forwards heading towards our zone he actually turns his back to them starts skating towards our goalie let's them get right next to him (passing him) Then tries to spin around and coast backwards. His defensive pairing has allowed probably 90% of our goals against this season and every season I can remember. He stares at the puck on His blade while passing to the opposing team. If they named the three stars after beer league games, he would be one of them (for the other team) but the frustrating part about it isn't his lack of skill, but rather his need to point out everyone else's. He yells at people to pick up their head when they pass. He yells at people to "learn how to skate" and hasn't had a point in over three seasons (which he frequently laughs about in the locker room) but yells at the forwards that we need to be more productive out there. To which I think, if you'd quit helping the other team rack up points we wouldn't have to score so much to stay in the game.

Yeah that's frustrating and too familiar; but they're not a bad bunch of guys, they just have no real idea and I don't think have ever played any sport at any real level, even high school, to really understand about how to win a contest. If they deferred a bit to others, put some proper thought into positions, lines and pairings and recognised their own limitations the team would be running a lot better with the exact same roster.

Unfortunately, they're determined to play at the back just so they can get the biggest ice time, though that's not their reason of course; and they're happy to say why they don't the skill to play forward. We regularly play with three of the four D who have barely an assist, don't have a goal between them all season; and won't, but they're veteran team members. If they were actually solid defenders and could move the puck properly it wouldn't matter, but they aren't and they can't.

..and it's not that they're absolutely hopeless, they can get around the ice, but they always need a head start, so give up the blue line too easily, struggle to hold the puck in the zone and seem to just shoot the puck along the ice. If it does get off the ice it invariably deflects off a defenders shin pads and creates an easy turnover or breakaway chance.

At the level of play, you'd think the ability to accelerate and crossover backwards to some degree and handle the puck some while skating backwards would be a given; it isn't.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Having some organizational difficulties with my team. I'm one of the assistant captains, and have effectively taken over admin stuff this summer, as the other captains have tons of "life stuff" going on. Which is fine, except I feel like I'm the only one actually trying to hold the team together at times. We play in a really quite well-organized league, so I'm trying to keep things, well, organized, but it's hard when it doesn't always feel like a priority for anyone else. Worst is when maybe 2/3 of the team will get back to me about this or that, but I can't do anything until I get simple Y/N answer from the others (almost everything is paid for by team, not by player). I know this is only recreational hockey so I want to keep it fun, but it's really starting to feel like work.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Unfortunately, they're determined to play at the back just so they can get the biggest ice time, though that's not their reason of course; and they're happy to say why they don't the skill to play forward. We regularly play with three of the four D who have barely an assist, don't have a goal between them all season; and won't, but they're veteran team members. If they were actually solid defenders and could move the puck properly it wouldn't matter, but they aren't and they can't..

I've played with guys like this, and if anything, being hemmed in your own zone for long stretches exposes a lack of skill much more so than being an unproductive winger.

I'm fortunate that everyone on my current team are friends with one another, and we have an unspoken understanding that our better players are typically going to be playing defense. The less experienced players seem to prefer it actually as we can regain possession more quickly and get the puck back to them. Plus with ~2 lines most nights, nobody really feels cheated out of ice time.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Having some organizational difficulties with my team. I'm one of the assistant captains, and have effectively taken over admin stuff this summer, as the other captains have tons of "life stuff" going on. Which is fine, except I feel like I'm the only one actually trying to hold the team together at times. We play in a really quite well-organized league, so I'm trying to keep things, well, organized, but it's hard when it doesn't always feel like a priority for anyone else. Worst is when maybe 2/3 of the team will get back to me about this or that, but I can't do anything until I get simple Y/N answer from the others (almost everything is paid for by team, not by player). I know this is only recreational hockey so I want to keep it fun, but it's really starting to feel like work.

Get their money, and make sure you have a long sub list, and you'll be good. Not your job to herd them. They're adults who shouldn't need coddling.

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
I love playing on my team and it's usually pretty good (we play in the lowest div) when we are matched to the same teams but there's bound to be that 1 or 2 teams that are above the div but not quite good enough for the next.

I find it really frustrating, especially playing those teams, when in the defensive zone the forwards collapse and chase the puck - leaving the point open and the other team cycles all day long. When we can finally get it out and get even close to setting up, the forwards don't use the 2 d and force things to happen which usually involves a breakout the other way. Things like skating right by an open d-man while the forward has 2 guys on him and refuse to pass it off to the d-man or passing up open passing lanes (i'm talking straight eye to eye contact) only to send it to the other team. It's frustrating because I feel like those are the little things that can really change how we compete against those teams, and that we are capable of doing it but just don't do it.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Summary of post ref intentionally changes rules to alter outcome of game:
Before the game one of the refs is socializing and hanging out with the team on the bench. The first shift they dump the puck in our zone, and retrieve it around the other defense-man. The forward shoots the puck, and the other forward I am covering skates backwards into me, and then high sticks me in my throat and cage making the distinct stick on metal sound. I fall to the ground, and the forward gets the rebound off the shot and scores. I ask the ref honestly man you know that was a high stick and you waived no penalty then waived it a goal. That high stick directly lead to a goal, and the ref replies" when you are skating backwards you can't see where you stick is." I say the rule states you have to be in control of your stick at all times, and you know that. By your own logic if you are driving backwards and can't see behind you are not responsible for anything you hit. He says "he skated into backwards you, and his stick didn't see you." A guy yells from our bench that ****ing bull **** sticks don'y have eyes! They can't see anything you are making **** up." He gives us a penalty warranted or not still bogus. The ref is justifying him intentionally not calling a rule. They get a power play. They skate into the zone, we dump the puck out of the zone to center ice. They have a forward still in the offensive zone, that never left. The defense-man does not even go after the forward entering the zone, because it is clearly offside. The forward gets a breakway because the other forward never left the zone. They score. The ref says it is a goal, and the defenseman was like that is ******** you know it was offside. The ref says " I am more concerned with your teams mouths then calling offsides." We score a goal and make it 2-1. AS the period is ending I steal a puck center ice and go on one with the defense-man, and as I skate by him grabs me and holds me. Another player comes from behind and checks me in the numbers. The ref only calls the hold, not the check from behind in beer league. I ask the ref why was there not two calls, one for the holding and another for the check. The same ref replies " why should I call it when your team runs their mouth at me." I laughed at him and said bad reffing leads to bad hockey.This game is going to get out of hand. The opening face off for the next period the other team and our team is yelling at each other over the hit. A guy comes off their bench being the sixth man and skates toward our team's center and pushes him. Telling him checking is part of hockey, and stop being a whiny *****. The center looks at the ref and says you are really going to allow a sixth man to enter the ice and do this without calling anything. The ref doesn't say anything. The center then pushes the player back and tells him go to the bench so we can play hockey. Our team gets two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct. They score on the power play which is three goals directly related to intentional bad reffing. We end up losing 4-1. We asked the other ref about it after the game, and he said he was the head ref can't change his call. The other ref died laughing said just report the ref all you can do.They score another power play goal after hitting the goalie after, and our playing threw the guy on the ice and shoved it. I think should have went both ways, but it was a justified. The captain talks to the rink manager about this ref, and he says file a complaint with head ref. I don't get involved with reffing. The captain filed a complaint with the head ref, and he said I wasn't there. This is just hearsay and there is nothing I can do. What can you do about a total biased and unfair situation like this?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Summary of post ref intentionally changes rules to alter outcome of game:
Before the game one of the refs is socializing and hanging out with the team on the bench. The first shift they dump the puck in our zone, and retrieve it around the other defense-man. The forward shoots the puck, and the other forward I am covering skates backwards into me, and then high sticks me in my throat and cage making the distinct stick on metal sound. I fall to the ground, and the forward gets the rebound off the shot and scores. I ask the ref honestly man you know that was a high stick and you waived no penalty then waived it a goal. That high stick directly lead to a goal, and the ref replies" when you are skating backwards you can't see where you stick is." I say the rule states you have to be in control of your stick at all times, and you know that. By your own logic if you are driving backwards and can't see behind you are not responsible for anything you hit. He says "he skated into backwards you, and his stick didn't see you." A guy yells from our bench that ****ing bull **** sticks don'y have eyes! They can't see anything you are making **** up." He gives us a penalty warranted or not still bogus. The ref is justifying him intentionally not calling a rule. They get a power play. They skate into the zone, we dump the puck out of the zone to center ice. They have a forward still in the offensive zone, that never left. The defense-man does not even go after the forward entering the zone, because it is clearly offside. The forward gets a breakway because the other forward never left the zone. They score. The ref says it is a goal, and the defenseman was like that is ******** you know it was offside. The ref says " I am more concerned with your teams mouths then calling offsides." We score a goal and make it 2-1. AS the period is ending I steal a puck center ice and go on one with the defense-man, and as I skate by him grabs me and holds me. Another player comes from behind and checks me in the numbers. The ref only calls the hold, not the check from behind in beer league. I ask the ref why was there not two calls, one for the holding and another for the check. The same ref replies " why should I call it when your team runs their mouth at me." I laughed at him and said bad reffing leads to bad hockey.This game is going to get out of hand. The opening face off for the next period the other team and our team is yelling at each other over the hit. A guy comes off their bench being the sixth man and skates toward our team's center and pushes him. Telling him checking is part of hockey, and stop being a whiny *****. The center looks at the ref and says you are really going to allow a sixth man to enter the ice and do this without calling anything. The ref doesn't say anything. The center then pushes the player back and tells him go to the bench so we can play hockey. Our team gets two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct. They score on the power play which is three goals directly related to intentional bad reffing. We end up losing 4-1. We asked the other ref about it after the game, and he said he was the head ref can't change his call. The other ref died laughing said just report the ref all you can do.They score another power play goal after hitting the goalie after, and our playing threw the guy on the ice and shoved it. I think should have went both ways, but it was a justified. The captain talks to the rink manager about this ref, and he says file a complaint with head ref. I don't get involved with reffing. The captain filed a complaint with the head ref, and he said I wasn't there. This is just hearsay and there is nothing I can do. What can you do about a total biased and unfair situation like this?

tell the league manager your team and your money are leaving to another rink if he officiates another game your team is participating in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad