OT: Beer chat

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
IPA's are disgusting and beer is blue collar. All these hipster brewing companies and flight tastings have gone off the rail. Beer is drank with a fist, not with a pinky out and a nose in the air.

End Rant.
I think we need a regular beer thread and a "this beer is horrible I want to vent" thread. ;)

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
IPA's are disgusting and beer is blue collar. All these hipster brewing companies and flight tastings have gone off the rail. Beer is drank with a fist, not with a pinky out and a nose in the air.

End Rant.
I kind of agree with you. I've been getting more basic beers for a while now, mostly local and also German. The German beers tend to be just very tasty and not fancy. I suspect they taste more like what American beers tasted like a few generations ago.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I kind of agree with you. I've been getting more basic beers for a while now, mostly local and also German. The German beers tend to be just very tasty and not fancy. I suspect they taste more like what American beers tasted like a few generations ago.

Radeberger is a good beer.

Urguell while not German is a similar brew and from the same region.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

End Rant.

Not a fan of IPAs. The sour beers are even worse.

I'll take a stout or porter over anything else. The Guinness here is good but clearly better in Ireland. Only been there once and maybe it was just in my head but I think it's a real thing.

If it's a hot summer day, a pilsner/lager goes down easily but generally they're tasteless. The worst is a light beer.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

I'll take a stout or porter over anything else. The Guinness here is good but clearly better in Ireland. Only been there once and maybe it was just in my head but I think it's a real thing.

If it's a hot summer day, a pilsner/lager goes down easily but generally they're tasteless. The worst is a light beer.

Ironically... they down budwiser in Ireland like it's going out of business.

Ireland's Biggest-Selling Alcohol Brands Revealed | Hospitality Ireland

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

There's a good Belgian pub not far from me and I always get a sour there (kinda made for that food). I generally am not an huge IPA fan, although I do like the ones that are balanced by malt. Irish stouts are great and made for having more than one. :) Re: pilsners, if I have a German one and don't drink it too fast or ice-cold I get lots of flavor, albeit more subtle.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
There's a good Belgian pub not far from me and I always get a sour there (kinda made for that food). I generally am not an huge IPA fan, although I do like the ones that are balanced by malt. Irish stouts are great and made for having more than one. :) Re: pilsners, if I have a German one and don't drink it too fast or ice-cold I get lots of flavor, albeit more subtle.

Agree that the imported pilsners can be good, as can a Sam Adams. It seems like the domestic brewers have taken the taste out of their flagship beers. By design, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Good quick read-

“Walk into a brewery taproom today and it’s no surprise the menu is littered with IPAs. The hop bombs keep the lights on. But look to the corner of the beer list and you’ll likely see a humble lager. Order it. It’s the most carefully brewed beer on tap. While loud and bold IPAs are brewed for the consumer, subtle and highly drinkable lagers are brewed for the brewer.”

read more-

Why Your Brewer's Favorite Beer Is a Lager

dv92

Jun 30, 2014
Corona is my favorite followed by Yuengling. Love, love, love beer!

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I've been drinking Montauk Wave Chaser like its goin out of style.

anything by Greenport Harbor Brewing Company is great too.

as for non-ipas vs ipas....lets not fight amongst eachother...everything can be appreciated for what it is...and in the case of IPAs...for their high alcohol content! Pass the Pilsner Urquell please

Reactions: eoin92

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

A lot of the microbreweries seem to be competing to see who can make the hoppiest IPA. Personally, I like a really hoppy one very occasionally.

Stouts and porters are good. When we were in Ireland a couple of years ago, in addition to the de rigeur stop at Guinness, we must have tried twenty local stouts, all of which were excellent. Many of the local (Canadian) microbreweries make them too chocolatey or too bitter for my taste.

For a good summertime lager, I like Harp (Ireland) and Amsterdam Blonde (Toronto).

Great Lakes Brewery makes an excellent stout called 'Shinny Pants'. A bit lighter flavor than most, and highly drinkable.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
A lot of the microbreweries seem to be competing to see who can make the hoppiest IPA. Personally, I like a really hoppy one very occasionally.

Stouts and porters are good. When we were in Ireland a couple of years ago, in addition to the de rigeur stop at Guinness, we must have tried twenty local stouts, all of which were excellent. Many of the local (Canadian) microbreweries make them too chocolatey or too bitter for my taste.

For a good summertime lager, I like Harp (Ireland) and Amsterdam Blonde (Toronto).

Great Lakes Brewery makes an excellent stout called 'Shinny Pants'. A bit lighter flavor than most, and highly drinkable.

Thanks for the tips. Aside from Harp, which is great on a warm summer day, I haven't tried the others. They're on my list now.

The only other adult beverage I had in Ireland was Jameson. Yes that one.

My dad, brother and I played 18 holes at Old Head and finished a bottle of Jameson on the patio overlooking the 18th hole. Truly memorable and crazy expensive but worth it. Highly recommended.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's funny, my dad mentioned the Guinness tasted better when we were over in Ireland but I didn't notice much of a difference. The biggest thing for me was that it was available on tap everywhere which is just delightful. Guinness is definitely my favorite, it has real taste and it isn't hoppy or taste like piss. Other stouts are always good, but I stay away from anything that is too close to coffee.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

End Rant.

Im at a point where i basically can only drink IPAs. Everything else is now pretty bland and tasteless in comparison.

And i drink them with my pinky down.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
There so many different IPAs out there, some taste like Orange Juice and some taste like pinecones.

Imo Heineken and Harp are pure s***, in North America and Europe. When I see someone drinking Heineken I think "sucker".

Reactions: SteveH124

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad