OT: Beer chat

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This?

beer_6110.jpg
I don't think that's it, although it was a number of years ago and maybe they changed the labeling. I generally like porters a lot, but the stuff I bought had a really odd taste to it. Not good!

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Love me some sours/goses.
Me too. I mentioned earlier that there is a great Belgian pub near me where I like to get a sour with my meal. The one I usually get is Petrus Aged Pale Ale. It's so good! It's not over the top sour, but just a little "off", in a good way. ;)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Great post! I bought a case of beer several years ago - I think it was like a Lithuanian Porter or something (not sure what I was thinking at the time). It was 24 bottles, about 20 ounces each. I opened the first bottle, had a taste, and knew immediately that I made a very big mistake. But I'm cheap enough that I drank the whole case over the next few months. The last one tasted better than the first 23.
We have a local brewery, Amsterdam, that makes some very hoppy IPAs; one is called 'boneshaker', and the label has a skeleton riding an old style bike, without rubber tires. Last Christmas they had a special package of four boneshakers and a skull-shaped mug. I bought one for each of my kids, who like the beer, and one for my brother-in-law, who's a trucker and biker, and really into skulls. In the summer I was doing some work on his garage, and mentioned that a beer would be good. He goes in the house and brings out two of the boneshakers, both for me. Said he tried one and couldn't drink it, and gave one to a friend who couldn't stand it either. I asked him about the mug, and he said he uses it all the time.

Reactions: doublechili

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Once you keg you will never bottle again. One word of caution though. It is really hard to walk by that tap without pulling the handle. It almost calls your name when you walk by... Cheers.

I agree 100%, once I got kegs, I never bottled again. What a pain in the ass.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Can't beat German beer, especially in Germany. Even their swill beats the pants off most corporate American beer.
At the end of the day, after all the hazy, wild yeast, dry-hopped, west-coast, session, etc. IPA's, the classic European pilsner stands out. Impeccably balanced with a unique flavor that in my mind, sets a gold standard. I enjoy most types of beer and feel like a kid in a candy store these days with so many craft breweries. But to me, nothing beats a Czech or German lager, on tap, poured properly with a nice thick head, in a proper glass, in a proper pub in Central Europe. THAT'S the way to truly enjoy a beer.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Celebrator is my absolute favorite beer.
I like your thinking...err, drinking! One of the best doppels and thankfully distributed around here. Spaten's Optimator isn't bad, and Paulaner's Salvator is good too, but Celebrator is so much better and worth the higher price and packaging (4pack ~$18).
It's my go to when Lonnie Quinn rolls up his sleeves and says snow is on the way.

Reactions: Strummergas

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
At the end of the day, after all the hazy, wild yeast, dry-hopped, west-coast, session, etc. IPA's, the classic European pilsner stands out. Impeccably balanced with a unique flavor that in my mind, sets a gold standard. I enjoy most types of beer and feel like a kid in a candy store these days with so many craft breweries. But to me, nothing beats a Czech or German lager, on tap, poured properly with a nice thick head, in a proper glass, in a proper pub in Central Europe. THAT'S the way to truly enjoy a beer.
I had a revelation a few years ago. I too enjoyed all the modern kinds of beers that you listed and was at an outdoor restaurant on a summer evening and was disappointed with their limited beer menu. So I "settled" for a Hofbrau on draft. I enjoyed that beer more than any I had had in years. Now I drink a lot less "crafty" beers and a lot more classic stuff. At home right now I've got some DAB, some Pilsner Urquell (just bought it thanks to this thread) and some Sly Fox breakfast stout (local brewery).

Reactions: buud

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I had a revelation a few years ago. I too enjoyed all the modern kinds of beers that you listed and was at an outdoor restaurant on a summer evening and was disappointed with their limited beer menu. So I "settled" for a Hofbrau on draft. I enjoyed that beer more than any I had had in years. Now I drink a lot less "crafty" beers and a lot more classic stuff. At home right now I've got some DAB, some Pilsner Urquell (just bought it thanks to this thread) and some Sly Fox breakfast stout (local brewery).

I just got burned out on the hoppy/craft stuff. There are A LOT of local breweries in my neck of the woods, and I was enjoying sampling all of their different brews. But one day, I just found them to be undrinkable; I literally had difficulty swallowing them. Even their non-ales were hoppy!

During my first trip to Germany, I rediscovered the magic of Pilsners and they've pretty much been my go-to's ever since.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

You're welcome.

Reactions: doublechili

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i'm dying... :( was told to avoid beer, for health reasons. but i am not feeling better! i am going insane!! :D

i understand that stout is a general term for 'heavy' beer. i usually prefer the more bitter version, if i am having more than a few, but i love porter, and really enjoy some dark pilsners, like Kostritzer and DAB. we make a decent dark up here in Canada, for the price. Waterloo Dark.

waterloo-brewing-co-waterloo-dark-premium-lager-beer-ontario-canada-10286626.jpg

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I fell IPAs are starting to slip and my friends who have been riding the IPA train since Heady Topper exploded on to the scene are now really into sours as well. I'm drinking less DIPAs myself, although I had a Bissel Brothers Swish last week that blew my mind.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
i'm dying... :( was told to avoid beer, for health reasons. but i am not feeling better! i am going insane!! :D

i understand that stout is a general term for 'heavy' beer. i usually prefer the more bitter version, if i am having more than a few, but i love porter, and really enjoy some dark pilsners, like Kostritzer and DAB. we make a decent dark up here in Canada, for the price. Waterloo Dark.

waterloo-brewing-co-waterloo-dark-premium-lager-beer-ontario-canada-10286626.jpg
Up here in Canada reminded me of a song.

Reactions: buud

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is one beer.
I don't know the name or if it's dutch or belgian.
But i know its golden with a harlekin on it.
That was bad. Real bad.
unimaginbile bad.
Not 'bad', because there wasn't anything to judge, but Sleeman Clear was just a waste of a bottle. Imagine Bud Light diluted with equal parts water and you get an idea.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Try the GLB 'Shinny Pants'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->