OT: Beer chat

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Are you sure you're asking the right bunch here?

I had a slight inclination to dabble with the dry January as December was pretty rife with drinks but then my brother in law swung by for a bit in the afternoon on the first Saturday in January and said "wanna have a drink?" and just like that, my dry January lasted 4 days.

I've been there before!

I like to take breaks from time to time. On average they last about a month, rarely any longer but sometimes up to 2 on occasion. This is the longest I've been dry in my adult life, and there's an odd sense of permanence to it. However, those could also be famous last words.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I've been there before!

I like to take breaks from time to time. On average they last about a month, rarely any longer but sometimes up to 2 on occasion. This is the longest I've been dry in my adult life, and there's an odd sense of permanence to it. However, those could also be famous last words.
Don't be a quitter.

Reactions: SteveH124

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Yeah, that was a terrible analogy. More realistically, craft beers are like Morton's while mass-produced swill is like Outback. You can enjoy Outback and that's fine, but don't try to convince anyone it's better.

That's not to say that all craft beer is great, because there's plenty that sucks, but most of it is very good.

I was sticking with the condiment theme. Something worse than ketchup on a steak.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like craft beer. My only issue with craft beer is how it reflects on some beer drinkers. Craft beers tend to be new and some people act like they're the be all and end all and ignore or look down their noses at beers that have been around for decades or even 100s of years. Go to Beer Advocate or some other beer rating site and craft IPAs get the high scores and a classic pilsner, ale, etc., that's been brewed forever gets a mediocre score because it doesn't assault some guy's dulled taste buds. Now maybe a Weheinstephaner or something like that will get a high ranking, but that's probably because the person doing the ranking knows they're supposed to give it a high score. Some people even kinda look down their noses at early craft beers like Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam because they've been around too long. It's the newer is better syndrome. "Yeah, Pilsner Urquell is okay, but it's not that interesting and not nearly as good as "Granpa's Wrinkly Ass IPA"".

So, I guess craft beer is kinda like HF....

Reactions: Axel574

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I like craft beer. My only issue with craft beer is how it reflects on some beer drinkers. Craft beers tend to be new and some people act like they're the be all and end all and ignore or look down their noses at beers that have been around for decades or even 100s of years. Go to Beer Advocate or some other beer rating site and craft IPAs get the high scores and a classic pilsner, ale, etc., that's been brewed forever gets a mediocre score because it doesn't assault some guy's dulled taste buds. Now maybe a Weheinstephaner or something like that will get a high ranking, but that's probably because the person doing the ranking knows they're supposed to give it a high score. Some people even kinda look down their noses at early craft beers like Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam because they've been around too long. It's the newer is better syndrome. "Yeah, Pilsner Urquell is okay, but it's not that interesting and not nearly as good as "Granpa's Wrinkly Ass IPA"".

So, I guess craft beer is kinda like HF....

Granpa’s Wrinkly Ass is delicious though.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Granpa’s Wrinkly Ass is delicious though.
...and then there's the Granpa's Wrinkly Ass #4 which is a hybrid of GWA and Uncle Joe's Toe Cheese DIPA which has hints of tar paper and nitrous.

I agree - it does start to get silly after a while. But up til that point, there are indeed a ton of very good beers out there now.

Reactions: doublechili

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Craft beer is awesome. Hopefully the new arena has tons of good options. Citi Field does an OK job of this inside (Mikeller, right outside does an A+++++) but even they can improve. Give me 10% ABV russian imperial stouts as I watch my Islanders win a cup and I'd be in heaven.

Reactions: SteveH124

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Craft beer is awesome. Hopefully the new arena has tons of good options. Citi Field does an OK job of this inside (Mikeller, right outside does an A+++++) but even they can improve. Give me 10% ABV russian imperial stouts as I watch my Islanders win a cup and I'd be in heaven.
I love a good Russian stout, but a 10% beer probably isn't what you should be selling to obnoxious fans at a hockey game.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bump.

Would love to hear about the selection of adult beverages at UBS...as a martini fan is there a spot that will accommodate me?

Reactions: Strummergas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad