OT: Beer chat

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I saw in the game that they sell Modelo at the rink. One of the better Mexican beers (I hate Corona). Anyone tried their Negra? Pretty good - I'm having one now.

Reactions: The Real JT

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I had the local Black Hog Brewing Co. Coffee Milk Stout this weekend.

Good call if you're into stouts.

:handclap:
I'm a big fan of stouts,but I find a lot of microbreweries make them too sweet/chocolaty/coffeey for my taste.

I had one a couple of years ago that tasted like I was licking an ashtray. :thumbd:

GLB (Great Lakes Brewery, in Ontario) makes a good one, called Shinny Pants. :thumbu:

I'll see if I can find yours.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'm a big fan of stouts,but I find a lot of microbreweries make them too sweet/chocolaty/coffeey for my taste.

I had one a couple of years ago that tasted like I was licking an ashtray. :thumbd:

GLB (Great Lakes Brewery, in Ontario) makes a good one, called Shinny Pants. :thumbu:

I'll see if I can find yours.

The one I mentioned is not sweet but as the name suggests, there's a coffee-like taste to it.

I'll see if I can find Shinny Pants. There's an enormous store called Total Wine near me and if they don't have it, I'm SOL.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Non craft mass produced beer is like putting mustard on a steak.
Go drink a mustard, orange, pumpkin beer with extra hops. I'll stick with what a beer is supposed to taste like... And I'm not talking about Bud so don't bother going there.

Great comeback BTW.

Reactions: BrockLobster

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Nice! Where in LB?

Used to go to Barrier a bunch when I lived in LB but having one on the island itself would've been great.

Right across from the LB train station. Bright Eye Beer Company. Its in the place that used to be that variety store that closed up. Its the owner of Heneghans in Pt Lookout. Feb 21 opening! (I cant make it due to having tix to john tonelli night at the barn.)

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I think you confuse "craft beer" with extra hoppy IPAs. They also make pilsners, lagers, etc.

I see, yes I associate craft beer with breweries that make beer that doesn't taste like beer. Lagunitas for example … tastes like bitter vomit.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think you confuse "craft beer" with extra hoppy IPAs. They also make pilsners, lagers, etc.

They do, but they tend to be a bit too hoppy for the types of beer they're supposed to be. The only local "craft" Pilsner I've ever had that didn't taste like an ale was Singlecut's. They did a fantastic job!

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Right across from the LB train station. Bright Eye Beer Company. Its in the place that used to be that variety store that closed up. Its the owner of Heneghans in Pt Lookout. Feb 21 opening! (I cant make it due to having tix to john tonelli night at the barn.)

Would be a nice spot to head to after some Gino's! If I still lived in Long Beach I would definitely check it out

Reactions: SteveH124

crasherino

May 9, 2013
They do, but they tend to be a bit too hoppy for the types of beer they're supposed to be. The only local "craft" Pilsner I've ever had that didn't taste like an ale was Singlecut's. They did a fantastic job!
How about the Vliet from Threes? I went there before last night's games - didn't have a Vliet but had several delicious IPAs. Not that its a bad thing, but these breweries seem to make a whole bunch of beers that are seemingly very similar. Good for them I guess - as the consumer, not sure I need it, but if it makes them happy, more power to them.

They also had Hill Farmstead George on draft. That's a great Brown Ale. Yup - got to the game a bit late.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
How about the Vliet from Threes? I went there before last night's games - didn't have a Vliet but had several delicious IPAs. Not that its a bad thing, but these breweries seem to make a whole bunch of beers that are seemingly very similar. Good for them I guess - as the consumer, not sure I need it, but if it makes them happy, more power to them.

They also had Hill Farmstead George on draft. That's a great Brown Ale. Yup - got to the game a bit late.

Haven't had the Vliet or the George, but of course I'm willing to try both. That is, if I ever actually drink again. Been dry since Thanksgiving and have had zero desire to imbibe. Am I maturing or simply becoming boring?

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Non craft mass produced beer is like putting mustard on a steak.
Yeah, that was a terrible analogy. More realistically, craft beers are like Morton's while mass-produced swill is like Outback. You can enjoy Outback and that's fine, but don't try to convince anyone it's better.

That's not to say that all craft beer is great, because there's plenty that sucks, but most of it is very good.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Haven't had the Vliet or the George, but of course I'm willing to try both. That is, if I ever actually drink again. Been dry since Thanksgiving and have had zero desire to imbibe. Am I maturing or simply becoming boring?
Are you sure you're asking the right bunch here?

I had a slight inclination to dabble with the dry January as December was pretty rife with drinks but then my brother in law swung by for a bit in the afternoon on the first Saturday in January and said "wanna have a drink?" and just like that, my dry January lasted 4 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad