Speculation: Bednar's future

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If goaltending keeps being the obvious reason for losses, I don't think Sakic will fire Bednar over that.

If they go back to having poor starts, making bad passes, and taking bad penalties he could be in trouble. You have to think they need at least one win on this road trip to save his job.

That would be another five game losing streak on the heels of a six game losing streak. 1 win in 11 games. That's tough for any coach with playoff expectations to survive, even if he's not to blame.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
And why is the blame for all of this on him?
That's usually how it goes in the NHL when a team fails to meet expectations. A roster shakeup is possible too, but I think Bednar being fired is more likely.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That's usually how it goes in the NHL when a team fails to meet expectations. A roster shakeup is possible too, but I think Bednar being fired is more likely.
The avalanche are exceeding expectations. At the very least, they're meeting expectations. This team isn't a contender, and without some bad luck / goaltending lately, would be top 3 in the division.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
No coach can be completely absolved of blame for a bad season.
Sure, but I'd put more blame on Sakic and Roy in that circumstance. The roster was trash, and Roy gave zero time for Bednar to get prepared for the season. He didn't even have time to hire his staff. Obviously other factors like injuries and underperforming players added to it.

Reactions: Avs

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He does what? Deserves the blame?
Yes obviously.

PS

As @Waingro pointed out, plenty of people come in as interim coaches and do well and they have less time to prepare than he did. That excuse could’ve been used to open the season, after that he had months to change something as we plummeted.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sacco first year makes playoffs. Never makes playoffs again. Roy first year makes playoffs. Never makes playoffs again. Bednar second year makes playoffs. Current playoff status unknown but not looking good. Avs should hire a coach get into the playoffs and then fire his ass in the summer.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yes obviously.

PS

As @Waingro pointed out, plenty of people come in as interim coaches and do well and they have less time to prepare than he did. That excuse could’ve been used to open the season, after that he had months to change something as we plummeted.
I'm all for hiring a new coach, if it's going to bring some fresh ideas, and more success. I don't think Bednar deserves to be fired at this point, but if someone like Q, is interested, then I wouldn't hesitate.

Sakic and Quinneville have a relationship, and I heard Q was in Denver recently. I'm sure Sakic has spoken to him, even if just to hear what Q is thinking.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
We just outplayed the top western conference teams on a back to back night on the road. With average goaltending we would have won both games. And would not have this thread. Just wow.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Q is no miracle worker. His tendencies to favour vets drove some Chicago fans pretty nuts. He’d do the same here, especially with the lack of talent. He wouldn’t get anything more out of the Avs’ bottom nine, which is probably bottom five in the league. He couldn’t fix the lack of a #1 D. He couldn’t make Grubauer and Varly make a save. Bednar’s hardly perfect, but I’m not convinced there’s much any coach could do with some of the Avs’ roster problems. They are just inherent. At the end of last year - might have been his year end presser - Bednar said something about adding a top six forward maybe in the offseason. Got many of us excited, imagining Bednar and Sakic were on the same page. Bednar knows the problems.

The onus for this roster, it’s flaws, and it’s current struggles (the foreseeable ones — not the goalie disaster) falls 90% on Sakic in my view. All in all, I think Bednar’s doing a good job.

To make myself clear: I’d replace Joe Sakic right now before I’d replace Jared Bednar, until he gets a chance with a better roster. And no, I’m not saying Sakic should be let go (step down) right now. He gets the offseason.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Bednar is a good coach and he's doing a good job. Maybe some people need to accept the fact that this team is not quite where they want it to be. Not yet. Next draft + Makar + A move for a new goalie will change everything. No drastic changes needed.

It's funny how a bad coach and a bad goaltending situation seem to always go hand in hand :)

Reactions: BleedWell

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
[...], imagining Bednar and Sakic were on the same page. Bednar knows the problems.

I am pretty sure both would have loved to add a top 6 forward. But there wasn't a lot out in FA. And I am pretty sure, Sakic knows about the problems as well.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Q is no miracle worker. His tendencies to favour vets drove some Chicago fans pretty nuts. He’d do the same here, especially with the lack of talent. He wouldn’t get anything more out of the Avs’ bottom nine, which is probably bottom five in the league. He couldn’t fix the lack of a #1 D. He couldn’t make Grubauer and Varly make a save. Bednar’s hardly perfect, but I’m not convinced there’s much any coach could do with some of the Avs’ roster problems. They are just inherent. At the end of last year - might have been his year end presser - Bednar said something about adding a top six forward maybe in the offseason. Got many of us excited, imagining Bednar and Sakic were on the same page. Bednar knows the problems.

The onus for this roster, it’s flaws, and it’s current struggles (the foreseeable ones — not the goalie disaster) falls 90% on Sakic in my view. All in all, I think Bednar’s doing a good job.

To make myself clear: I’d replace Joe Sakic right now before I’d replace Jared Bednar, until he gets a chance with a better roster. And no, I’m not saying Sakic should be let go (step down) right now. He gets the offseason.

This is an absurd myth that needs to die. We are talking about a team that was a bunch of kids with Hossa thrown in that become a dynasty because Q helped those kids grow into superstars. This is also a team that added kids like Teravainen, DeBrincat, Kruger, Hammer, Saad and countless others and made them integral parts of their roster.

Bednar has done absolutely nothing to help the bottom 9 score more goals, the most glaring thing being his refusal to give Soderberg more offensive minutes and playing him with two guys who can't hit a side of a barn.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The avalanche are exceeding expectations. At the very least, they're meeting expectations. This team isn't a contender, and without some bad luck / goaltending lately, would be top 3 in the division.
The expectation is that this team makes the playoffs this year. Right now they are just hanging on.

Reactions: klozge

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Bednar is a good coach and he's doing a good job. Maybe some people need to accept the fact that this team is not quite where they want it to be. Not yet. Next draft + Makar + A move for a new goalie will change everything. No drastic changes needed.

It's funny how a bad coach and a bad goaltending situation seem to always go hand in hand :)
What exactly works right now? Our first line and Barrie's offense. Nothing else. Should Bednar get credit for the performance of our first line? Absolutely. He did a great job to bring all three players to a new level. He did this last year, though. He was a great 2nd year NHL coach and it would have been amazing if he had taken the next step in becoming an even better coach this season. He hasn't, though. In fact, I think he has gotten a bit worse but that's debatable. Avs are not this terrible underdog team anymore. They've beaten great teams convincingly, had lengthy winning streaks and looked good in the playoffs against Nashville. They can't win just by having a surprisingly great first line anymore. Everybody knows how great this line is now. They need a coach who's able to prepare the team for the respective opponent now, who can make the right adjustment within a game, who can come up with something to cover roster holes. He's Joe Sacco this year - hoping the things which worked one time will work forever and yelling "start the game on time!"

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I want to see what Bednar can do with a solid team, he has never had that here.

No top pairing D, we have a couple of #3 guys. The offense after the top line is a collection of 3rd and 4th liners plus AHL players. Terrible goaltending.

The roster is not impressive and Sakic did almost nothing to improve it in the summer.

The Avs are still rebuilding and that is a good thing. The team was never going to contend for a cup this season.

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The expectation is that this team makes the playoffs this year. Right now they are just hanging on.
Well yah. They've won like 3/15 games. Better now than later. We've played great the last 3-4 games, and had some bad luck. Things will pick up

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We might not have the greatest D due to the lack of a true #1, but looking at the roster we sure shouldn't be this bad defensively at times. Furthermore, defensemen aren't the only ones that should play D. Our forwards aren't doing a damn thing defensively at times. If you're not scoring at least do your job on the other end of the ice.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I bet Bednar made this face at Sakic too, when he was told Jost could be the #2 Center this year.

545319-C1-20-E5-41-CE-9014-F6-A9310-ACE47.png

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm all for change. Bring a new coach, but no more rookie coach, get someone who has NHL experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad