Speculation: Bednar's future

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think it's clear that last year was the anomaly for Bednar, because this is exactly the kind of fruitless, pointless losing that we saw the entire disaster season. The team has just underperformed too much while he's been here, there's no way he can survive 24 hours past game 82 at this point.
Last year was pretty bad for long stretches as well. That's the reason why I don't want him to be around this team anymore. He hasn't learned from the last two years. He might still become a good NHL coach some day but he needs to realize there's still a lot to learn before.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm not going to say Bednar is a great coach or that he shouldn't be fired, but even during this terrible slide the team hasn't looked nearly as bad as it did under Roy and Sacco. And it's not like our roster is that much better.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm not going to say Bednar is a great coach or that he shouldn't be fired, but even during this terrible slide the team hasn't looked nearly as bad as it did under Roy and Sacco. And it's not like our roster is that much better.
Under Sacco and Roy they had forward depth but the defense sucked with the likes of Holden, Guenin etc...now the defense is better, even if still not that good but it is better than it was back then, however the forward depth is horrible now.

It's always fix one thing another breaks with this team. Someday I'm hopping they put together a balanced team

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've always wondered if the transformation from a faster, smaller puckmoving team to a big, slow, dump-and-chase style under Sacco was at Sacco's behest or management's.

Anyway, I'll give Bednar credit for doing it his way, he's not the kind of guy who orders bag skates and he doesn't bench guys on a whim. I think the DP just posted something about this, haven't read it though. Win or lose, I think Bednar's approach to players is way better than a guy like, say, David Quinn. Some people like that old-school approach. I don't.

On a side note I just watched Rocky Balboa beat Ivan Drago on YouTube because I wanted to feel the exhilaration of a feel-good sports moment, even it's entirely fictional.

Reactions: Fixxer

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
One thing I do really enjoy Bednar's pressers. He gives some good insight and thoughtful answers. Only annoyance is when he says "that's a better question for x" where x is some player that the reporter was asking about their performance.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Unless we magically figure it out and go on a rub and make playoffs, I'd say bednars days are over after the season. We've seen this team play well in spurts and there is some talent but his mismanagement in game and of the roster just keeps happening.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
I'm fine with them moving on from Bednar et al, but again, it makes no difference if they try and go cheap once again and don't attract the best possible candidates.

Just saw the article about Ralph Krueger this morning....not sure someone who's involved with Southampton would coach an NHL team owned by a rival EPL owner in KSE...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The best coach who has yet to make it to the NHL is probably Sheldon Keefe of the Marlies. He'll be very much in demand this offseason. I know the Avs have had interest, but I don't know how serious they're going to be when it comes right down to it. He will NOT work for peanuts. I'm guessing Lindy Ruff will get another crack at this as well, though I've no idea where.

Dallas Eakins will take over in Anaheim, and I'm guessing Pascal Vincent will become the next Jets head coach. Rumor has it Benoit Groulx will be the next head coach in Ottawa, though if he has any sense he'll avoid that gig like the plague. Quenneville in Philly seems like it's pre-ordained, it's gonna be his job if he wants it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just saw the article about Ralph Krueger this morning....not sure someone who's involved with Southampton would coach an NHL team owned by a rival EPL owner in KSE...

I like Ralph, and it's ridiculous he got sacked after ONE SEASON in Edmonton, but if the Avs are dead-set on icing an up-tempo, offensively-minded team then he is absolutely not the guy they should pick. I don't blame him for staying away though--he's got way better $$$ and security where he is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal doesn't even come close to having a rivalry with Soton, Saints are a pretty insignificant team in the EPL now. If there is a team the organization and fanbase would hate it would be Boston Red Sox who own Liverpool (and the whole VvD fiasco).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs should absolutely go all-in for Coach Q. But I get the distinct impression that even if they did, he'd still say no. I don't think their mutual parting was at all amicable. He was absolutely right to do so though.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
No rookie coaches. Enough of this arrogant garbage.

You pay Coach Q what he wants to come down from the mountains and make this team a perennial contender.

His ex-Captain running this team needs to talk to him and make it happen.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All the focus lately has been on what happens if they miss the playoffs but now that they're back in a playoff spot, what happens if they make it? They're probably not going to let him go into the last year of his contract and I imagine he'd get more than just the one year extension he got this past summer. How long do we think his extension will be?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
All the focus lately has been on what happens if they miss the playoffs but now that they're back in a playoff spot, what happens if they make it? They're probably not going to let him go into the last year of his contract and I imagine he'd get more than just the one year extension he got this past summer. How long do we think his extension will be?

He won’t get fired if we make it. Still don’t think he’s the answer long term but he should get next season if we get in.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's going to be tough for me. On the one hand, I really, really want to make the playoffs, but that also means Bednar will definitely keep his job.

Reactions: klozge

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He won’t get fired if we make it. Still don’t think he’s the answer long term but he should get next season if we get in.

They gave him a one year extension last summer because you don't want a lame duck coach in the last year of his contract so I'd guess he gets more than that this time if they get in the playoffs again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad