Confirmed with Link: Bedard out with fractured jaw, Foligno with fractured finger - UPDATE Bedard appears to be back!

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
In addition, there was Ben Smith, who was never te same after getting injured by Brendan Smith (then a Red Wing) in a pre-season and ended up getting traded to SJ. That's now three bodies on that one MFer. NJ's post-game specifically interviewed Brendan Smith because they were so proud of him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
In addition, there was Ben Smith, who was never te same after getting injured by Brendan Smith (then a Red Wing) in a pre-season and ended up getting traded to SJ. That's now three bodies on that one MFer. NJ's post-game specifically interviewed Brendan Smith because they were so proud of him.
B. Smith on B. Smith crime. But that hit occurred in the preseason before the 2011-12 season. Ben Smith played 231 out of his career 237 NHL games after that, which is really good for a 6th round pick. So I dunno if I'd say the Brendan Smith ruined him necessarily.

Looked Ben Smith up and was surprised to see that he's still active, playing in the German League at 35 years of age. I remember when he made the roster noting that he was the guy who when you listed the ages chronically would appear sandwiched between Toews (April of '88) and Kane (November of '88) with Smith being July of '88 birth. Must be a real love of the game kinda guy.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
B. Smith on B. Smith crime. But that hit occurred in the preseason before the 2011-12 season. Ben Smith played 231 out of his career 237 NHL games after that, which is really good for a 6th round pick. So I dunno if I'd say the Brendan Smith ruined him necessarily.

Nah, that injury by Brendan Smith was in 2015 pre-season, IIRC. The previous regular season, Ben Smith just scored 14 goals on the 4th line, finally holding down a roster spot. He scored a number of goals in the 2014 post-season too, including in that seesaw series v. the Kings. He first burst onto the scene back in the 2011 post-season by scoring two goals in a single playoff game against Luongo. He wasn't afraid of going to the net.

Reactions: Pez68

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Nah, that injury by Brendan Smith was in 2015 pre-season, IIRC. The previous regular season, Ben Smith just scored 14 goals on the 4th line, finally holding down a roster spot. He scored a number of goals in the 2014 post-season too, including in that seesaw series v. the Kings. He first burst onto the scene back in the 2011 post-season by scoring two goals in a single playoff game against Luongo. He wasn't afraid of going to the net.
It was in 2011. He got three preseason games and five regular season games.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Brendan Smith got suspended two games for slashing on December first last month and got fined his first game back so he's far from an angel.

But he did nothing wrong in that game against Chicago. He barely even stepped up into Bedard. Foligno broke a finger on his face. Hockey happens. Life gets lifey.

Ben Smith put together stretches after getting his head destroyed by Brendan but he was never really the same guy after the Brendan hit.

I really liked Ben. He was a Swiss army knife player and the Hawks sent him out for a player appearance PR thing to Reilly's Daughter and I showed up after work to a bar with like six people in it. He was drinking a draft beer and incredibly friendly for a guy sent out for work that people didn't care about.

I can remember shit like this but struggle with my girlfriend's birthday. Life eh?

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Don't consider that as a hit, collision mostly.

I have said it before and will say it again I would take that kind a hit away from the game. It always hits the head and one or both are going full speed when it happens. Someone will die for that. This game is not the same as it was in the 70's, it has too much speed for hits like that. I for one rather watch today's game than 70's.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I have said it before and will say it again I would take that kind a hit away from the game. It always hits the head and one or both are going full speed when it happens. Someone will die for that. This game is not the same as it was in the 70's, it has too much speed for hits like that. I for one rather watch today's game than 70's.
You penalize Brendan for that hockey becomes a no check league.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

lol

Reactions: Pez68

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Collisions are part of the game, and injuries sometimes come about from routine plays. We all wish it didn't happen, but an injury is not a sign of intent.

Smith owes Bedard a six pack when he turns 21.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Smith hit is hockey 101. He stepped up and leveled Connor. Best he learns on an excuse me check instead of somebody looking to scramble his brain.

Honestly, he didn't even level him. He could have destroyed him if he wanted to. Collisions like that happen all the time, even in beer league. Smith was basically just standing still and Bedard ran into him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Collisions are part of the game, and injuries sometimes come about from routine plays. We all wish it didn't happen, but an injury is not a sign of intent.

Smith owes Bedard a six pack when he turns 21.
He can give it to him in the summer when he turns 19 and he's back home.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Can we sign Phil Kessel and only have him play home games so he doesn’t have to fly?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
this site needs a crying emoji :(
I’m partial to this

1704903671507.gif

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Absolutely awful. Seems that fracture was worse than many thought. Hope for a speedy recovery. Tough year for the kids (Bedard, Korchinski)

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My hot take - not a big deal. Gets Bedard out of a situation where he'd be exposed to endless losing, and his injury will absolutely not impact his on-ice performance long term. Obviously sucks for us fans because it's going to be a LONG 2 months, but that's the life of a Hawks fan. Calder trophy would have been nice - but that's still a possibility with no one really lighting it up.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad