Confirmed with Link: Bedard out with fractured jaw, Foligno with fractured finger - UPDATE Bedard appears to be back!

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
My hot take - not a big deal. Gets Bedard out of a situation where he'd be exposed to endless losing, and his injury will absolutely not impact his on-ice performance long term. Obviously sucks for us fans because it's going to be a LONG 2 months, but that's the life of a Hawks fan. Calder trophy would have been nice - but that's still a possibility with no one really lighting it up.

Brock Faber's gonna win now ;)

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
2 months without Bedard :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:.

I haven't watched either game since he's been out but they seem to be holding their own, somehow?

With that terrible roster.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Between this news and the Bears I may need to take a break from sports for a while.
The defense was really good once they got Sweat, and that's Eberflus's bread and butter, and he also became the defensive coordinator after that other guy.. well yeah. I'm ok with it, just can't botch the OC hire again.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'll believe it's at least six weeks when he's not back after six weeks.

Guys come back early from injury all the time. Still think he could return right after the All Star break.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'll believe it's at least six weeks when he's not back after six weeks.

Guys come back early from injury all the time. Still think he could return right after the All Star break.

My guess is he's probably in attendance at all star weekend, anyways. Maybe even does the skills competition? Four weeks after the injury I'm sure he'd be able to skate and do things normally, they just won't want him taking contact. Hell, it's possible he even plays in it with a full cage maybe? Dunno. Have to see reports on his progress over the next few weeks.

Sucks for the kid, though. I imagine surgery probably means he's eating through a straw for a few weeks.

Edit: Doing some research, he probably had a pretty severe fracture to require surgery, and he may need the jaw wired for the entirety of it healing, AND it's a liquid diet until it's healed. :(

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
My guess is he's probably in attendance at all star weekend, anyways. Maybe even does the skills competition? Four weeks after the injury I'm sure he'd be able to skate and do things normally, they just won't want him taking contact. Hell, it's possible he even plays in it with a full cage maybe? Dunno. Have to see reports on his progress over the next few weeks.

Sucks for the kid, though. I imagine surgery probably means he's eating through a straw for a few weeks.

Edit: Doing some research, he probably had a pretty severe fracture to require surgery, and he may need the jaw wired for the entirety of it healing, AND it's a liquid diet until it's healed. :(
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a liquid diet. Richardson mentioned today that he helped the team's nutritionist unload Bedard's "meals" to his apartment.

I think, if there wasn't a question about his nutrition, he'd almost certainly still participate in the All Star Competition. As it is, I don't know.

I am looking forward to see the kid rocking a full cage when he returns. Last time he wore one, he was wiping other countries off the map at the WJC.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

The fact he had surgery definitely means it's wired shut for 6 weeks, and he's on a liquid diet. He's not going to be doing much but skating and working out until the wires come out.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I looked at Crosbys game logs from 2013 when he had a similar injury although I think his was worse. He got hurt March 30th and was back for the playoffs May 3rd.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I looked at Crosbys game logs from 2013 when he had a similar injury although I think his was worse. He got hurt March 30th and was back for the playoffs May 3rd.
Just over a month. That's kinda what I'm predicting here, but figuring Hawks are taking a cautious approach regarding the timeline.

The first game back from the All Star break will be a little over a month since his injury, so I think it's very possible he's back at that point.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
My hot take - not a big deal. Gets Bedard out of a situation where he'd be exposed to endless losing, and his injury will absolutely not impact his on-ice performance long term. Obviously sucks for us fans because it's going to be a LONG 2 months, but that's the life of a Hawks fan. Calder trophy would have been nice - but that's still a possibility with no one really lighting it up.
I disagree. He'll lose more in development by missing 6-8 weeks and then having to get back in game shape than he would gain in by not having to experience losing in bunches as a rookie.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Just over a month. That's kinda what I'm predicting here, but figuring Hawks are taking a cautious approach regarding the timeline.

The first game back from the All Star break will be a little over a month since his injury, so I think it's very possible he's back at that point.

I don't think you're looking at the full recovery time. He's going to have to get back into game shape once he's cleared. That could add at least another week. Also, keep in mind that with this injury he might be eating out of a straw for a bit. Might lose some weight and muscle.

Reactions: Pez68

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don't think you're looking at the full recovery time. He's going to have to get back into game shape once he's cleared. That could add at least another week. Also, keep in mind that with this injury he might be eating out of a straw for a bit. Might lose some weight and muscle.
don’t think eating out of a straw matters when you have dietitians

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am fine with letting him sit the full 8 weeks. To assist us sucking for the draft.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I disagree. He'll lose more in development by missing 6-8 weeks and then having to get back in game shape than he would gain in by not having to experience losing in bunches as a rookie.
So he's missing 15'ish or so games. He's still going to play in 60-65 games, and I think he know what he needs to work on.

Not saying that it's a positive, just that it's not a big deal in the long term.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think somewhere between 20-25 games is more likely than 15ish.
There's 3 weeks left in January and 4 weeks in February. That puts him at 7 weeks out from here. There are 18 games in those 7 weeks. If he's not back before then, he likely misses those 18, but I'd put money on him being back by the first week in march. I would say 20 is the absolute top number he misses, with it falling somewhere between 15-20.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So he's missing 15'ish or so games. He's still going to play in 60-65 games, and I think he know what he needs to work on.

Not saying that it's a positive, just that it's not a big deal in the long term.
Bedard plays big minutes against top opposition. A rookie playing 60+ games in an 82-game schedule is not so bad in that circumstance. Some playoff experience would obviously be nice but the games in late February and March will be approaching that intensity for some teams fighting for a PO berth.

Also, Luke hinted that the estimate may be a bit high depending on how he heals.... hence 15 - 18 games out of the line-up seems possible. Knowing Bedard he will keep his body in top shape, will be observing closely and he return with a better understanding of what he can get away with in the NHL.

Last edited:

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
March is probably our easiest month schedule wise too.

FE021A94-9725-49C7-9F37-2464A135EFF2.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad