Becky Lynch Thread

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The official WWE Youtube channel video for the Smackdown women invasion has over 5,5 million views which is way more than any other video that I can remember on their channel.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
I think @M.C.G. 31 is 100% correct that this follows DB pretty closely. Becky was almost the forgotten "horsewoman" and the fans, since she came up from NXT, keep saying "Ummm push Becky." Then WWE wouldn't and they'd focus on everyone else. The fans would STILL cheer Becky and want her pushed. So WWE, as they always do, ignored the fans and continued their way.

Then finally the Flair/Becky rival starts and WWE tried to make Flair the babyface and Becky the heel. And this is the first time I can ever recall the WWE stopped and listened to their fans in recent history. They stopped the heel turn and are now presenting her as a bad ass face. If they would have put the title on Flair and ignored Becky, it would have almost been identical to DB.

I feel like this same type of rise could be easily pulled off with Finn, Sasha, even Bayley. It's insane how much talented people are overlooked in WWE.

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Becky/Charlotte thing is almost the exact same thing they tried with Sasha and Bayley, the difference being that they weren't actually fighting over anything and abandoned the feud when they got the wrong reaction to a poorly built turn. At least they learned this time to go with Becky, whereas on Raw there isn't that luxury.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I just watched the Youtube video of the Smackdown women invading Raw again and WWE cuts the picture to black and white about halfway through it, likely due to the blood. I mean, I get it, but it kind of sanitizes the moment.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel like this same type of rise could be easily pulled off with Finn, Sasha, even Bayley. It's insane how much talented people are overlooked in WWE.

There was also an internet meltdown when Christian won the title and lost it at a Smackdown taping Tuesday night to Orton right after his big moment. That meltdown was probably just as big, but the crowd wasn't into taking over just yet. I think the DB thing was years and years and years worth of frustration with MANY wrestlers culminating with the absolute frustration of how DB was handled. Then the crowd finally gave up. I also think the Punk pipebomb and the "reality era" opened the door for fans to break the 4th wall as well.

Nonetheless, it's official. Fans are no longer going to just sit back every single time. Luckily WWE jumped on board with this one.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Something I'll throw out there.

Vince has always held to the idea that house shows are the best way to gauge the heat of the industry. Right now WWE are barely breaking even on house shows, and huge portions of the arena are tarped off during televised events. He knows that the WWE is not doing a good job with the fans, regardless of what he might say to advertisers.

Yes there is the Roman thing (he does move the most merch), but outside of that I'm not sure that Vince is interested in fighting the fans anymore. He's been going against what they want for a long time, and it's no longer working at this point. You can point to the Cena era, but WWE made way more money every time that Cena was on the card, it made sense for them to keep pushing him. There isn't that guy right now, and fighting the fans is just a losing battle.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
I was super excited to see the new Becky, not in a pervy way but in a character development way. Ive been a wrestling fan for a long time and my interest has been waning for awhile so I was really into the angle they were doing with her. Hopefully she gets healthy and we see Rousey vs Becky at mania.

Reactions: KIRK

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That day of video really catches, like, everything. She feels fine, everyone talking to her, she’s worried, she’s mad, she’s upset, frustrated, in denial of what she thinks, looks like she was crying at one point. That needs to be part of the video package when they do the match.

I wouldn’t really hate it if in order to bridge that far of a gap they just kept her off until the Rumble. Who knows how bad that concussion is. And who knows if feuding with someone else just because you need to pass time will keep her as hot.

With that said, I’m of the opinion that the crowds won’t let the build not be hot, and if they managed to do this with just 2 weeks build, they’ll do just fine.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was super excited to see the new Becky, not in a pervy way but in a character development way. Ive been a wrestling fan for a long time and my interest has been waning for awhile so I was really into the angle they were doing with her. Hopefully she gets healthy and we see Rousey vs Becky at mania.

Lmao, why would being excited to see the new Becky be pervy.

Now I think you are pervy :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It absolutely could. For every Becky, Vince misses the boat on like 10 other people who are super hot and just need the booking.

Honestly even in this situation I was still worried Sunday would be the start of sabotaging Becky because god forbid she got one over on golden girl Ronnie.

This was one of those DB moments where crowd frustration boiled over, and luckily this all happened on Smackdown, because she doesn’t get this push on RAW over Ronnie. Vince has his pet projects on RAW and everyone is stuck no matter how over they get.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Like Emp just said, I totally believe this era could be better and have more stars than the attitude era, if they just let stars be stars and push it right. Women are better than any women wrestlers before. Men are doing things unthinkable in the ring.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Like Emp just said, I totally believe this era could be better and have more stars than the attitude era, if they just let stars be stars and push it right. Women are better than any women wrestlers before. Men are doing things unthinkable in the ring.

I firmly believed they had the talent without Ronda to book a women’s main event st Mania and it would be really hype.

As happy as I am for Becky and how much I enjoy it, I can’t just put my frustration aside with how badly they keep wasting talent and the wasted potential of the product. With basic booking WWE would be cant miss TV.

Instead we have the company that somehow turned AJ Styles into a mid card act.

I also can’t give them tons of credit because they fought against this Becky push as hard as they could. They didn’t turn her heel to get her over. They turned her heel to get Charlotte over and it back fired in spectacular fashion.

In a weird way Jax being an unsafe doofus may have pushed Becky even further and now sets up the correct Mania match instead of Ronda/Charlotte.

Now for the love of god do something with Asuka and Sasha.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I would like to see Becky get revenge on Nia without stepping in the ring because she would probably injure Becky again.

The best way they could script this is have an "unknown somebody" attack Nia backstage putting the Raw team down a woman with no replacement. Near the end of the match have Raw losing and down to Rousey. Rousey clears house eliminating everyone but Charlotte then Nia's music hits... And it's Becky with her title.

The distraction costs Rousey the match and Becky comes down to celebrate with Charlotte then clocks her with the belt and leaves.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you assailed Nia backstage, I wouldn't hide that, I'd make it known immediately that it was Becky. Crowd will react enormously to that. No need to overbook Ronda, and they're not going to book an angle that overshadows the result. You've set up the next program for Becky after she wins the Rumble.

They're also not going to let her do anything physical if she's not cleared.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The best way they could script this is have an "unknown somebody" attack Nia backstage putting the Raw team down a woman with no replacement. Near the end of the match have Raw losing and down to Rousey. Rousey clears house eliminating everyone but Charlotte then Nia's music hits... And it's Becky with her title.

The distraction costs Rousey the match and Becky comes down to celebrate with Charlotte then clocks her with the belt and leaves.

The problem with that is they're in their own match and not the in the women's Survivor Series match. ;) But as I posted in the SSS thread, Becky could still distract Rousey by coming on to the stage or ringside. Rousey could lose but this would mean it's not clean, sort of. Let Charlotte hit her with a chair as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know Vince/WWE doesn't like to pay for licensed music but if Becky vs Ronda at Mania happens, then they should fork out the money for either this:

or this:

I think the lyrics on the former fit better for Becky and they used the Cash song for Undertaker already.

Feb 24, 2017
I know Vince/WWE doesn't like to pay for licensed music but if Becky vs Ronda at Mania happens, then they should fork out the money for either this:

or this:

I think the lyrics on the former fit better for Becky and they used the Cash song for Undertaker already.

I saw the killers last year in a small venue. Awesome show.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If you assailed Nia backstage, I wouldn't hide that, I'd make it known immediately that it was Becky. Crowd will react enormously to that. No need to overbook Ronda, and they're not going to book an angle that overshadows the result. You've set up the next program for Becky after she wins the Rumble.

They're also not going to let her do anything physical if she's not cleared.
Agreed. Reminds me of Austin in the Invasion thing, he rolls up in the truck and beats the bejesus out of everyone backstage and then storms the ring to the loudest pop I have ever heard.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad