OT: Bears & NFL Talk 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The only thing I'd say is this.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the Bears ripped the roster part in his first year. Khalil Mack, Quin and Roquan Smith all dumped. They were tanking on purpose. They wanted to be bad.

So now I see people (not your post here) citing their record in 2 years. The 14 game losing streak.

It's kind of a ridiculous take to have IMO. They were bad on purpose and to me I'm surprised they got better as fast as they did. Yes maybe its a bit of fool's gold from the weak schedule.

But what did you all seriously expect a year out from ripping the roster apart?
Agreed, but those fourth quarter collapses…

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
lol at poles saying that passing on cj for the trade down was still the better option for the team...theres a world where they have two first round picks outside the top 5 and are forced into penix/jj/bo nix territory and he's completely f***ed...he lucked into this 1st overall, again

Reactions: Idionym

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Well, one of Penix and McCarthy. Not both, and not Nix.
actually kind of took it not as having 4 first round grades on guys but possibly having the conversation be how would the OC coach fields, caleb, maye and jayden daniels...if fields isnt in that 4 then they're done with him and penix is the 4th probably but he's not even top 5 in most mocks so its hard to conceive him going 1 unless they move down again

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Really tough to not over analyze everything in these press conference. A bunch of nothing answers. There is a ton they just won’t say.

Like the Stroud thing is overblown. I think he’s absolutely trading all that if that means you have a franchise guy.

I do find it really interesting because that Poles would willingly hitch his wagon to Flus like this but whatever.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
that 4 qb follow up Q did trip him up so maybe he did mean 4 first round grades, not that it should really matter, almost everybody has 4-5 with 3 going top 4-6 probably

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Would be really happy with this move.

Waldren, I think Seahawk fans expected more creativity in the play callling since he came from McVay, but the Hawks offence still ran very much the same with him as they did with Schotty and Bevell. A little more middle of the field was worked once Russ left and Geno who is 6'2 and can see over the middle, did that.

Would be interesting to see if Waldren was shackled by Pete Carroll or not. Cause you just never know.

lol at poles saying that passing on cj for the trade down was still the better option for the team...theres a world where they have two first round picks outside the top 5 and are forced into penix/jj/bo nix territory and he's completely f***ed...he lucked into this 1st overall, again
Fields, they had hope last season, so I would say he should have said, we felt good about our QB and felt that adding Moore was going to help Fields, plus adding the extra picks would allow the team to build up the roster.

No one had Stroud to be this good. Nothing wrong in admitting that IMO.

But, I guess an answer like that prompts more questions on Fields that he didn't want to answer.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So, Belichick to either the Chargers or Seahawks, right?

Chargers make most sense IMO

QB in place and Chargers would likely want to make big splash to get attention since they are near bottom of LA sports scene.

Of course, Spanos would have to open his wallet.

Seahawks QB situation isn't ideal for him with Geno soon to be 34 and rather pedestrian.

Belicheck. Saban and Carroll are all in their early 70s. Retire. Do some easy one day a week analyst work for a big check and hang out on the boat like Jimmie Johnson

Belicheck wants the win record

He isn't retiring until he gets it

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Kliff Kingsbury for OC. Do it. Don't care if it telegraphs their decision. Has HC experience if worst case scenario or best case scenario happens (can promote him and dump Flus)

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I think OCs are generally blamed more than players because they are easier to change, but what he was able to do with Geno was pretty incredible.
I've said that OCs are probably the most hated of all NFL positions or coaches. They call 60-75 plays a game and every armchair QB in the nation screams at him if he doesn't call what they want. OC takes the blame when plays don't work, doesn't matter that some player blew an assignment. It was a dumb play. ......and this happens all game long, 60+ times, every Sunday for 17 weeks. Head coaches and defensive coaches don't suffer anything close to the scrutiny that an OC does on a regular basis.

Reactions: ClydeLee and TLEH

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't think the Rams is a good matchup for the Lions at all. Basing it entirely on their games against the Bears, Goff was seeing ghosts because of pressure, and the Rams are MUCH better at generating pressure than the Bears are.

The only thing I'd say is this.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the Bears ripped the roster part in his first year. Khalil Mack, Quin and Roquan Smith all dumped. They were tanking on purpose. They wanted to be bad.

So now I see people (not your post here) citing their record in 2 years. The 14 game losing streak.

It's kind of a ridiculous take to have IMO. They were bad on purpose and to me I'm surprised they got better as fast as they did. Yes maybe its a bit of fool's gold from the weak schedule.

But what did you all seriously expect a year out from ripping the roster apart?
I'm not as out on Eberflus as some. I worry that he needs a great 3T for him system to work, and if he doesn't have that I think he needs to be a lot more on with blitzing than he has been, because good QBs with good lines pick that zone defense apart (again, except Goff for whatever reason).

Next year is big. I don't know where the team would get a 3T from (unless they splash for Chris Jones, which actually could happen), and the defense getting picked apart by good offenses would be a bad look for both Eberflus and Poles.

Then again, as I noted after the press conference, I don't think Eberflus is as dead set on calling the defense as it was reported earlier.

Reactions: Sarava

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rams are also hot right now

Winners of 7 of last 8 games and rolling into playoffs relatively healthy

I got Rams winning because of that + I am still not sold on Lions the D is not good and Stafford can rip it apart potentially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad