OT: Bears & NFL Talk 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
3pm press conference, for the record. I can't imagine anything interesting coming out of it, but I hope someone asks the question why anyone should have any faith in a HC who has had 7 coaches under him let go in his second year on the job.
The only people more gutless than this organization are the people covering it, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Matt Eberflus defense played a top 16 offense 7 times:

Where they ranked those particular weeks in EPA/Play:
28th, 26th, 30th, 14th. 21st, 9th, 31st
If you really like Eberflus the person and think the locker room is held together by him, fine, whatever. I can't speak to that.

But what possible motivation do you have to let him retain play calling duties? His play call is to drop back into cover and hope the front 4 pressures the QB. He changed into blitzing for a few games until he got burned in the Browns game, and then went back to the same thing again.

Drop into cover. Dare the QB to beat you. Every good QB except Goff and Murray did.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If you really like Eberflus the person and think the locker room is held together by him, fine, whatever. I can't speak to that.

But what possible motivation do you have to let him retain play calling duties? His play call is to drop back into cover and hope the front 4 pressures the QB. He changed into blitzing for a few games until he got burned in the Browns game, and then went back to the same thing again.

Drop into cover. Dare the QB to beat you. Every good QB except Goff and Murray did.
The only thing I'd say is this.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the Bears ripped the roster part in his first year. Khalil Mack, Quin and Roquan Smith all dumped. They were tanking on purpose. They wanted to be bad.

So now I see people (not your post here) citing their record in 2 years. The 14 game losing streak.

It's kind of a ridiculous take to have IMO. They were bad on purpose and to me I'm surprised they got better as fast as they did. Yes maybe its a bit of fool's gold from the weak schedule.

But what did you all seriously expect a year out from ripping the roster apart?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The only thing I'd say is this.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the Bears ripped the roster part in his first year. Khalil Mack, Quin and Roquan Smith all dumped. They were tanking on purpose. They wanted to be bad.

So now I see people (not your post here) citing their record in 2 years. The 14 game losing streak.

It's kind of a ridiculous take to have IMO. They were bad on purpose and to me I'm surprised they got better as fast as they did. Yes maybe its a bit of fool's gold from the weak schedule.

But what did you all seriously expect a year out from ripping the roster apart?
Its less about the fact that Flus might be good. Maybe he is a decent HQ eventually. He should be a victim of the circumstance. He isn't like some homerun hire. We have the 1.01 and are most likely going to have a new QB. What makes Flus so important that he should be staying? He wasn't put in a great position year 1. He certainly didn't show me that he was some superstar in year 2.

Reactions: Pez68 and ClydeLee

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

That blitz against Cleveland when he dropped Justin jones into coverage was f***ing brutal.
That’s a guy who wrote some shit up and said hey look at this.

Reactions: Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Lol this press conference.

Justin Fields has taken huge steps passing the football.
Luke Getsy is fired because we didn't improve the passing game enough.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
worst passing qb in the league over a 40 game sample, it makes no sense...if they keep him though hire ken dorsey because you want fields to be josh allen light with the qb run game and walmart josh allen is probably base case for fields...there could be some posturing too about fields because they want to up his trade value

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
can the bears just move to the suburbs and we get a new afc team at soldier field...give us a business person like bezos with infinite money and balls to make tough decisions...at least we'd have a choice, mccaskeys are just clueless if they think flus is worth keeping because he stopped a losing streak at 14 instead of 21

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
3 years of nonstop excuses for Fields from the fanbase and media.

Where is this extreme pressure on quarterbacks in the Chicago market we hear so much about? Pick the best passing cream puff you can find.
No pressure at all. People are so desperate it’s embarrassing. Like watching older men hit on younger ladies. Thinking there’s a chance.

Reactions: Pez68 and Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No pressure at all. People are so desperate it’s embarrassing. Like watching older men hit on younger ladies. Thinking there’s a chance.
Every game the Bears have won, and many where they haven't, and Fields has put up 300 yards passing+rushing, all the Chicago sports media have annointed him the future franchise QB.

Seriously, is it just an attempt by the Chicago sports media to pat themselves on the back and feel tough?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Every game the Bears have won, and many where they haven't, and Fields has put up 300 yards passing+rushing, all the Chicago sports media have annointed him the future franchise QB.

Seriously, is it just an attempt by the Chicago sports media to pat themselves on the back and feel tough?
It’s just media speak. Want to proclaim/be first. Bears media is still gonna be beholden to the team itself.

ESPN is reporting Nick Saban to retire.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The one of this press conference is so odd. You just fired 7 coaches and played a soft ass schedule and didn't win shit. Why does it sound so congratulatory?

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Bears are one of the 7 richest franchises on the planet with more $ than any European futbol team. The fact they've never gone out and signed a big FA QB such as Lamar is disgraceful.

There are some great HC candidates out there such as Harbaugh, Quinn, and Vrabel so we know the Bears won't hire one of them.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The one of this press conference is so odd. You just fired 7 coaches and played a soft ass schedule and didn't win shit. Why does it sound so congratulatory?
their 14 game losing streak didn't extend into 20+ games...Poles will be shit canned next year for buying into the mirage that is the 5 wins in 7 games or whatever it was

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Actual interesting parts out of the conference:

Poles' accidentally revealing there are 4 quarterbacks they seem to have first round grades on. Not super interesting for Bears fans, but interesting nonetheless.

It didn't sound like Eberflus was married to the idea of calling defensive plays. I actually liked hearing that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Actual interesting parts out of the conference:

Poles' accidentally revealing there are 4 quarterbacks they seem to have first round grades on. Not super interesting for Bears fans, but interesting nonetheless.

It didn't sound like Eberflus was married to the idea of calling defensive plays. I actually liked hearing that.
thats consensus - caleb, maye, jayden and penix

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
how is the first question of this conference to poles about passing on stroud/young last year and made in a positive light lol...passing up on stroud is a major major f*** up and debatably stroud had better 2 year numbers as a starter than anybody in this class...85 and 12 as a 2 year starter playing against elite competition, 350 4 0 against georgia in the cfp last year...nothing anybody in this class has done, but yeah great decision to keep fields and see his progress from bottom of league to bottom of league as a passer

first question should've been what didn't you see in stroud last year and how do you get this decision right this year but chicago beat writers are clowns

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
All of the teams in town are a joke.
Bears, Bulls, Sox and Cubs are not interested in winning championships. Maybe the Hawks but we'll see what they can build around Bedard. The other 4 should have zero fans left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad