OT: Bears & NFL Talk 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Eberflus officially returning, per Schefter. Hitching their wagon to a defensive minded HC that has beaten one quality QB in 2 full seasons.

Getsy gone, assuming that means Fields is gone. Can't imagine trying to get Fields to learn a third playbook in year 4.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
You can't draft Williams if you're bringing Flus back.
Not sure I necessarily agree. Seems if you're bringing in a rookie QB, there should be some stability already present within the locker room. If you have both rookie coach and QB, a whole new foundation needs to be built. What Houston pulled off this year with Ryans and Stroud was of historic proportions. I'd be interested in knowing just how often a rookie coach and QB have been successful.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Not sure I necessarily agree. Seems if you're bringing in a rookie QB, there should be some stability already present within the locker room. If you have both rookie coach and QB, a whole new foundation needs to be built. What Houston pulled off this year with Ryans and Stroud was of historic proportions. I'd be interested in knowing just how often a rookie coach and QB have been successful.
See Trubisky and Fields

Draft a QB, hire a new OC, then fire Flus after next season. Then new offense again. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: belfour30

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
They are going to make an organization altering decision with a rent a coach so that they save a few bucks.

Would have been the most attractive job opening in the league with 2 top 10 picks including the number 1 overall. Job will never be more attractive.

Plus you had a successful NFL and college HC there for the taking, not to mention who is a former QB who played for the organization.

Da Bears.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think bringing Eberflus back is dumb as shit, and barring a complete difference maker adding to the defensive line, I think that will show next year going up against much better offenses than this year.

But I think panicking over what OC is going to want to join a team with a lame duck HC is overreacting. That OC should still be joining a team with one of the most promising rookie QBs in years, a WR1, potentially another offensive weapon with a top 10 pick in the draft, a TE1, and a decent O-line that should have fixed its problem at C. What better way to make a name for yourself?

Though I should note that I would feel a lot more certain about this if Poles had just made the obvious decision and fired a coach with the two seasons Eberflus just had. For all I know he'll bring back Lucas Patrick and point to "stability".

Reactions: Idionym

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If you draft Caleb at #1, he better be a lot better than Fields and Trubisky. If he’s not, then we’re screwed either way.
Strong argument to be made that a great QB can be great regardless of coaching changes. Justin Herbert is getting his third head coach next season, and that hasn't stopped him.

It's disappointing to be sitting here hoping that the next QB can work miracles despite the retained head coach though.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Getsy gone, Flus is staying is such a Chicago Bears move. Bears have a DC masquerading as a HC, and OC/DC combo that is likely not to be good. A likely a rookie QB.

So, the Bears seem to be punting on 2024. That's certainly bold strategy.

So Green Bay is the biggers of this decision. Can the Bears ever get out of their own way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Who the f**k is gonna want to be a OC or DC for a lame duck coach?
Bieniemy just signed to be the OC for the Commies last year, and he was up with the biggest names for OCs.

Only so many positions in the league. Chicago is far from the worst option.

DC is a good question. What's the appeal there, if Flus is gonna call plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad