Bears and NFL Talk LXVI - Tottenham-bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Except its not guaranteed at all because if he gets suspended for something he doesn't get paid for that. If it was, Rappaport would have said he has $24.5 million guaranteed, he didn't. Also that second bolded part is kind of the point right? The Steelers are giving him the ball 400 times a year, there's no guarantee he's healthy after the 2018 season. Look at Earl Thomas who just played, broke his leg and missed almost the entire season and now won't get what he would have received pre-injury.

We still don't know if any of it is true, anyways. None of the details have ever been released by either side, right?

This is all based on speculation. To me, the speculated deal was the better deal. But I understand why some would argue from the other side.

BTW, I highly doubt they offered him a deal without the first year being fully guaranteed. Pretty sure the Steelers always guarantee year one, but conditionally guarantee years after that...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
We still don't know if any of it is true, anyways. None of the details have ever been released by either side, right?

This is all based on speculation. To me, the speculated deal was the better deal. But I understand why some would argue from the other side.

BTW, I highly doubt they offered him a deal without the first year being fully guaranteed. Pretty sure the Steelers always guarantee year one, but conditionally guarantee years after that...

The primary reason he's sitting: Bell's $70 million offer from Pittsburgh over the summer contained $17 million in guarantees. That wasn't enough when Todd Gurley and David Johnson received between $31 million and $45 million in guarantees. Bell called the Steelers' $70 million "Monopoly money."

"It sucks having to sit out football," Bell said by telephone from South Florida on Monday. "I want to play. I want to win games and the playoffs.
"But I've gotta take this stand. Knowing my worth and knowing I can tear a ligament or get surgery at any time, I knew I couldn't play 16 games with 400 or more touches."

Source: Steelers' Bell to report during Weeks 7-8

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The primary reason he's sitting: Bell's $70 million offer from Pittsburgh over the summer contained $17 million in guarantees. That wasn't enough when Todd Gurley and David Johnson received between $31 million and $45 million in guarantees. Bell called the Steelers' $70 million "Monopoly money."

"It sucks having to sit out football," Bell said by telephone from South Florida on Monday. "I want to play. I want to win games and the playoffs.
"But I've gotta take this stand. Knowing my worth and knowing I can tear a ligament or get surgery at any time, I knew I couldn't play 16 games with 400 or more touches."

Source: Steelers' Bell to report during Weeks 7-8

Again, is this not just speculation? I didn't think anything was ever 100% confirmed and released by either the Steelers or Bell...

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He would have earned 24.5m in the first year, had he gotten hurt prior to year 2. That's still a lot of guaranteed money, no? And as long as he doesn't get a season-ending injury, and is healthy as of March 1st, he would have another 13.5m guaranteed coming his way.

It is, though.

If he were to be healthy March 1st, and blow out his knee March 2nd while at the gym, and not play at all in 2019, he wouldn't lose that 13.5m.
Not sure where you are getting the 24.5 million number from, it was 12.5...

$12 million base
$2.5 million prorated bonus

Analyzing the rejected contract offer from the Steelers to Le’Veon Bell

Right, he wouldn't lose that next 13.5 million in 2019, but the point is that if he signed the deal in the summer of 2018, he needs to go a full NFL season without hurting himself to get that 13.5 million in March 2019. That's just simply not guaranteed money the way NFL players/agents look at it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not sure where you are getting the 24.5 million number from, it was 12.5...

$12 million base
$2.5 million prorated bonus

Analyzing the rejected contract offer from the Steelers to Le’Veon Bell

Right, he wouldn't lose that next 13.5 million in 2019, but the point is that if he signed the deal in the summer of 2018, he needs to go a full NFL season without hurting himself to get that 13.5 million in March 2019. That's just simply not guaranteed money the way NFL players/agents look at it.

Is the 2.5m prorated bonus the signing bonus?

I thought I read that he would be getting 10m guaranteed signing bonus year one, plus his 12m base.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Thats literally a quote from Bell

Nothing in the quote states what you're arguing, though. The quote you posted talks about him calling it "monopoly money" and then "It sucks having to sit out football," Bell said by telephone from South Florida on Monday. "I want to play. I want to win games and the playoffs.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

I thought I read that he would be getting 10m guaranteed signing bonus year one, plus his 12m base.
I have no idea but that's the best breakdown I've seen of it.

Regardless, it's at minimum a difference of $10 million guaranteed, which is massive.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

The 2.5 prorated bonus is the 10 mil over 5 years. If they cut him it accelerates though.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Nothing in the quote states what you're arguing, though. The quote you posted talks about him calling it "monopoly money" and then "It sucks having to sit out football," Bell said by telephone from South Florida on Monday. "I want to play. I want to win games and the playoffs.

So you think the guy who does an extensive interview with Bell about the money in the contract just wildly made up the $17 mil part? What do you think Bell is talking about when he calls the offer monopoly money? Contextual clues

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The 2.5 prorated bonus is the 10 mil over 5 years. If they cut him it accelerates though.

2.5x5 does not add up to 10m... that would be 12.5m... so I think that's wrong.

Pretty sure that's separate from the 10m signing bonus, or the speculation about the details are all wrong... one or the other.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So you think the guy who does an extensive interview with Bell about the money in the contract just wildly made up the $17 mil part? What do you think Bell is talking about when he calls the offer monopoly money? Contextual clues

Did you even read the article you're cherry-picking from? There is not a single piece in there where Bell mentions the money, the salary, the guaranteed money, or anything else, except saying their
"70 million" was "monopoly money". Not saying their "guaranteed money" was "monopoly money". Has nothing to do with the "guaranteed" money.

There's nothing really extensive about that interview. It was over the phone... and doesn't really have much in that article that's worth a damn...

Edit: I guess if the reporter is saying that the deal only contained 17m in guarantees, we have to believe him, but there's nothing in there that actually proves that fact. No quote directly from Bell. So call me a skeptic on believing it. Because no one has actually released the specific details of the deal from either side of the fence...

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Are there any RB in the draft that fit Nagy's offense really well? Maybe that is their plan with Davis as a filler.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Did you even read the article you're cherry-picking from? There is not a single piece in there where Bell mentions the money, the salary, the guaranteed money, or anything else, except saying their "offer" was "monopoly money". Has nothing to do with the "guaranteed" money.

There's nothing really extensive about that interview. It was over the phone... and doesn't really have much in that article that's worth a damn...

The entire article stems from a conversation with Bell about his holdout. Bell calls the offer monopoly money that because its not real. Later in the article he says "I know the guaranteed money will be there [in March]," Bell said. "If a team wanted to, they could definitely do what they needed to do to make me happy and satisfied." So you think the author did this entire article and then just invented a very specific amount of guaranteed money? You don't think Bell mentioned that while talking about wanting guaranteed money and specifically talking about the contract the Steelers offered him and it not having enough guarantees?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The entire article stems from a conversation with Bell about his holdout. Bell calls the offer monopoly money that because its not real. Later in the article he says "I know the guaranteed money will be there [in March]," Bell said. "If a team wanted to, they could definitely do what they needed to do to make me happy and satisfied." So you think the author did this entire article and then just invented a very specific amount of guaranteed money? You don't think Bell mentioned that while talking about wanting guaranteed money and specifically talking about the contract the Steelers offered him and it not having enough guarantees?

See above edit to my post...

I still think you're reading into a bunch of stuff that isn't there in that article, but yes, I guess we have to take that reporter at his word that there was only 17m in guarantees, because we have nothing else to go off. I mean, who the f*** is Jeremy Fowler, though? :laugh: Is the guy respected in the sports world at all? Or is he just some random nobody clown that writes for ESPN? I've never heard of him.

I mean... I don't just take a reporter's word on something as gospel. Have you seen the news at all lately? Reporters aren't in the business of telling the truth much these days, or even caring whether they do or not. Lots and lots of liars in the field nowadays. So again, sorry if I'm skeptical about it when that is the only thing that has ever even come out about the guarantees.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
See above edit to my post...

I still think you're reading into a bunch of stuff that isn't there in that article, but yes, I guess we have to take that reporter at his word that there was only 17m in guarantees, because we have nothing else to go off. I mean, who the **** is Jeremy Fowler, though? :laugh: Is the guy respected in the sports world at all? Or is he just some random nobody clown that writes for ESPN? I've never heard of him.

I mean... I don't just take a reporter's word on something as gospel. Have you seen the news at all lately? Reporters aren't in the business of telling the truth much these days, or even caring whether they do or not. Lots and lots of liars in the field nowadays. So again, sorry if I'm skeptical about it when that is the only thing that has ever even come out about the guarantees.

Except the Rappaport tweet I posted saying it was $10 mil in fully guaranteed money. And the quote from Bell I posted

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Regardless of the specific number, it does look to be at leats half of the amount he ended up getting. So it's not as bad as it initially looked.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Regardless of the specific number, it does look to be at leats half of the amount he ended up getting. So it's not as bad as it initially looked.

Yeah. In reading a little more, it looks like he'd end up with around $16.5m guaranteed in base salary for the first year, plus about 2m for his signing bonus.(based off the Rappaport tweet) So his guarantees in the Steelers' rejected offer were 18.5m for year one, but potentially $43m over the life of the contract. Whereas he got what, $35m absolutely guaranteed in the first two years in this one?

Edit: @Illinihockey - after reading, yes, his guarantees from the Steelers look to be about 18.5m or thereabouts, just for year one. You were right, or at least closer to right than I was. :thumbu:

If you take into account that he was healthy as of March 1st following year one, he'd have $18.5m for year one, plus $18.5m for year two, plus another 6m in signing bonus spread over the final 3 seasons. So he'd have the potential to have $37m guaranteed over two seasons(dependent on health after year one), plus another $6m guaranteed through the life of the contract from the signing bonus.

Pretty sure that's the most accurate breakdown we'll be able to come up with for it.

First two years = $33m base salary + $2m per year in signing bonus
$16.5m base salary
$2m signing bonus
$16.5m base salary
$2m signing bonus

= $37m guaranteed in the first two years(again, dependent on his health as of March 1st after year 1) plus another $6m guaranteed in signing bonuses over the final 3 years.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yeah. In reading a little more, it looks like he'd end up with around $16.5m guaranteed in base salary for the first year, plus about 2m for his signing bonus.(based off the Rappaport tweet) So his guarantees in the Steelers' rejected offer were 18.5m for year one, but potentially $43m over the life of the contract. Whereas he got what, $35m absolutely guaranteed in the first two years in this one?

Edit: @Illinihockey - after reading, yes, his guarantees from the Steelers look to be about 18.5m or thereabouts, just for year one. You were right, or at least closer to right than I was. :thumbu:

If you take into account that he was healthy as of March 1st following year one, he'd have $18.5m for year one, plus $18.5m for year two, plus another 6m in signing bonus spread over the final 3 seasons. So he'd have the potential to have $37m guaranteed over two seasons(dependent on health after year one), plus another $6m guaranteed through the life of the contract from the signing bonus.

Pretty sure that's the most accurate breakdown we'll be able to come up with for it.

First two years = $33m base salary + $2m per year in signing bonus
$16.5m base salary
$2m signing bonus
$16.5m base salary
$2m signing bonus

= $37m guaranteed in the first two years(again, dependent on his health as of March 1st after year 1) plus another $6m guaranteed in signing bonuses over the final 3 years.
I respect Bell in how he stuck to his principles. He felt disrespected by the Steelers. Fulfilled his contract and held out which was in his right.

Did he lose some money? Sure ... although in guarantees $33mn from the Steelers vs. $35mn from the Jets doesn't sound too bad. Assuming he stayed healthy (a big if), Bell lost a year's salary.

Bell did it the right way ... unlike Antonio Brown (he quit on the team during the season) and Big Ben (who threatened retirement while under contract).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad