Bears and NFL Talk LXVI - Tottenham-bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Of the signings so far I like the upside of both Patterson and Davis. I think Davis has a good chance to excel in Nagy's O. He has good burst, change of direction, and a change of scenery should be good for him. Patterson can be # 4 or t on our WR and I think is more talented than Bellamy.

Last edited:

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
So Bell signed for less AAV than he decided to forfeit last year?

Haha

He wanted guaranteed money / job security. 35 million guaranteed even he plays one game and is out for the year and up to 65 million if he hits his incentives.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I really think with Mike Davis and Cohen we have a good 1-2 punch. Add in Patterson running gadget plays or end-arounds there is a lot more functionality to this O.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Will be interesting to see if Bears make a play for Earl Thomas. I think they'll wait for cuts and go after guys then.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Will be interesting to see if Bears make a play for Earl Thomas. I think they'll wait for cuts and go after guys then.

I read he wants 2 years and 15M per, if we have the space I’d be all over that. Perfect deal for a guy who is 29. Surprised he doesn’t want 3-4 years at the least, actually.

I’m expecting the Browns to get him after trading Pepper, though.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
My conspiracy side thinks that there was some sort of agreement by the owners to limit the contract given to Bell. Don't want to encourage other players to go this route...

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I found this about the contract he turned down...

Analyzing the rejected contract offer from the Steelers to Le’Veon Bell

It looks like it is not really clear what exactly was guaranteed and what was not. If I am reading this correctly though, he essentially would have been guaranteed around $12.5 million for his first year. The second year guarantees kick in a year after, so if anything had happened he wouldn't really have been "guaranteed" that money.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Roughly the same amount guaranteed? The Steelers deal had $17 mil in guaranteed money, the Jets deal has $35....thats more than double.

The guarantees are bordering on identical according to this.

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers

"According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer."

He literally got a worse contract than he would have if he signed the Steelers offer.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Wrong. The guarantees are bordering on identical. He literally got a worse contract than he would have if he signed the Steelers offer.

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers

"According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer."

The article I posted right above said the second season portion wasn't guaranteed until March 2019, which would mean it's not a "real" guarantee.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It’ll be interesting to see how things work out for Bell. If he kept himself in top form, he may prove taking a year off from the abuse of the running back position can prolong a career. I don’t blame him for doing what he did. You look at the statistics and these guys get chewed up and spit out with regularity.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The guarantees are bordering on identical according to this.

He literally got a worse contract than he would have if he signed the Steelers offer.

No, it was $10 mil guaranteed, I was wrong

So basically he got triple the fully guaranteed money.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, it was $10 mil guaranteed, I was wrong

So basically he got triple the fully guaranteed money.

No, because you're not counting the first year of the contract, either, that was fully guaranteed.

Basically.

$10m signing bonus
$12 million base
$2.5 million prorated bonus
This is guaranteed as soon as he signs the contract.

2019 (Becomes fully guaranteed early in March 2019)
$6 million base
$5 million roster bonus (Colbert has been sticking the roster bonuses in almost all new contracts.)
This is guaranteed as soon as he finishes the 2018 season healthy.

So, in essence, his first year he would earn a guaranteed sum of 24.5m

Then he would earn another 13.5m guaranteed after completing year one healthy.

To me, he turned down a better contract, and more money from the Steelers. Just my opinion.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah, you can't call money that you earn if you make it through an NFL season healthy "guaranteed."

Players/agents certainly don't look at it that way.

Guaranteed money is money you get even if you blow out your ACL tomorrow. Not money you make if you make it through the 1st season of the deal healthy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well, I think that's the point though. It's not guaranteed if there's a way for him to not actually get the money.

He would have earned 24.5m in the first year, had he gotten hurt prior to year 2. That's still a lot of guaranteed money, no? And as long as he doesn't get a season-ending injury, and is healthy as of March 1st, he would have another 13.5m guaranteed coming his way.

Yeah, you can't call money that you earn if you make it through an NFL season healthy "guaranteed."

Players/agents certainly don't look at it that way.

Guaranteed money is money you get even if you blow out your ACL tomorrow. Not money you make if you make it through the 1st season of the deal healthy.

It is, though.

If he were to be healthy March 1st, and blow out his knee March 2nd while at the gym, and not play at all in 2019, he wouldn't lose that 13.5m.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
No, because you're not counting the first year of the contract, either, that was fully guaranteed.

Basically.

$10m signing bonus
$12 million base
This is guaranteed as soon as he signs the contract.

2019 (Becomes fully guaranteed early in March 2019)
$6 million base
$5 million roster bonus (Colbert has been sticking the roster bonuses in almost all new contracts.)
This is guaranteed as soon as he finishes the 2018 season healthy.

So, in essence, his first year he would earn a guaranteed sum of 24.5m

Then he would earn another 13.5m guaranteed after completing year one healthy.

To me, he turned down a better contract, and more money from the Steelers. Just my opinion.

Except its not guaranteed at all because if he gets suspended for something he doesn't get paid for that. If it was, Rappaport would have said he has $24.5 million guaranteed, he didn't. Also that second bolded part is kind of the point right? The Steelers are giving him the ball 400 times a year, there's no guarantee he's healthy after the 2018 season. Look at Earl Thomas who just played, broke his leg and missed almost the entire season and now won't get what he would have received pre-injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad