Bears and NFL Talk LXVI - Tottenham-bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
What is going on with the Chiefs? Were they that up against the cap? They are a decent defense away from being a super bowl team and they've got rid of their few players on D.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
he lost out on nearly $15 mil for last year - I don't care how much you break this thing down, he ****ed up and will not be able to recoup that money - the difference is minor between the guaranteed money, plus you can't invest on what you missed out on...
Two ways to look at it. What would have happened if Bell tore his knee last year? The Steelers would have looked to get out of his deal as soon as it was fiscally responsible. Bell already tore his knee for the Steelers once. You are assuming Bell would be healthy.

What if Bell tore his knee on the franchise tag? He would have missed out on $20mn guaranteed. You're assuming a NFL RB will stay healthy. You can break it down simply by INJURY. The NFL isn't the NBA. You can't assume health in the NFL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
gee, then nobody should play football then...
That was Bell's point! He plays probably the MOST dangerous position in the big 5 sports. The shelf life of a NFL RB is the shortest of all. That's why the Steelers weren't willing to give him a long term deal for more money. They were willing to franchise him for 1 year deals ... or give him $33mn guaranteed.

For that reason, Bell wanted to test the open market which the Steelers refused to do. IF the Steelers just let Bell test the market, maybe he comes back and signs with the Steelers last year. Instead, the Steelers lose a year of Bell and don't get anything in return.

Meanwhile, Bell gets a $35mn guarantee and doesn't play for an organization who he feels disrespected him. Did he lose money in the long run? Perhaps. However, football is a brutal sport. You never know.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What is going on with the Chiefs? Were they that up against the cap? They are a decent defense away from being a super bowl team and they've got rid of their few players on D.
Kind of. They basically traded Berry for the Honey Badger. Makes sense considering Berry hasn't really played for 1.5 years. They cut a 30 year old Justin Houston near the end of a 6 year $101mn contract. Dee Ford wanted a ton of money. The 49ers just signed him to a 5 year $90mn deal.

Marcus Peters got the boot last year because he wasn't the best locker room presence and wanted a massive extension.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Amos is much better

I’d say Amos is better but definitely not much. They’re in the same tier to me. Amos was playing in a much, much better defense. I think he’ll get exposed in Green Bay without the playing with guys like Mack, Ejackson, etc. I don’t expect much, if any, of a drop off from going to haha from Amos. I’m much more worried about skrine

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Meh. I’d rather have Berry personally. Haha is same level as Amos imo.

You'd rather have a guy who has played a combined 3 games the last 2 seasons?

At this point how could you even say Berry is better than anyone?

Reactions: Giovi

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Amos is much better

They are comparable players. Neither is "much better" than the other, each player brings different strength and weaknesses. If the Bears do sign Ha Ha, the defense will NOT miss a beat.

------------------

And LOL at the thought of Berry being better than Ha Ha. He once was but not moving forward. I rather have the healthier and productive player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Ha Ha Clinton Dix has the talent, it's about his head. He loses focus and gets beat deep. He needs to cut that out and he'll be fine. Remember when fans wanted the Bears to pick Clinton-Dix over Fuller 5 years ago? A lot of fans were angry.

As for Eric Berry, he's a great player and leader ... but his health is in serious question. He's been through chemo and an achilles tear in the last 3 years.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Ha Ha Clinton Dix has the talent, it's about his head. He loses focus and gets beat deep. He needs to cut that out and he'll be fine. Remember when fans wanted the Bears to pick Clinton-Dix over Fuller 5 years ago? A lot of fans were angry.

As for Eric Berry, he's a great player and leader ... but his health is in serious question. He's been through chemo and an achilles tear in the last 3 years.

All th8ngs considered if we can land Dix at somewhere in the 5-6M then I am all for it. Something tells me he want to cash in and expects at least 10-11M. At that rate it is a hard pass for me since there are 1-2 SS types like Geatbers who are good in the box run supporting safties. I think Geathers can easily be had for 4-5M and then we can address edge rusher with the remaining CAP.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
All th8ngs considered if we can land Dix at somewhere in the 5-6M then I am all for it. Something tells me he want to cash in and expects at least 10-11M. At that rate it is a hard pass for me since there are 1-2 SS types like Geatbers who are good in the box run supporting safties. I think Geathers can easily be had for 4-5M and then we can address edge rusher with the remaining CAP.
IMO, the Bears won't be paying much for a safety this year. They are saving their cap up to sign players like Whitehair, Floyd, etc. next year. In the NFL, they allow you to roll over some of the cap to the next year.

Geathers sounds logical. 26 years old and started 12 games last year. He also played for Pagano. Those are the type of players Pace likes to target in free agency. Young vets with a cheaper price tag.

bayshoni

Jul 10, 2014
I’d have been fine with that deal, but I’d also be a little nervous after an entire year off of a sport like football at the running back position might lead to.
I'd think a year off at a position like RB where you get beat up every game would do the player some good. However, don't think spending big for RB is very smart.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'd think a year off at a position like RB where you get beat up every game would do the player some good. However, don't think spending big for RB is very smart.

That’s true. Didn’t look at it from that perspective. I guess if someone can return from blowing a knee out and missing a season then there is no reason why he can’t return to his same level after a year off.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
You'd rather have a guy who has played a combined 3 games the last 2 seasons?

At this point how could you even say Berry is better than anyone?

Haha is safer pick, but the idea behind getting Berry is he’d be a lot cheaper thereby letting us use the savings elsewhere. I don’t think we need a stud at the other safety spot. I think Amos benefited a lot from other personnel. Yes, everyone benefits, but my point is that I don’t think we need to spend what’s left of the cap on that safety spot. The exception is if we were going to get a game breaker (like Thomas). Otherwise spend the money elsewhere. Amos was a good player but not nearly as good as his new contract indicates. He won’t be thought of the same in GB after this season.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
A legit Pass rush allows the secondary to play more aggressive (turnovers)

Bears front 7 > Packers front 7

If Ha ha wants to sign for a short term contract at 5 million per, DO IT!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
honestly, what the **** are the Chiefs doing?? has there been any reports why they are letting whatever solid pieces at defense they had walk/trade away???
* Justin Houston was on 5th year of a 6 year $101mn contract.
* Dee Ford just signed a 5 year $88mn contract.
* Cutting Eric Berry saved $6mn. Honey Badger signed for $10mn.
* Marcus Peters had anger issues and wanted a HUGE extension. Traded last yr.

Cutting Houston and Berry / trading Peters made sense. They decided to let Ford go in order to sign their upcoming free agents.

Managing the cap is how teams win consistently. It's how the Patriots do it. Belichick is a firm believer that getting rid of a player a year early is FAR BETTER than keeping a player a year too late. Pat Riley always said that managing/dealing with an aging star is the hardest part of sports. It's something Stan Bowman should try to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad