Bear & Jones Pairing - This Ain’t It Chief

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
To me a D like Jones is why the team went out and got a guy like 4K or Kulikov. Would prefer either of these vets, and even Russel, over Jones who adds nothing except GF the opponent.

With Broberg, Bouchard incoming there is no Jones story here whatsoever. At best hes fill until the much better D are all here.

I mean what does jones do well. Its a short list. Even Lagesson is better.

Little early to be smoking the heavy stuff.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because he does it All. The. Time.

Well not all the time..;)

Theres a lot of of falsehood about Russel expressed regularly here as well. That he's always bang it against the boards (not the case) that he adds nothing offensively or in transtion (not at all the case) and that he's in his own end all the time (not the case)

I mean inconvenient truth is he's our 3rd leading D in pts tied with Larsson, ahead of Bear and everybody else, despite playing considerably less games and minutes.

Russell also has 245NHL pts. Inconvenient truth relative to all the scrubs starfishes comments. People here talk about him like he's Colin Campbell.

Kid from Caroline AB did good.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Little early to be smoking the heavy stuff.

At this level he is. Lagesson does not overplay, is physical, and doesn't lose his mind out on the ice like Jones does in the NHL.

That said if we didn't have Broberg, Bouchard (and already Nurse, Larsson, Bear, Kulikov) I would give Jones more time to establish. But there really isn't any room at the inn and our D depth is outstanding, and means really that theres no future here for Jones.

For Jones its a numbers game here, it happens. I think he even senses it all season and has overplayed and attempted to do too much to try to establish in the short time he has here. Basically a guy that knew he was up against it and for him its seemingly made his game worse.

The amazing thing is we've had 2 solid D pairs going. its not like Jones is getting hard minutes. Its the easiest minutes you can get in the NHL and he's drowning in the shallow pool.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well not all the time..;)

Theres a lot of of falsehood about Russel expressed regularly here as well. That he's always bang it against the boards (not the case) that he adds nothing offensively or in transtion (not at all the case) and that he's in his own end all the time (not the case)

I mean, we've all been watching the guy long enough to know that he's terrible at making outlet passes and gets hemmed in a ton. These aren't myths.

I mean inconvenient truth is he's our 3rd leading D in pts tied with Larsson, ahead of Bear and everybody else, despite playing considerably less games and minutes.

Let's not go nuts, he's got one more point than Bear and has only played like 114 fewer minutes.

Russell also has 200NHL pts. Inconvenient truth relative to all the scrubs starfishes comments. People here talk about him like he's Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell career p/g: 0.20
Kris Russell: 0.28

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At this level he is. Lagesson does not overplay, is physical, and doesn't lose his mind out on the ice like Jones does in the NHL.

Jones takes more risks, which leads to more noticeable blunders. Lagesson very quietly goes about his business of getting completely caved in.

That said if we didn't have Broberg, Bouchard (and already Nurse, Larsson, Bear, Kulikov) I would give Jones more time to establish. But there really isn't any room at the inn and our D depth is outstanding, and means really that theres no future here for Jones.

Yeah I agree he's likely odd man out, but I think there's a player there, I can't say the same about Lagesson or 4K.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean, we've all been watching the guy long enough to know that he's terrible at making outlet passes and gets hemmed in a ton. These aren't myths.

Let's not go nuts, he's got one more point than Bear and has only played like 114 fewer minutes.

Colin Campbell career p/g: 0.20
Kris Russell: 0.28

Campbell played at a time when G/G were around 10 as a starting point..;)

When goalies had baseball gloves and Sears goalie equipment and couldn't skate, move laterally, and threw themselves all over the ice like Red Light Racicot.

Bear? Russell has MORE EV pts in FAR less minutes. lol, 114 minutes is a lot of minutes. In average toi thats like playing 7 less games. Oh snap, Russell DID play 7 less games. Thats 20% less games.

The reality is Russell somehow has 9EV pts in only 35GP. Bear has 8EV pts in 42 GP.

The common distortion however is Russell can't get out of his own zone to save his life and yet several of his career assists, and this season are him playing jump D and going deep into opponent zone to make a play. Several of them nice setups.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’ve been completely unimpressed with Jones all year, despite my high hopes for him. Especially if Krusty is dinged up a bit, I’d rather see Lagesson as I think his style fits the playoffs better vs the big Winnipeg forwards. Against Toronto maybe Jones skating tilts thing back his way. Ultimately I’m looking forward to Samorukov next year and maybe Broberg in 2022/23.

Jday1199

Apr 30, 2016
Sometimes it is the sum of all the parts. Bear was playing with Jones and started to find his game, after coming off a game where he scored his first goal (breakout was initiated by Jones) they moved him up to play with Nurse and was awful. The next game he played with Russell and again was not good. Him and Jones have played together ever since and have looked functional in the role required of them. Jones screwed up yesterday and when attempting to recover hit skates and fell, it happens. They read off each other and are clearly getting more and more comfortable together.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Honestly I've really liked that pairing recently. Bear's game has rebounded and Jones is really coming into his own defensively.

Same. I used to absolutely hate Jones (the brain-fart version)... but there are games where he defends quickly and briskly moves the puck out of the zone without mistakes.

Bear has been great for a while. Maybe not top-pair good but solid enough for middle/bottom pair.

Reactions: Llamamoto

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I’ve been completely unimpressed with Jones all year, despite my high hopes for him. Especially if Krusty is dinged up a bit, I’d rather see Lagesson as I think his style fits the playoffs better vs the big Winnipeg forwards. Against Toronto maybe Jones skating tilts thing back his way. Ultimately I’m looking forward to Samorukov next year and maybe Broberg in 2022/23.

Sammy is what you get when you fuse Jones-Lagesson together. He's a hard-hitting, hard shooting, good skating D-man that's not as risky as Jones but not slow like Lagesson.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Even with all that, he's still better than Jones at one very important aspect for a DEFENSEman which is defending and helping to keep the puck out of his own net. It's not pretty to watch but he's effective at that, always has been.

Yeah but the D-man just gives it away or rings it around the board to the other team... what's the point?

We can't have all Barries... but I prefer Jones/Lagesson/Kulikov/KK over Russell.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lagesson> Russell> Kulikov> Jones

KK is too rusty to even consider

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Campbell played at a time when G/G were around 10 as a starting point..;)

When goalies had baseball gloves and Sears goalie equipment and couldn't skate, move laterally, and threw themselves all over the ice like Red Light Racicot.

I always knew that gretzky guy was overrated.

Bear? Russell has MORE EV pts in FAR less minutes. lol, 114 minutes is a lot of minutes. In average toi thats like playing 7 less games. Oh snap, Russell DID play 7 less games. Thats 20% less games.

The reality is Russell somehow has 9EV pts in only 35GP. Bear has 8EV pts in 42 GP.

It's one assist dude lmao.

The common distortion however is Russell can't get out of his own zone to save his life and yet several of his career assists, and this season are him playing jump D and going deep into opponent zone to make a play. Several of them nice setups

How many, exactly, is "several"?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You defend some of the weirdest players, man.

Over the past five games Jones has one assist, three shots on goal and is a -4. Based on his game this season, he'd likely clear waivers next year. That's how much his game fell this year.

And he's still better than Lagesson.

Kulikov is probably the best of the four listed above, but if we're talking about who plays 3LD, he's not in the conversation.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And he's still better than Lagesson.

Kulikov is probably the best of the four listed above, but if we're talking about who plays 3LD, he's not in the conversation.
That isn't saying much. Lagesson is a far better defensive player, but his skating probably holds him back from being an NHL regular.

In the playoffs it's difficult to see either of those guys get looks ahead of Kulikov or Russell, who are far more reliable in their own zone.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I still got to think Kulikov is adjusting. Theres just no way hes this bad after reading all the reviews/praise.

So far from what I've seen:
Jones/Laggy>Kulikov>Russell

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I always knew that gretzky guy was overrated.

It's one assist dude lmao.

How many, exactly, is "several"?

Typical non sequitur responses from you when you're wrong about anything.

The point is that Russell isn't the empty sack that you and some other posters make him out to be, and Jones has been a sack of nothing this year.

I mean there has to be some incredible distortion going on if Russell has 245 career pts, has more pts than Bear this season, and while playing 7 less games and less minutes in those games.

But hey, starfish..

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Russell was arguably our best D man in the play ins. Russell and Larsson were the only two who really showed up.
Is he healthy? As for the play-ins, he did have some really bad-luck with a couple ugly own-net tip-ins that a lot of people remember.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That isn't saying much. Lagesson is a far better defensive player, but his skating probably holds him back from being an NHL regular..

Lagesson is a trash fire defensively, dude. he had two ok games paired with Larsson, but otherwise he's AHL-calibre.

Typical non sequitur responses from you when you're wrong about anything.

The point is that Russell isn't the empty sack that you and some other posters make him out to be, and Jones has been a sack of nothing this year.

Jones has had a rough year, but he's a young developing player. It happens. Russell...exists. It's funny, he's missed seven straight games and I doubt anyone has even noticed his absence. Best case scenario is Seattle grabs him for his gritty warrior ways and we can watch Mcdavid and Co torch him over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad