Bear & Jones Pairing - This Ain’t It Chief

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pros: Good skater, good passer, good compete level for an undersized player. Cons: Gets the yips under pressure, tries to do too much and the game is still too fast for him.

You seem to be under the impression I'm arguing that he's having a great season. I'm not. I don't even think his upside is particularly high, but he's better than some of the other options on the bottom pair, none of whom are great at anything at all.q

Bouchard is a top 10 pick, I'd expect a player like that to be better already. Bear had to work his bag off to get where he is and that's his edge.

The real test IMO will be if Broberg is ready to step in, but he's apparently been crap this season.

What D man do you protect over Jones? Russell?

No I wouldn't protect Russell. But yes to Nurse, Larsson, Barrie, even Bear or Kulikov depending on what playoffs end up looking like.

Going forward like I said Bouchard, Broberg, Sammy, those look like better options than Jones who finds himself in a numbers game here. I think he's felt that pressure to have to make his mark, and he's fallen short and even by his accounts has had a really rough year. Strangely even after a long break and a chance to watch he didn't find his way, if anything got worse. To me its the look of a player drilling himself into the ice. Expecting to make a lot of mistakes and making them. You can't insert confidence in a players head. The NHL overwhelms Jones, thats the look of it.

I mean he's 24 in a few weeks. Its been a long wait for him to be showing anything.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No I wouldn't protect Russell. But yes to Nurse, Larsson, Barrie, even Bear or Kulikov depending on what playoffs end up looking like.

Barrie, Larsson, and Kulikov are all UFA, you don't need to burn a slot on them. So that leaves Bear and Nurse and possibly Klefbom as guys they need to protect for sure, which they could do if they wanted to protect 7 forwards (which they don't really need to) and no other D.

Going forward like I said Bouchard, Broberg, Sammy, those look like better options than Jones who finds himself in a numbers game here. I think he's felt that pressure to have to make his mark, and he's fallen short and even by his accounts has had a really rough year. Strangely even after a long break and a chance to watch he didn't find his way, if anything got worse. To me its the look of a player drilling himself into the ice. Expecting to make a lot of mistakes and making them. You can't insert confidence in a players head. The NHL overwhelms Jones, thats the look of it.

I mean he's 24 in a few weeks. Its been a long wait for him to be showing anything.

Bouch is a RHD so it's not really an issue. Broberg and Samourkov are ages away.

I don't think it's the end of the world if they lose Jones to the kraken, but I'd really much prefer them to keep developing guys like that and try to use the expansion draft to shed some bad money.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is a great example of how negative bias and luck works.

Yeah silly me valuing objective numbers over horrifically flawed observation. How are his shot numbers "inflated," exactly?
'Objective' numbers.

Please explain to me why a defenseman who doesn't defend overly well should be viewed as a positive contributor.

His team-based metrics like Corsi, Fenwick and goal differential (both expected and actual) all swing somewhat in his favor despite the fact this player generally doesn't do anything when he's on the ice. Why do you think that is?

Infrequent good passing seems to go a long way with some posters on this board. The fact of the matter is that this is a quality NHL team and you're arguing on behalf of a waiver-eligible fringe defenseman whose done nothing but fall short of expectations this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad