Bear & Jones Pairing - This Ain’t It Chief

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Jones-Bear actually had a really fine game except that one really bad blunder by Jones.

Im fine with seeing 4K on the LD or Laggy but this seems like a overreaction. Bear has been good for awhile now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't forget the all-important "starfishing into nowhere" and "tipping shots past your own goalie" skillz.

Even with all that, he's still better than Jones at one very important aspect for a DEFENSEman which is defending and helping to keep the puck out of his own net. It's not pretty to watch but he's effective at that, always has been.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bear-Jones is one of our better pairings if you have any idea how to actually evaluate D

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Even with all that, he's still better than Jones at one very important aspect for a DEFENSEman which is defending and helping to keep the puck out of his own net.

I like players who don't spend all their time in their own end and pray for great goaltending.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like players who don't spend all their time in their own end and pray for great goaltending.

I like players who aren't net negatives because they bleed goals against.

I actually like Jones's game quite a bit when he has the puck but he gets eaten alive on the forecheck, that doesn't bode well in a playoff series. I'd feel more comfortable with Russell holding the fort in a tight checking, physical playoff series.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I like players who aren't net negatives because they bleed goals against.

I actually like Jones's game quite a bit when he has the puck but he gets eaten alive on the forecheck, that doesn't bode well in a playoff series. I'd feel more comfortable with Russell holding the fort in a tight checking, physical playoff series.

Playing kitty-bar-the-door in the playoffs is a surefire way to get your **** pushed in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People pining for Russell clearly didn't watch the play-ins.
Better not pine for much of our supporting cast if the play-ins are anything to go by.

Russell will be a warrior for us in the playoffs if given the chance.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Better not pine for much of our supporting cast if the play-ins are anything to go by.

Russell will be a warrior for us in the playoffs if given the chance.

There is no doubt he would be a warrior in our own zone.

But I cannot watch him win a battle, go high and hard off the glass and give possession right back to the Jets 10x game

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Bear has turned his season around the last couple of weeks outside of the odd misplay. Jones just cannot seem to stop giving up 1-3 Grade A chances a game due to poor decisions with the puck or horrible own-zone positioning, he has certainly been the larger problem with that pairing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There is no doubt he would be a warrior in our own zone.

But I cannot watch him win a battle, go high and hard off the glass and give possession right back to the Jets 10x game

I always love how a guy like Russell gets praise for being a warrior in his own end when that's because that's where the puck is 99% of his time he's on the ice.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
My issue with Jones for the last couple of years is that he wants to play like he's an offensive defenceman, but I don't think he has the talent to back it up. By my eye, he's good at getting into the right spots in the offensive zone, but he flubs the opportunity when it comes to him. If he was producing that would be one thing, but right now he's a below-average defender who takes a lot of risks and is not productive offensively.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I think Tippets giving Jones a chance, he is familiar with Bear having played in AHL together.
Not sure how far KRussel is away from returning.
stauffer mentioned K.R is skating with Kassian in YEG currently.
Game one of playoffs, not sure who draws in:
Jones or K4 or KRussel

FF7577B2-CD49-4C6F-B70A-39D2C35E1B79.jpeg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jones can look great at times but in the playoffs the team will be tested much harder than in the regular season. We have puck movers on the D. I would guess Jones gets more exposed when the play intensifies.

I am fine with keeping him in the press box and playing him once in a while. That gives him an energy advantage we can use in a series when the schedule gets rough and both sides are tired. Jones has talent so hes definitely an asset. To be that regular D he needs another leap in development imho

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bear-Jones is one of our better pairings if you have any idea how to actually evaluate D

Which way is that? Jones has been the worst D on this club all season.

Jones see's relatively easy minutes, doesn't log a lot of ice time and still the worst +/1 on the club and making clusterf*** plays like this against the poorest level of opposition you're ever going to see in an NHL game. The Habs had 20 starters out of the lineup.

Jones losing his mind out there.

I mean count the blunders on this play. What on Earth is his thought process throughout this?

People rag Russel on starfish?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It seems to me that Bear has serious issues gathering and breaking out the puck with an opponent on him on the forecheck. He gets tied up way too often because he takes too long to make decisions. I'm too lazy to go find footage, but I'm sure some others here have noticed. It happens after a dump in when he is behind the goal line and tries to collect the puck and skate up the boards. Basically every time this happens he turns it over or gets tied up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jones-Bear actually had a really fine game except that one really bad blunder by Jones.

Im fine with seeing 4K on the LD or Laggy but this seems like a overreaction. Bear has been good for awhile now.

Jones hasn't been good at any point and imagine finding a way to be -7 with easy minutes, limited use, in only 33GP and on topten club with great goal differential. Jones has worst per game numbers than anybody on the club except dead Turris who retired and forgot to alert his agent, and Holland.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No idea why fans are obsessed with wasting a protection slot on Jones.

If Seattle doesnt take him please just launch him into the sun and never return.

To me a D like Jones is why the team went out and got a guy like 4K or Kulikov. Would prefer either of these vets, and even Russel, over Jones who adds nothing except GF the opponent.

With Broberg, Bouchard incoming there is no Jones story here whatsoever. At best hes fill until the much better D are all here.

I mean what does jones do well. Its a short list. Even Lagesson is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00