Bear & Jones Pairing - This Ain’t It Chief

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I dunno, I thought 4K had a few good games to start the season then got progressively worse.

Bear and Jones have warts to their games this season, for sure. I don't think any combination of Lagesson/4K or even Russel have been consistent either. I think Bear may elevate his game in the playoffs, Jones not so much.

Reactions: Aerchon

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Goodness, this better not be a pairing in the playoffs. Bear is off this season and Jones just isn’t good enough to be an NHL regular.

Give me Russel and 4K on the left side ALL DAY.
Are you sure you were watching the right game?...

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I prefer Russell to Jones. You know what you get with Russell. He’s just a guy who just defends the front of the net and chips the puck out. I get why they’re giving Jones looks though.

I like Russell more than a lot of people, but at this point even I don't like him in the lineup anymore. He is just a complete blackhole offensively at this stage and that really hurts the team. Seeing the impact Barrie and Bouchard and Bear and Nurse are having it shines a light on it. Jones has some misadventures but at least he isn't totally useless in transition. Honestly it's also why I have some time for Koekkoek. He is no offensive dynamo but he has some offensive skills. Hell even Larsson who is pretty much the epitome of a defensive guy still has enough skill to make some plays.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Can't recall the last time Jones hit somebody. Also makes a grade A mistake every game it seems

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Can't recall the last time Jones hit somebody. Also makes a grade A mistake every game it seems

Russell, on the flip side, is usually getting caved in the shots against vs shots for when he is on the ice. He gives up the zone way to easily, and also can’t transition the puck to create offensive opportunities. It’s literally hang on for dear life when he is on the ice

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Something tells me that Jones and Bouchard will be spending a lot of time together soon... I hope I'm wrong but...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bears game is back to last years Pre-Covid break levels. Happened a couple weeks ago, are you watching the games? He looks fine, he has a snappy, accurate outlet and can use it, he escapes pressure situations like the best of them and he’s even jumping up more and getting some offence lately.

Jones has been bad all year. Can’t execute a play worth shit, he screws up dump-ins, passes, whiffs shots, can’t complete an outlet. He has gotten better this last month though. I can see some potential there now whereas before I saw none. He is very quick and agile, he has creative ideas but doesn’t seem to know how to pick his spots and thus gets himself in trouble or not executing. I wonder if it has anything to do with Coffey telling him to just “play his game”, he should be told to pick his spots and also bear down and compete a play.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I prefer Russell to Jones. You know what you get with Russell. He’s just a guy who just defends the front of the net and chips the puck out. I get why they’re giving Jones looks though.
Russel is much more reliable than Jones. He just won’t make an outlet pass, but neither can Jones so it’s a wash there. Russel will bring elite shot blocking, a warrior mentality, and sacrificing the body. For the playoffs, gotta get Russel in over Jones. 4K would work too if not too rusty.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Russel is much more reliable than Jones. He just won’t make an outlet pass, but neither can Jones so it’s a wash there. Russel will bring elite shot blocking, a warrior mentality, and sacrificing the body. For the playoffs, gotta get Russel in over Jones. 4K would work too if not too rusty.

Jim Matheson?

Didn’t know you posted on HF.

Reactions: Pointteen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle's not taking Jones.
You never know. Vegas took Reinhart

I think we are protecting Benson. So perhaps the 7-3-1 route? I guess to do that we would need to extend someone like Larsson after expansion

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed, they're a bit of a trainwreck defensively and I expect Winnipeg's big forwards to feast on this small, weak pairing down low. I feel uncomfortable whenever they're defending. I don't agree that Jones isn't an NHL regular but he's extremely inconsistent defensively, plays very skittish when the forecheck closes on him.

I think it's quite likely that we see Russell, if healthy, draw in for Jones for a couple of games and a lot of people will hate it but it's the smart move. Say what you want about Russell and his inability to move the puck and it's awful to watch but he's a much better defender than Jones despite what the analytics guys say.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDreamy

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, they're a bit of a trainwreck defensively and I expect Winnipeg's big forwards to feast on this small, weak pairing down low. I feel uncomfortable whenever they're defending. I don't agree that Jones isn't an NHL regular but he's extremely inconsistent defensively, plays very skittish when the forecheck closes on him.

I think it's quite likely that we see Russell draw in for Jones for a couple of games and a lot of people will hate it but it's the smart move. Say what you want about Russell and his inability to move the puck and it's awful to watch but he's a much better defender than Jones despite what the analytics guys say.

I think Lagesson should get a look there too. I'm not sure he's better than Russell at this stage in his career, but the potential is there.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Don't forget the all-important "starfishing into nowhere" and "tipping shots past your own goalie" skillz.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->