Be a Pro Mode

Wild4Cup

Jun 13, 2019
Anyone else had this problem? Playing NHL20, started as a 15-year old in the OHL playing center. I play one game and sim one game to save some time and after 12 games I had 7 goals and 5 assists with ~12min toi, no PP or PK time at all, 2nd in the team in scoring. For some reason the coach decides to demote me to the 4th line because my statistics aren’t good enough for 3rd line? Is it because my overall is only 54 or what more should I do to get promoted to top lines? It’s not really funny to play only 2-3 shifts/period and less than 10min of ice time while I’m one of the best scorers on the team. My pro hasn’t scored a point in any of the simmed games so could that be the problem? Any tips how to fix this?

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I will say the teammates seem to get open a bit better... I have been able to actually get assists from them going to the net front and shooting low, or going in on a two on one has them driving the net better... For my super casual "pick it up when I wanna play a mindless game" play, I enjoy it enough.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
The day the game was released I tried Be A Pro mode. It was boring and repetitive. They must've done a patch because I recently started a new career and there is a more content specifically in the player's off ice interactions. Be A Pro needs more improvements though, for sure. The pace seems off.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I've been a hardcore BAP player since the game mode was released but only played the new BAP in NHL 21 for a couple of weeks after its release as I got sick of it pretty fast. Is it any better yet? Based on the activity of this thread it seems the game mode is pretty much dead. I can't get over the fact that they took away CHL and AHL. Creating a fantasy player that goes straight into the NHL just ruins it for me.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The most fun of the game modes but could be executed far better. When in doubt, look to FIFA. Why should buying a car affect my ratings? Practices and in-game performances should. Just give more weight to practices and make them playable (like in FIFA), where you can choose exactly which areas (plural) to work on. Right now, practices hardly make a difference.

Interactions with coach and GM are also repetitive. And why is my performance punished for my teammates’ defensive negligence?

This has so much potential, and this year is a step in the right direction, but good god. Still a ways to go.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
After playing 3 seasons in BAP as a defenceman, I can safelly say the dzone AI (on allstar) is horrible. If I put it down tot pro level, my team dominates the other team and I may as well not play. If I play on all star, my team abandons defense, including my d partner, leaving me to defend constant 2 on 1 encounters. This forces me as a defenceman to score multiple points a game just to get a win. My partner abandons the front of the net and I get the negative points. We have a clear 2 on 2, my partner skates away from everything and all of a sudden the man he was covering is alone in front for a tap in, negative points for me. Or worse, a 1 on 1, I slow up the guy I'm defending. What happens? My team all stop at the blue line and allows a 4 on 1 and I can't cover everyone. Negative points for me.

All I know is if I get negative points for every non-optimal play, my teammates must have 1000x negative points. I'm surprised any of their overalls go up with all the mistakes they make.

With updates, they seemed to eliminate the whole "teammates open cross crease" thing that allowed me to get assists earlier. Now opposing D picks up most passes. I'm ok with that, however, I would like to see the same pass-blocking from my team.

It seems like some games no matter what I do, my team will bleed points and I'm screwed. Others, I kill and get 5 points as a Dman.

I would like dependable teammates, and consistent defense from the other team. I feel like I'm not asking for too much.

Reactions: OB5 and CasusBelli

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The most fun of the game modes but could be executed far better. When in doubt, look to FIFA. Why should buying a car affect my ratings? Practices and in-game performances should. Just give more weight to practices and make them playable (like in FIFA), where you can choose exactly which areas (plural) to work on. Right now, practices hardly make a difference.

Interactions with coach and GM are also repetitive. And why is my performance punished for my teammates’ defensive negligence?

This has so much potential, and this year is a step in the right direction, but good god. Still a ways to go.
The entire game should be completely redone. entered a new gen with limitless possibilities. I hope they come out swinging next year not only in Be A Pro but everything.
Games great anyways but usually minor tweaks on a year to year basis. was good to see them finally put some into Be A Pro. hasnt changed too much since they brought it in back in 09 till now and I agree it has a long way to go but its a start

Reactions: CasusBelli
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I understand that even on difficult settings, you can coast on BAP. But has this happened to anyone before??

It’s my third year with the Kings, I’ve won numerous trophies and Stanley Cups. I request a trade and the Kings - who not only traded me to a 1-14-1 Avalanche, but they said it was the “best deal they had”

what was I dealt for? A middling fourth round pick.

Reactions: OB5

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010

... and I always see the excuse that no one plays it so they don’t devote time as effort into it. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. You look at other sports games and their equivalent Be a Pro Modes seem to be well loved. I don’t want a fixed narrative with a player I didn’t create like Madden. There is so much they could do with it for what one would think is limited effort but for some reason they don’t, which seems to be a common thing with this franchise. Cant even get the Canes secondary logos and word marks in Create a Team which have been around now for near 3 or 4 seasons.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
No AHL lol...it's so much fun playing in the NHL as a 70 overall goalie in a game mode where it's already hard enough as a 90 rated goalie to get above a .900 SV%. Not to mention how much harder goalie is this year in general. I struggle to stay above .850 SV%. Hope 22 is better...

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
No AHL lol...it's so much fun playing in the NHL as a 70 overall goalie in a game mode where it's already hard enough as a 90 rated goalie to get above a .900 SV%. Not to mention how much harder goalie is this year in general. I struggle to stay above .850 SV%. Hope 22 is better...

Did they say if there will be an AHL this year, or at least if we will be able to play more than a measly 3-4 games before we get shoved into the NHL?

It gets pretty lame playing out the same kind of career, extremely lame really.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Another year of ruined BaP. Oh well, maybe next year.
For me, the pre-NHL21 BaP was better.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Why are NHL 22 Be a Pro shift lengths so God awfully long? There's no reason my 74 overall Defenseman should have 55 minutes TOI per game.

Reactions: izzy

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Goalie seems a bit more playable than last year. I got two goalie interference called against me in a few games which I found weird

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
It also seems to never change you between faceoffs (unless the team switches to special teams).
For my forward, if there's a whistle and I've been out there for around a minute and a half of a shift, it switches me. I haven't noticed any issues with that.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
So I'm on my 10th season with my Pro in NHL 22 and there's definitely some good and bad.

The worst is that every interaction has the player and the other person look angry, no matter what the meeting is about. "Congrats, we've made you captain of the team!" the coach says as he waves his clipboard in the air and stomps off angrily. Ridiculous, how does this crap get through QA?

There are storylines that go over years, so that's been interesting. A few more interactions, some new choices. A decent plus but still nothing terribly exciting.

I do get annoyed quite often when I'm simming through some games and the coach demands that I win the next game, because you know, it's all up to me!

Another big problem that I've noticed is that sometimes you get multiple press conferences for the exact same thing, one after another on the same day. This becomes a bit of an issue if you failed to reach a goal, as you get multiple penalties. Not that big a deal though, as it's ridiculously easy to fill up the meters to 10,000 anyway. They changed it from 1000 last year, but they could probably change it to 100,000 and it wouldn't really matter, it's so easy to fill. So that's another issue.

I keep getting asked about my Calder rivals, even at year 10.....

The gameplay itself is a big plus, it feels more realistic to me, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Contracts are still the same old "here, choose between these 2 teams". There's nothing added and it's extremely disappointing.

Overall, I'd say it's a small step in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go.

Edit: Oh yeah, after winning my second straight Stanley Cup with over 140 points in each season, I got a nice segment about how it was unfortunate that I didn't appear to be the Franchise Cornerstone that they thought I was going to be. That was nice...

Last edited:

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Finished the 25 seasons of Be a Pro and they actually fixed the angry interactions issue! When I beat the career points record, there was a fairly quick celebration and a line about it, but that's it. The end of the career was decent, showing all your achievements. It was still a bit painful, with all the random museum trips, trading card, clothing line stuff constantly, but definitely not as bad as last year. I'm going to start a goalie now and take my time with my next playthrough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad