Be a Pro Mode

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
There really needs to be a update for Be a Pro defensemen ice time. 3 minute+ shift, force them to line change me out, then put back on the ice less than 30 seconds later.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Has anyone been able to do training in bap? I don't get the training reminder and I don't even see the auto training setting in the settings menu.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
So I'm on my 10th season with my Pro in NHL 22 and there's definitely some good and bad.

The worst is that every interaction has the player and the other person look angry, no matter what the meeting is about. "Congrats, we've made you captain of the team!" the coach says as he waves his clipboard in the air and stomps off angrily. Ridiculous, how does this crap get through QA?

There are storylines that go over years, so that's been interesting. A few more interactions, some new choices. A decent plus but still nothing terribly exciting.

I do get annoyed quite often when I'm simming through some games and the coach demands that I win the next game, because you know, it's all up to me!

Another big problem that I've noticed is that sometimes you get multiple press conferences for the exact same thing, one after another on the same day. This becomes a bit of an issue if you failed to reach a goal, as you get multiple penalties. Not that big a deal though, as it's ridiculously easy to fill up the meters to 10,000 anyway. They changed it from 1000 last year, but they could probably change it to 100,000 and it wouldn't really matter, it's so easy to fill. So that's another issue.

I keep getting asked about my Calder rivals, even at year 10.....

The gameplay itself is a big plus, it feels more realistic to me, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Contracts are still the same old "here, choose between these 2 teams". There's nothing added and it's extremely disappointing.

Overall, I'd say it's a small step in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go.

Edit: Oh yeah, after winning my second straight Stanley Cup with over 140 points in each season, I got a nice segment about how it was unfortunate that I didn't appear to be the Franchise Cornerstone that they thought I was going to be. That was nice...

Great post especially the part about QA! It’s really hard to immerse yourself in a career mode when the game is referring to you as a rookie your whole career etc. :laugh:

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I'm 21 games in. I'm playing as a LW TWF on the Oilers. 20min periods, full sim, all-star and playing all games and periods.
It's hard and I like it. I have 9 points in these 21 games which seems reasonable for a 70 overall rookie. Only problem with it is that this story mode is not meant for 3rd line grinders and it shows.
I've played on a third line in every game with approximately 12 TOI per game. Now here's my problem. The in-game simulation is completely and utterly broken. Mcdavid is playing on the first line with Nugent-Hopkins and Puljujarvi (made him 84ovr) and they can't score. Mcdavid has NINE points and 40 shots. That's about half of what league's top guys have in shots taken. JP has 10 points and RHN got 7. Draisaitl has 18 points on the second line with Hyman and Yamamoto.
I'm hoping to get to second or first line in hopes of boosting McDavid's offence. This was also a problem in NHL 21.
EA...do you even QA? Shame, EA, shame!

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Same as last year , get told I'm going 1st after destroying the Memorial Cup , ace the interview for both team 1 and team 2....Always get drafted 2nd.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Maybe Be a Pro will actually be good in 2025, or maybe 2030. I mean, when EA cares about developing their games and pigs fly, things will happen. I gave up in 2019 when Be a Pro REGRESSED. Haven't bought 2020 or 2021 and will not buy another game until they actually give a damn.

So many things utterly stinks and they never fix them. And if they "fix" them it only gets worse.

Is it still the same that you quickly get a 99 in shooting while gaining speed is an extremely slow process, since the training system is broken and the experience from games is equally broken?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
BAP thinks my making it to the Memorial Cup is me making it to the Stanley Cup for the third time in my career, wearing the C, with Ferraro and James speculating whether I still have it in me. Switching to Champions League, simply to get more games in and enter the league with higher overall.

Ended up setting goalies to 95 across the board after scoring way too easily (1.5PPG on the Sabres as a 72-rated defenseman on all-star). Now goalies have S% above 91.0 almost every game. It’s frustrating to see my point blank shots or blistering one timers saved so frequently, but I also start as a 68 Overall, so maybe it’s not unrealistic. Goalies occasionally stop OV one-timers and McDavid breakaways.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Maybe Be a Pro will actually be good in 2025, or maybe 2030. I mean, when EA cares about developing their games and pigs fly, things will happen. I gave up in 2019 when Be a Pro REGRESSED. Haven't bought 2020 or 2021 and will not buy another game until they actually give a damn.

So many things utterly stinks and they never fix them. And if they "fix" them it only gets worse.

Is it still the same that you quickly get a 99 in shooting while gaining speed is an extremely slow process, since the training system is broken and the experience from games is equally broken?

For me it’s the wrist-shot power penalties that I get. I’m just flinging the puck on net, since I’m being pressured at the blue line, hoping for a deflection somewhere. CPU says it’s a weak shot. I don’t think even Sakic shot lasers every time.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Be a Pro AI is just unbearable I had Skinner literally stop the puck one inch from a goal and toss it back to the outside when it was about to go in off the goalie then for some reason the AI on the other team is aggressive as a bunch of angry animals affected by rabies to come after the player when they have the puck which leads to excessive injuries. Then you get negative stuff from the coach when your team own goals themselves like you were supposed to stop your moronic teammates from scoring on themselves. A good portion of AI opposing goals come from slowly skating to the center of the zone while the D-men stand there while the opposing D-men would be all over you for doing the same by yourself.

suprafastcelica

Oct 30, 2006
I just got to the trade deadline in my be a pro. My team didn't do much but some others did. Dallas traded away Pavelski, Benn, Faksa, Radulov, and Klingberg to 4 different teams all for first round picks. What gets me is they are only 1 point out of a wildcard. I guess they are not trying to make the playoffs.

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
There really needs to be a update for Be a Pro defensemen ice time. 3 minute+ shift, force them to line change me out, then put back on the ice less than 30 seconds later.

I found a fix for this, sorta… Max Human Fatigue and make Human Fatigue Recovery zero. Also don’t put any training into Stamina.

I am getting much shorter shifts, even into my second year.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I started playing this mode last night, and some of the things are odd. I started out in the Champions League, and lost the first game 4-3. In the second game, I threw a big hit and of course I automatically had to fight. Which made me get kicked out of the game. And then hilariously, I got called over by the coach and asked to score to tie the game. Like…no. We lost the game 1-0 and I got in trouble for not meeting the objective.

Still went 22nd overall to Washington.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Has anyone been able to do training in bap? I don't get the training reminder and I don't even see the auto training setting in the settings menu.
Last year in NHL 21 they did an update that made the literal training screen a little faster, but at the same time it removed the reminder. So now during off season, you have to go to calander, advance to Sunday, go to training, select what you want to train, go back to calendar, etc…. It’s terrible, and the menus are especially bad when you compare to fifa or madden. Heck, quit fifa mid game? It picks back where you left off.

Once my bap is fast enough, I just give up on training all together, because all I really train is speed and strength.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Last year in NHL 21 they did an update that made the literal training screen a little faster, but at the same time it removed the reminder. So now during off season, you have to go to calander, advance to Sunday, go to training, select what you want to train, go back to calendar, etc…. It’s terrible, and the menus are especially bad when you compare to fifa or madden. Heck, quit fifa mid game? It picks back where you left off.

Once my bap is fast enough, I just give up on training all together, because all I really train is speed and strength.
Love the career mode in FIFA as well. It’s a different take on X Factor and Skill Points — but a refreshing one. Also like the coach’s goals and that your finishing / long shots don’t get penalized when you miss the net or let go a softie. Also tired of losing offensive awareness and Team Play scores because I made a “bad call for pass” — even though the issue was my line mate can’t complete a simple pass off the boards. I also like some of the interactivity of Career Mode in Madden — though that too, admittedly, requires plenty of work.

All in all, please make NHL career mode more like FIFA career mode.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Took a stand for all goalies across the world and did what needed to be done: I changed all sliders to 100 for goalie and slowed down the game speed. I unapologetically have won 4 vezinas and currently have a .940 sv% and a 1.49 gaa. Getting around 26-30 or so shots per game with 7 minute periods. This is the first time I've enjoyed playing goalie on an nhl video game's bpa so that's pretty nice.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m getting really tired of John Carlson asking me to do shit on days off. Can someone else at least ask me?

This is one of my annoyances! I started in the NHL (would much prefer to start in the CHL, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that with new rosters and got tired of Jack Eichel on the Sabres… plus I use a roster with all the NCAA caps, etc.) Alex Tuch is apparently the only teammate who knows I exist. They need to address that with a little variety.

Second annoyance is failing challenges occasionally that you didn’t fail. Either the coach said let’s shut the door when it was 4-2 and you add 2 assists in the third and win 6-2 and he’s like “playing in our end is not what I had in mind” or the media challenges you to out score the other rookie and you put up 1+2 and then after the game they’re like “too bad you didn’t get on the score sheet”.

Third annoyance, my rookie leads the league in PIMs because I have to fight every time I land a big hit.

Fourth, I’m playing as the Sabres because I thought this is a fun, young team with roster space that would be enjoyable to work toward a cup with. Now Tuch, Olafsson, Thompson and my rookie are all top 7 in the league in scoring 42 games into the season. And I’ve simmed probably 18 of them.

Fifth, every team we play against, it shows their #1 Dman and my rookie for a side by side stats comparison and always shows that their D has the same number of goals as my guy. So like when I had 14 goals it said Carlson had 14 goals, then the next game it said Ekblad had 14 goals. Neither had more than 5-6 in reality.

Sixth, even on the top pair I shouldn’t be playing 29-34 minutes per night. Also, I’m tired of getting dinged for a missed assignment or bad line defense whenever my AI completely screws the pooch and leaves me out to dry.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This is one of my annoyances! I started in the NHL (would much prefer to start in the CHL, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that with new rosters and got tired of Jack Eichel on the Sabres… plus I use a roster with all the NCAA caps, etc.) Alex Tuch is apparently the only teammate who knows I exist. They need to address that with a little variety.

Second annoyance is failing challenges occasionally that you didn’t fail. Either the coach said let’s shut the door when it was 4-2 and you add 2 assists in the third and win 6-2 and he’s like “playing in our end is not what I had in mind” or the media challenges you to out score the other rookie and you put up 1+2 and then after the game they’re like “too bad you didn’t get on the score sheet”.

Third annoyance, my rookie leads the league in PIMs because I have to fight every time I land a big hit.

Fourth, I’m playing as the Sabres because I thought this is a fun, young team with roster space that would be enjoyable to work toward a cup with. Now Tuch, Olafsson, Thompson and my rookie are all top 7 in the league in scoring 42 games into the season. And I’ve simmed probably 18 of them.

Fifth, every team we play against, it shows their #1 Dman and my rookie for a side by side stats comparison and always shows that their D has the same number of goals as my guy. So like when I had 14 goals it said Carlson had 14 goals, then the next game it said Ekblad had 14 goals. Neither had more than 5-6 in reality.

Sixth, even on the top pair I shouldn’t be playing 29-34 minutes per night. Also, I’m tired of getting dinged for a missed assignment or bad line defense whenever my AI completely screws the pooch and leaves me out to dry.

I’m paired with Backstrom and Landeskog. We’re just destroying everybody. While I appreciate the fact that I get passed to in the slot, the fact that nobody (on both teams) ever makes an errant pass is just nuts. I do appreciate when I apparently have a terrible shot choice and aim, which the game lets me know, but score anyway. Like not it squeezed through the goalie and trickled in, but top corner and back out.

But yea, I’m running away in PIMs because of always having to fight. I’m running at just under 5 minutes a game because of it, and keep getting in shit for it. It’s not my fault the game makes me automatically do it, coach!

Another thing is my defensive awareness stats keep declining because I’m not doing any PK. It’s hard to do that when nobody in the game takes penalties to begin with and I’m not even on the PK.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m paired with Backstrom and Landeskog. We’re just destroying everybody. While I appreciate the fact that I get passed to in the slot, the fact that nobody (on both teams) ever makes an errant pass is just nuts. I do appreciate when I apparently have a terrible shot choice and aim, which the game lets me know, but score anyway. Like not it squeezed through the goalie and trickled in, but top corner and back out.

But yea, I’m running away in PIMs because of always having to fight. I’m running at just under 5 minutes a game because of it, and keep getting in shit for it. It’s not my fault the game makes me automatically do it, coach!

Another thing is my defensive awareness stats keep declining because I’m not doing any PK. It’s hard to do that when nobody in the game takes penalties to begin with and I’m not even on the PK.

I’m at the 55 game mark now and my rookie, Tuch, Olafsson, Thompson are top 4 in the NHL in scoring. I get that I control that to some extent, but it’s absurdly unrealistic. I’m not running away with the scoring race to such an extreme that my whole line should be dominating the NHL. If I’m 15 points ahead of the next guy on my team and then those 3 are all 5 points ahead of the next non-Buffalo player, that’s just silly. They’re not even star players. It’s not like it’s me, McDavid and Draisaitl. And even then, that shouldn’t mean that like Puljujaarvi should be 4th in the NHL.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’m at the 55 game mark now and my rookie, Tuch, Olafsson, Thompson are top 4 in the NHL in scoring. I get that I control that to some extent, but it’s absurdly unrealistic. I’m not running away with the scoring race to such an extreme that my whole line should be dominating the NHL. If I’m 15 points ahead of the next guy on my team and then those 3 are all 5 points ahead of the next non-Buffalo player, that’s just silly. They’re not even star players. It’s not like it’s me, McDavid and Draisaitl. And even then, that shouldn’t mean that like Puljujaarvi should be 4th in the NHL.

I’m at game 37. I have 45 goals and 57 assists. Both Landeskog and Backstrom are within 2-3 points of me individually (Landeskog goals, Backstrom assists) but ~25 points behind overall. Like that’s completely unrealistic. Nobody else in the league is even PPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad