Be a Pro Mode

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Is discipline tracking in be a pro any better in NHL 20?

I have a 100+ point scoring pro who can't get above 60 discipline ever.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
So, in my rookie season I win 5 personal hardwares, including Art Ross.

I then ask to be traded.

The answer: no, you aren't good enough to ask for a trade...

Reactions: OB5

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
SAME. EVERY. DAMN. TIME!!

I've had to delete my BAP 2-way center save since I spend most of the time on the PK and (of course!) when it's over, they want me back on the bench immediately.

I've been thinking about playing as an Enforcer. Has anyone done it before?

I pulled out my copy of NHL 19 and started a be-a-pro as an enforcer defenseman. I'm still working my way through my junior season but so far the expectations are pretty low. I just go out and hit guys or fight, occasionally chip in offense and the coach is pretty happy with me.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I pulled out my copy of NHL 19 and started a be-a-pro as an enforcer defenseman. I'm still working my way through my junior season but so far the expectations are pretty low. I just go out and hit guys or fight, occasionally chip in offense and the coach is pretty happy with me.

I played an Enforcer on ‘17. I played every game too. I lead the league in goals, assists, points, and even penalty minutes. I was able to captain Kingston to the Memorial Cup. Where did I end up in the draft? Low second round! :mad::eek:

To make it interesting, I just hit everyone just to hear Doc have an aneurysm. It makes it funnier when when I crush Austin Matthews for the 10th time in a row and I accidentally injure him :confused:: “OH WHAT A MEAN, MEAN HIT! HE’LL BE TAKEN TO TASK FOR THAT ONE!”

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That can bring my discipline up to 58. So that means that discipline is basically impossible to raise up to a reasonable level.
I've got my discipline maxed a 99 you have to not take any penalties throughout a game and you will gain some. Might have to not take any long shifts or commit icing on top of that if we are talking about NHL 20.

Reactions: haveandare

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
On another note its annoying how in Be a Pro the CPU tries to destroy your dude any time he has the puck for some reason....earn a ton of assists but along with your cpu teammates passing you the puck when you are surrounded. Even with a 80+ injury rating its easy to get hurt because they commit to hitting you so much. I got hurt during the playoffs and came back for game 7 against the Blues on Winnipeg and I get hurt again during that game in the 2nd period because the cpu has to truck my dude even when the puck has been gone for 7 seconds and somehow they don't even take a penalty it wouldn't be so damn annoying if they didn't let the CPU somehow shove you over with ZERO momentum and slight shoves yet will take a full blown hit and be up in a moment.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
My Detroit just won the SC.

I lead everyone with 43 points and +21 in 23 games. Closest one had 30 points.

I still didn't win the Conne Smythe trophy.

Our third line center did, with 14 points and -1.

Give me a f***ing break. This game is just horrible.

OB5

May 2, 2015
My Detroit just won the SC.

I lead everyone with 43 points and +21 in 23 games. Closest one had 30 points.

I still didn't win the Conne Smythe trophy.

Our third line center did, with 14 points and -1.

Give me a f***ing break. This game is just horrible.
I started a new one with the Habs as a TWF C. I had an OK pre-season quick games, 1-2 shifts a period, had over a PPG in the pre-season, got sent down, fine, I'm like a 68 overall, understandable.

Dominate the AHL, almost 2 PPG over 20 or so games. I get called up and am on the 4th line...I get one shift per game, if that and they're all on the PK. I got sent down after 5-6 games and in 3 of those games I didn't play a second. Really weird, bad mode.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I started a new one with the Habs as a TWF C. I had an OK pre-season quick games, 1-2 shifts a period, had over a PPG in the pre-season, got sent down, fine, I'm like a 68 overall, understandable.

Dominate the AHL, almost 2 PPG over 20 or so games. I get called up and am on the 4th line...I get one shift per game, if that and they're all on the PK. I got sent down after 5-6 games and in 3 of those games I didn't play a second. Really weird, bad mode.

That's some fine Dan Bylsma logic.

Reactions: OB5

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I always enjoy being benched for "bad line changes" when I dump the puck in with 0 energy after blocking 3 shots, kill a penalty by myself cause the AI players are a bunch of knobs, yet the AI teammates change from behind their own goal, but I'm the bad teammate here.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
So far be a pro has made one significant improvement in NHL 20. My linemates can score! They actually drive the far post and get open and pot good chances. I actually finished the pre season with way more assists than goals (playing on all star). My ratio is 3-1 goals to assists in past games because linemates would start skating backward away from the net or get seemingly intentionally caught up on the dman. Now they try to score. It’s nice. Team d is still terrible, but at least they made a good improvement.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
After playing the new BAP now for 20+ hours I can give some of my thoughts:

My first impression was that I loved every piece of it. I really struggled to score and went didn't score a point in the pre-season. I loved it. Now after a couple of seasons I hate it and think they kinda ruined the game mode.

So many bugs and glitches that it's not even funny anymore. I hate that they have taken away the possibility to make your own story and be a bottom-line grinder. If you would fulfil every challenge you're given, you would have 150 point rookie season.
I didn't get to see any pp time on my rookie year and scored 68 points playing 10 minutes a night. I won the Calder trophy but we didn't make the playoffs which was a bummer. Still the management thought I had a superstar season because I got a 6M contract and was named a captain of Oilers over McDavid. I almost quit on that career after that. 75 overall power forward that had seen zero playoff games, zero minutes on special teams and scored 20 points less than McDavid and still was made captain? You've gotta be kidding me.

I also hate that it's impossible to be demoted to AHL. I should have been sent down after having no points in pre season but somehow I still made the team. I guess EA didn't program the AHL as the part of the scripted story mode.

I would have preferred the old Be a Pro over this nonsense any day. The only thing that is still pretty fun is the gameplay itself. I'm not sure if it's much of an improvement but at least it feels fresh.

Glitched challenges, interviews and commentary happens too often to even give an example. Everyone who plays it would have seen those. What I do think they need to fix with an update
  • I don't think it's realistic that in EVERY GAME, on a team of SUPERSTARS, the coach would go to the rookie and tell him to score unless he expects a 82 goal season. They need to tone down the frequency of in-game challenges
  • After year 1 the player conversations are waaay to frequent. I'm 4 games in of year three and I've already seen 5 player conversations. So tone down those as well.
  • Fix all the glitches and bugs on challenges. Even though I didn't mind the XP, I don't think my 0+0 -3 performance was better than another rookie's 1+1 on a game that I was supposed to outscore him.
  • DON'T MAKE ME A CAPTAIN AFTER ONE YEAR. MAKE ME EARN IT. And if there's already a captain like McDavid, DON'T MAKE ME A CAPTAIN.
  • In-game between the shifts simulation needs to be better. I played first 30 games of my rookie seasons, playing all three periods with 20min period length. At 30 games, I led the team with 25 points while playing on the 3rd line and no special teams. So my play didn't affect the other lines at all. Still, Draisaitl had only 14 points and McDavid had like 20. Only after simulating whole games they would get points. Basically I had to simulate games so that McDavid would get ahead of me in points.
It feels like a half-assed implementation and to me is actually a downgrade from previous versions. It really feels like a COVID-19 edition of an NHL game.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Getting penalized for not covering the point is driving me absolutely mad. You can be chasing a guy on a breakaway and when he scores, you get -50 exp for not covering the point.

Also, getting tripping penalties for blocking a shot, when some idiot uninvolved in the play comes out of nowhere to skate into you...

Edit: I also can't seem to accept fight challenges. Is that happening to anyone else?

Last edited:

OB5

May 2, 2015
I'm about halfway through year 1. Leading the league in scoring, with 61 points in 44 games, about to break the Habs single season rookie scoring record.

I'm a TWF and still a role player. Anyone know how you raise that rep? I think at one point I was a team player.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
My team won 13-0 in my first game on the first line. I had 2 goals and 4 assists and had a conversation after the game with the coach were he stated

"I'm dissapointed in you. I dont think that was a performance of a first liner"

Oh boy,this game..sometimes..

Reactions: Beville

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
As soon as I saw my friend’s mostly simmed pro who had 10 pts in 40 gp and was scratched in parts of the playoffs named captain, I stopped checking the mode out :laugh:

Reactions: VLU5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad