Online Series: BBC's The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
for those who haven't read the books, a lot of the plot lines are driven by contention between Alfred and Uhtred, who hate each other but also badly need each other. I like the show for a lot of reasons thus far, but mostly because it's done a good job building that dynamic up and focusing on how their personalities lead to frequent clashes

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I am enjoying the show so far. I am surprised by the little attention is seems to be getting. It doesn't have Game of Thrones' budget or patented shocking deaths (so far anyways), but it's a very good show, one that seems to be getting better and better.

I was a little hesitant to watch the show because its trailer reminded me of The Vikings, a show I desperately wanted to enjoy, but the terrible acting and writing from the show was too much for me after 5 episodes.

I want to give The Vikings another try, as I deeply enjoy historical dramas, but I don't know if I can stomach another episode.

Anyways, looking forward to this show's next episode.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
So everyone agrees that one guy looks exactly like middle ages Jonathan Toews right? That's all I ever see whenever he is on screen.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Brian-Vernel-as-Odda-the-Younger-the-last-kingdom-39023500-620-374.jpg

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The series is interesting but Uhtred is a bit of a dick to be honest :laugh: there aren't any protagonists I've ever disliked as much as him (in a series I've actually enjoyed), not even Walter White in Breaking Bad.

He's a dick to his wife all the time and he's always complaining about getting his land back and ****, when it doesn't make sense why he cares about that so much, he doesn't seem to have any clear vision or goal that he's set out to accomplish

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So I guess that's it for this season?
Pretty short season, if so.
Anyone know if a season 2 is in the works?

Yes, the last episode was on BBC2 last night and they said there would be another season next year - there's like 6 books so far.

Gotta say, I really, really enjoyed that. I was very critical of the books on p.1 due to their formulaic cookie-cutter Sharpe-in-saxon-England plots, but they did a brilliant job transferring it TV. One of those rare occurences when the screen version is better than the book. Wasn't done on the cheap either like so many BBC historical productions (I think a US network was involved as well)

Not quite as good as Wolf Hall, but still very very good. :handclap:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
The series is interesting but Uhtred is a bit of a dick to be honest :laugh: there aren't any protagonists I've ever disliked as much as him (in a series I've actually enjoyed), not even Walter White in Breaking Bad.

He's a dick to his wife all the time and he's always complaining about getting his land back and ****, when it doesn't make sense why he cares about that so much, he doesn't seem to have any clear vision or goal that he's set out to accomplish
The name arsling suits him well lol.

I think it made sense why he would want to claim back his father's lands. For one he has an uncle that wants to see him dead sitting on what should rightfully be his. The second part is that he lost his home, he no longer has a place he can call his own.

I thought some of the conflict he had with his wife seemed warranted. Like the Baptism of their son, I can certainly see why that matters to him. The fact that instead of accepting him she constantly tries to bring him around about God must certainly be irritating. In the end she and him are too different to coexist. She is the typical conservative, devout Christian and he is the exact opposite of that.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The name arsling suits him well lol.

I think it made sense why he would want to claim back his father's lands. For one he has an uncle that wants to see him dead sitting on what should rightfully be his. The second part is that he lost his home, he no longer has a place he can call his own.

I thought some of the conflict he had with his wife seemed warranted. Like the Baptism of their son, I can certainly see why that matters to him. The fact that instead of accepting him she constantly tries to bring him around about God must certainly be irritating. In the end she and him are too different to coexist. She is the typical conservative, devout Christian and he is the exact opposite of that

You've got to remember, she's a devout Christian, in a land of devout Christians, with a devout Christian for a king. Uthred doesn't have to convert to Christianity, but he needs to develop the good sense to at least show respect to the church.

Mildreth provides him with a title, with land and with wealth. She also provided him with a son and heir, all things he craves. That she was beautiful and accepted him - even loved him was a bonus. If he wants his son to be accepted and rule after him, that son must be a Christian. To oppose his baptism was typical short-sighted pig headedness by Uhtred. It will happen a lot :)

Jori

Yes, the last episode was on BBC2 last night and they said there would be another season next year - there's like 6 books so far.

Gotta say, I really, really enjoyed that. I was very critical of the books on p.1 due to their formulaic cookie-cutter Sharpe-in-saxon-England plots, but they did a brilliant job transferring it TV. One of those rare occurences when the screen version is better than the book. Wasn't done on the cheap either like so many BBC historical productions (I think a US network was involved as well)

Not quite as good as Wolf Hall, but still very very good. :handclap:

Eight books, soon to be nine. I'm making my way through the series right now. I'm on book four at the moment. On a side note, if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend the Audible versions. Jonathan Keeble is an excellent narrator; really pulls you into the story.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
One of those rare occurences when the screen version is better than the book.

nah, the TV would need a much better Uhtred to be better than the book. The show, while significantly better than I had anticipated, is kind of like Kingdom of Heaven in that the story, scenes, tone, and supporting characters are basically perfect but the actor doing the lead just isn't what you would hope for. The guy they have isn't bad but it's clear he was cast for his looks and not for his ability to bring a lot of gravity into a scene. A better Uhtred would be something like the guy who played Robb Stark + more braggadocio.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So this show is out on Netflix now so I'm finally getting s chance to watch it...

It's quickly becoming one of my favourite shows. Too bad I only have a few episodes left :(

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Finally finished the season on Sunday (had the last 3 episodes sitting on my DVR). This is really good, sad to see Leofric go as I liked both the actor and character. The story and season moved at such a break neck pace though. It seems like the two characters travelling with Uthred at the end will play a bigger role next season, I would have liked to see a little more introduction to who they are and why they're going north with him but I get that there is only so much time to tell a story. But they didn't really go into detail on why they're with Uthred in the first place.

But man does Uthred not have any luck with the ladies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad