Online Series: BBC's The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL

The Last Kingdom is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Warlord Chronicles. The books follow Uhtred of Bebbanburg from a boy taken from his birthright and raised by Vikings, later fighting for King Alfred the Great and his son Edward. Shield walls, blood, revenge and the forging of many Kingdoms into one nation, a dream of Alfred's called England.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If you've read the books, you know this is basically Sharpe in late Anglo-Saxon England. Every book follows the exact same cookie cutter plot.

Will the BBC take a "Tudors" or "Wolf Hall" approach to this one...?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Anyone watch episode 1 tonight? If so, what did you think?

Loved it. Beautifully shot, well acted, and tastefully done violence. They covered a lot of time and ground for one episode, but I thought they managed it all well. They dropped enough clues to follow the story without holding the hands of the audience.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I finally watched the first two episodes of this and I'm really enjoying it so far. Anyone else watching?

Just finished the third episode and still loving it. The guy playing Alfred...great actor. You can get that he's smart, calculating, ruthless when he needs to be, honorable, just, and someone that still needs to battle his reputation for physical weakness. The fact that he can pull that off just speaks to great ability.

Also, that scene from episode 2 in the church with Ubba, the priest, and a whole bunch of arrows. Brutal yet beautiful. It wasn't there to shock but instead to be philosophical and poignant. That's as good as a segment of TV gets.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Enjoying it so far but it will need to do something to differentiate itself from Vikings in my mind.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
.... and someone that still needs to battle his reputation for physical weakness. The fact that he can pull that off just speaks to great ability...
He just looks young so some who don't know him such as the Saxons doubt his experience and toughness. He doesn't have that rep among those who know him such as the Danes.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If you've read the books, you know this is basically Sharpe in late Anglo-Saxon England. Every book follows the exact same cookie cutter plot.

Will the BBC take a "Tudors" or "Wolf Hall" approach to this one...?

We're a week behind the US here in the UK, but I'm pleased to say this is really, really good. To the point where if I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't know it was Cornwell and his identical plots. Viking-Sharpe this is not. Really high production values, gritty, realistic.

Its not quite Wolf Hall (but what is?), but it sure ain't The Tudors either. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad