Online Series: BBC's The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Season 5 got better and better as it went along and came up with a very fitting climax. Hard to believe that this series has generated only six full pages of discussion in all these years. A lot of people don't know what they are missing.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Season 5 got better and better as it went along and came up with a very fitting climax. Hard to believe that this series has generated only six full pages of discussion in all these years. A lot of people don't know what they are missing.

Many of the episodes (especially early on) had typical romance plotlines. Uhtred gets the girl, oh Uhtred sees new girls and wants the new girl, Uhtred wins her heart. Uhtred the promiscuous rolling stone. Just stay with her, Uhtred, please! I didn't want to discuss the romance because I found it kinda ridiculous really.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Totally agree sad that the series is over but glad that a final 2 hour movie will close out any loose threads to the story.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The ending was a bit cliche, a bit set-up, but really satisfying.

Could’ve used a few more character hits during the closing memory montage, but no big deal.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really loved this series, one of my all-time favorites.

Basically came to give major props to Timothy Innes. One of the finest pieces of acting I have ever seen.

It was awesome watching him evolve as the show went along.

There was a massive feeling of hollowness in the show for awhile when Alfred died. I didn’t think anyone could ever match what Dawson brought to the show, but damn did Innes step up his game

Last edited:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I really loved this series, one of my all-time favorites.

Basically came to give major props to Timothy Innes. One of the best pieces of acting I have ever seen.

It was awesome watching him evolve as the show went among.

There was a massive hole in the show for awhile when Alfred died. I didn’t think anyone could ever match what Dawson brought to the show, but damn did Innes step up his game.
I am having trouble getting through season 4- I gotta get through it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
My one gripe is that they didn't do enough to age the Uhtred generation. Is a grey wig and some makeup too much to ask for? I get that they can play with the timeline and compress things a bit, but he's got to be at least ~47 in season 5.

Reactions: montreal

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
While I enjoy the action, this show has some of the worst character development I’ve ever seen. It’s astonishing how useless 95% of the characters are.

It’s really difficult to feel any emotion for someone like Osferth when he was such a one-dimensional, boring character. I don’t think they have given us a single scene explaining Finan’s backstory. He just appeared as a slave and that was that. What’s even the point of giving Uhtred a son if you’re just going to give us Edward’s son as well and treat him as Uhtred’s?

It reminds me of a medieval Peaky Blinders if I’m being completely honest. A lot of characters are badass and the show is sexy, but if you peel the skin back there’s really only 2-3 characters that have any depth whatsoever.

Uhtred is one of them thankfully.

Last edited:

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I had hope for Finan’s backstory in season 5 (it’s an amazing story at that), but I feel the series suffered from a lack of episodes.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I had hope for Finan’s backstory in season 5 (it’s an amazing story at that), but I feel the series suffered from a lack of episodes.

They didn’t even need to dedicate an episode to this. Give us a 3 minute scene with them sitting around a fire talking about it. That’s literally all it would take.

I’m pretty sure they never even introduced him by name. Uhtred just started calling him Finan out of the blue.

At the end of the previous season he had a blossoming romance with the red head woman. Despite her playing a much much larger role in Season 5 they inexplicably have no relationship at the start of the season and Finan has some random other wife.

This is just really low quality writing. I understand they’re dealing with long time periods on this show (which is why I can excuse the complications of having like 3 generations of people all looking the same age), but to blatantly skip stuff like that tells me the writers are intentionally pandering to an audience that doesn’t care about plot and cares more about action and sex appeal. Which is fine, just a major qualm from my end!

Last edited:
Reactions: J T Money

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Probably my favorite series ever. There are some quibbles and I was worried they would ruin the last season like other shows have done, but season 5 really outdid itself. I can't say enough about the character and world development during this show. Yes, it's about fictional Uhtred, but set against a historical fiction backdrop. It never felt ridiculous like so many other period shows have felt at times, and there is true depth to a lot of the scenes shown here. The lead actor manages to play a convincing legendary warrior without being too 'perfect'. Dawson's Alfred makes the Vikings version look silly by comparison, as does the rest of the show to be frank. I could go on for a long time but if you haven't seen this check it out.

Reactions: J T Money

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Great show, noticeably dipped half way thru season 4. This season was pretty basic though but still very watchable. Edward rides out with his great Saxon army...and its like 500 men? Good thing Constantin's army was roughly the same size. Also was fortunate they just gave up searching for Uhtred inside Bebbanburg

The dip from after season 3 has already been pointed out and its obvious anyway, they replaced Leofric with Finan, father Beocca with father Pyrlig, Aethelwold with Aethelhelm and so on but no one ever replaced Alfred, just as Game of Thrones never could replace Tywin Lannister. Edward was fine for what he was but was not even close to what Alfred brought, Edward was closer to Aethelred than Alfred

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just completed this show after starting it a couple weeks ago.

A good show, but not great. They kept it moving and were able to come up with some interesting plot points, but also suffered from re-using some as well.

I thought Uhtred's acting was probably the worst on the show. There were times it was downright cringe-inducing. His accent made absolutely no sense to me, none of the Danes had a similar one and none of the Saxons had a similar one, his speech pattern was really odd. By the end it seemed to improve or I became more accustomed to it, but either way it was far from good and was a major distraction at times for me.

The heavy reliance on Beocca and Brida was a bit annoying. There were a lot of times the story just needed a person to intervene in some capacity and it always seemed to be one of the two, just too frequently where I found myself rolling my eyes when Beocca would end up in the same place Uhtred was over and over again. Each time they also embraced each other more than any other characters on the show and didn't seem necessary, but that's nitpicking.

Most of the supporting cast was wonderful and did an excellent job. Alfred was fantastic, I thought Edward did a great job depicting a character as an immature child that becomes King, and he was able to replicate some of Alfred's mannerisms. Shoutout to Stiorra, who I thought was going to be a lame character, but ended up doing really well. I'd say the only supporting characters I didn't enjoy were Sihtric and Aelswith. Sihtric because there wasn't much development for him. Aelswith did a great job for most of the show, and had a nice transition, but at times her character seemed to be all over the place and they even threw in some bits that were too comedic for her character in season 5.

They did a nice job of introducing new characters and were able to create mostly functional storylines for them, which is tough when the whole show is boiled down to taking and losing land. I liked the ending and will definitely watch the movie when it comes out. A strong 7/10 for me.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just finished season 5, AMAZING. Thought this season started off really strong, then there was a slow ep or two, but finished up sky high. Just an amazing series all around.

Looking forward to the 2 hour movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad