Barzal vs. Matthews

Who will end up being the better Center?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Why would anyone in there right mind call Matthews a generational player? He never had the hype, generational players usually get the name way before they enter the league not after. Matthews was never a prodigy and hasn’t done anything too prove otherwise. Most overrated player in the NHL!

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I don't know why so much energy needs to be wasted on this argument when we're going to have tangible results to draw from starting in October. Every theoretical argument against Barzal repeating his performance that concerns being sheltered, QoC, and opposition adjustment is about to become a reality thanks to the Tavares trade. Let's see how the kid does.

See you all in 5-6 months.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Why would anyone in there right mind call Matthews a generational player? He never had the hype, generational players usually get the name way before they enter the league not after. Matthews was never a prodigy and hasn’t done anything too prove otherwise. Most overrated player in the NHL!

You know more though

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I don't know why so much energy needs to be wasted on this argument when we're going to have tangible results to draw from starting in October. Every theoretical argument against Barzal repeating his performance that concerns being sheltered, QoC, and opposition adjustment is about to become a reality thanks to the Tavares trade. Let's see how the kid does.

But if Matthews' does actually outproduce Barzal, we can say it's because JT is on his team, right?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I never argued that Barzal didnt drive the play for his line. He does that very well, I would simply like to see him do it for an entire season playing against the toughest defenders. As for Matthews, I don’t need to point out that he’s one of the best 5vs5 player at generating offense. Barzal and AM both drive play on their line, they just do it very differently

OMG, this idea, or line of thinking, needs to die
All at ES:
Matthews' QoCTOI 29.83
Mattews' QoCCF% 49.96

Barzal's QoCTOI 29.1
Barzal's QoCCF% 50.02

Much difference

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Last year people said let’s see Barzal do this for a whole year. Now it’s let see him do it for two years. After he does it next year it will be let’s see him do it for three years like Matthews.
The goal posts keep getting moved. Many Leaf fans proclaimed Matthews a star after his first game. Most fans of other teams had no problem saying Matthews was a star after his first season. Why not treat Barzal the same way. He just had an historic rookie season like Matthews. Why the different standards? It’s not like admitting Barzal is a star diminishes Matthews in any way.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Last year people said let’s see Barzal do this for a whole year. Now it’s let see him do it for two years. After he does it next year it will be let’s see him do it for three years like Matthews.
The goal posts keep getting moved. Many Leaf fans proclaimed Matthews a star after his first game. Most fans of other teams had no problem saying Matthews was a star after his first season. Why not treat Barzal the same way. He just had an historic rookie season like Matthews. Why the different standards? It’s not like admitting Barzal is a star diminishes Matthews in any way.
The people saying Barzal isn't a star are flat out wrong

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews because he's likely to win championships with what he's got around him

Barzal will need A LOT of help to win

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Matthews and I don't see how this is even close. Sizable gap in defensive play between the 2.
Anything to back this up than a narrative pushed by some people?

Because basically all the defensive metrics point to them being roughly equal (and actually even most of the fancystats say Barzal is better defensively)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Im not a Leafs fan. Definitely Matthews. Barzal is a better playmaker and that’s about it. Matthews is a physical beast in all 3 zones, a better goal scorer and a better defender. Give me the animal who will won the Leafs cups.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Matthews is not generational. Very good? Yes. But generational, at least to me, is the type of player who only comes around once in a generation. A guy like Crosby, a guy like McDavid, a guy like Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad