Barzal vs. Matthews

Who will end up being the better Center?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hard choice. Barzal has the better season so far offensively, albeit Matthews probably would have had a similar season if not for injuries. I'd like to see if Barzal can repeat last year, but he's only 4 months older than Matthews. Matthews is a better goalscorer, Barzal the better playmaker.

Going with Matthews until I see another year out of Barzal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think that in general, playmaking F2 type centers tend to have a bigger effect on success than goal scoring F3 type centers. For that reason, I’m taking Barzal.

These players are very very close. There is nothing wrong with taking either one of them. Barzal is only 4 months older, but Matthews already has proven this over two seasons, Barzal has a better career PPG than Matthews in either of his seasons, Matthews is the best ESG scorer in the NHL as a 19-20 year old, Barzal has 85 points but Matthews has never hit 70. They’re pretty much even at this point but I just like the playmaking center more than the goal scoring center.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
It's going to be funny looking back at this poll after Barzal has to go against top line matchups next year instead of 2nd lines like Matthews has been doing since day 1
Barzal was getting teams top line match ups after the all star break last year and his point production went UP.

Yea yea, run and gun offense, fly the zone, didnt play any defense....

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man this is close and anyone saying one is much better than the other hasn’t watched both of them. 85 point rookies are really rare and usually turn into very special players. Matthews goal scoring in his rookie year was also elite but his points were quite a bit less than Barzal. But then Barzal was older. Gun to my head I take Matthews but I think it’s pretty much a coin flip.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Barzal he's already better and he will play more games too. Doesn't appear to be a bandaid.

I don’t think that’s really a fair label for Matthews already.

I mean he’s played more games after his first 2 seasons than McDavid did in his first 2. Wouldn’t have been a fair label for McDavid then either.

Reactions: Smif

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Anyone that actually watches Matthews would know that he does a lot more than put up points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad