Barzal vs. Matthews

Who will end up being the better Center?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All I said was all thing being equal goals are worth more than assists. If you have player A score 60 points and 20 of them are goals, he has less value than player B who scores 40 goals and 20 assists.

Lee and Marner are not equal comparisons. I've yet to change my criteria I've even said that Mike Marner the 28 year old comparable would be less valuable because he scored less goals.

And what about when Player A scores 22 goals and 85 points, while Player B scores 40 goals and 69 points? Who has more value?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Sure it does, it shows he played with a winger who is superior to Eberle.

And if we use your previous argument of "career path and age" then the gap is even larger. Or do we only use that when it suits your argument?

So you think Nylanders career path of 13 points in 22 games was more impressive than Eberle's 382 points in 507 games? I mean you do you but Nylander sure looks like the underdog untested rookie in that comparison.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
You mean sort of how Barzal drives the play for his line, while Matthews gets open so that Nylander or Marner can set him up?

I never argued that Barzal didnt drive the play for his line. He does that very well, I would simply like to see him do it for an entire season playing against the toughest defenders. As for Matthews, I don’t need to point out that he’s one of the best 5vs5 player at generating offense. Barzal and AM both drive play on their line, they just do it very differently

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I never argued that Barzal didnt drive the play for his line. He does that very well, I would simply like to see him do it for an entire season playing against the toughest defenders. As for Matthews, I don’t need to point out that he’s one of the best 5vs5 player at generating offense. Barzal and AM both drive play on their line, they just do it very differently
And yet Barzal generates more 5v5 chances than Matthews

Reactions: PWJunior

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Anyways I've stated my opinion multiple times, you're welcome to scroll up and keep arguing with those positions if you like but it's a gorgeous day out and this is getting a bit pointless. Have the last word or don't up to all of you.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd take player B as I find goals more valuable but I can see why others would pick player A.

So you moved the goal posts, because you said you wouldn't take 40 goal Lee over 22 goal Marner because Marner having more points made him better.

It's okay to favor the Leaf duo. Just don't pretend it's due to "goals are more important than assists, all things being equal".

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So you think Nylanders career path of 13 points in 22 games was more impressive than Eberle's 382 points in 507 games? I mean you do you but Nylander sure looks like the underdog untested rookie in that comparison.
Oh so we're just gonna drop the age part of the argument (another "if it doesn't fit don't use it" part of your mental gymnastics). You're also talking on the basis of evaluating the season prior to it starting, why would you evaluate it then and not after the season?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews has done it for two consecutive seasons. If Barzal can do it again then props to him
Many Leaf fans had no problem calling Matthews a star after his first season. Why not Barzal?
Heck many are calling Marner a star after a 69 point season.
Seems like a double standard when Barzal just had the best rookie season since Malkin. The kid’s elite. Why is it so hard to just admit that 85 point rookies are something special. It doesn’t negatively impact Matthews to admit that both are great young players.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Many Leaf fans had no problem calling Matthews a star after his first season. Why not Barzal?
Heck many are calling Marner a star after a 69 point season.
Seems like a double standard when Barzal just had the best rookie season since Malkin. The kid’s elite. Why is it so hard to just admit that 85 point rookies are something special. It doesn’t negatively impact Matthews to admit that both are great young players.

He’s definately a star in the making im not disputing that. I just want to see him do it against the toughest competition for atleast another year

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Tough one...do I go with the guy who plays for my team or the guy who now plays with my arch-nemesis? He is an American stud, which is nice....bah...it's close but I think I'll go with The Kid Who Won The Calder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad