Barzal vs Marner

Who's better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Interesting that someone who has been arguing about systems this entire thread suddenly doesn't acknowledge the gap between scoring against the Penguins and scoring against Boston and Columbus (both top 3-5 teams in GA during those periods). I guess, like you said, some arguments are only used when they favour people's point :)
Lol do some actual research. Pittsburgh won two cups recently. But yeah what a poor house Columbus is haha.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
This is a joke right?

I'll take Barzal due to position and his ability to elevate in the playoffs. They are very close though.

Looks like most voters only look at the stats and don't watch the games.
Lol
This has the be the funniest thing I have ever read.

Marner might not take faceoffs but this guy is the main guy that takes the puck from his blue to the other.
He’s also the guy that creates the plays in every line he’s ever been on.

the way the Leafs play and especially Marner is similar to soccer players that play total football.

I’m glad that hockey is evolving and incorporating many soccer elements

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner has put up 21 point in 25 playoff games...

Ignored in all of this?

All 4 series have been against elite defensive teams (Caps, Bruins x2, Jackets) with high end goal-tending(Caps/Bruins), even Korpisalo put up a 0.941 in last years playoffs lol.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yikes, bert. This is a bad look, even for you.
'Bad look even for me'. You just compared a players production playing in a system vs playing against a system. It's not the same thing. Glad to see you've got the excuses lined up for Marner ready to go.

Just admit you're a homer who never played the sport. It's incredibly obvious

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Islanders currently sit at an impressive 3rd in the league for GA/GP and 5th for shots against. I can see now why Barzal's numbers are low, due to his defensive responsibilities. It is indeed impressive that he can play such responsible defense and still put up 19p in 22gp.
The Leafs currently sit at an impressive 4th in the league for GA/GP and 6th for shots against. What a lovely coincidence. Oh Marner has a career best 33p in 23gp so far?

I have to hand it to Barzal though, playing defense against the Capitals and Flyers (3rd and 5th in the league in GF) must be SO much harder than playing defense against the Oilers and the Jets (4th and 6th in the league in GF). What's especially funny though is that the Islanders have played 4 games total against those teams so far this year, so Barzal's commitment to defense against the Sabres, Rangers, and Devils so far is very, very impressive. To be fair, the Leafs have only played the Jets once.

SAMPLE SIZE! SAMPLE SIZE! SAMPLE SIZE! Okay guys you got me. Throw it all out.

Reactions: NK94

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Marner has put up 21 point in 25 playoff games...

Ignored in all of this?

All 4 series have been against elite defensive teams (Caps, Bruins x2, Jackets) with high end goal-tending(Caps/Bruins), even Korpisalo put up a 0.941 in last years playoffs lol.

Don't let facts ruin some troll's narrative, though.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
great talents but I'll take the center whom in just 3 years collected NHL hardware and has 4 playoff series wins vrs guys named Crosby, Malkin, Ovy, Kutznetov , Barkov, Couturier, and Giroux.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Just keep ignoring Barzals most productive season came when he wasn't playing under Trotz fine by me. If you actually think he has regressed since he was 20 you probably haven't watched a single game.

You know what I do remember. I remember in the playoffs when Barzal went head to head with Crosby and outplayed him. I remember him driving an entire teams offense in a playoff match up and run to the ECF.

What I remember about Marner in the playoffs? Starting a series out strong then disappearing when the games tightened up.

If you think they are in different tiers fine by me. They aren't, if I was building a team I'd take Barzal, however you can't go wrong with either.
If I'm ignoring Barzal's 85p in 82gp rookie season, which I literally mentioned in that post, that's news to me. Look, I even just re-acknowledged it for you! But you are building your entire argument around a single season that doesn't even match what Marner has put on the board every single year since. I did not say once that Barzal has regressed, I pointed to the literal numbers on the board. And if you think that Marner hasn't improved since that one year, you're completely lost in the woods.

Clearly your memory of Marner is faulty. Maybe you should start with 3 points in the 3 goal comeback and OT win last year? Maybe you should remember 9 points in 7 games against Boston in 2018? (Especially if we can build our arguments on one series like this). Maybe you should remember Marner blocking shots in 2019? This shit probably got him an extra million dollars on his contract.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The Islanders currently sit at an impressive 3rd in the league for GA/GP and 5th for shots against. I can see now why Barzal's numbers are low, due to his defensive responsibilities. It is indeed impressive that he can play such responsible defense and still put up 19p in 22gp.
The Leafs currently sit at an impressive 4th in the league for GA/GP and 6th for shots against. What a lovely coincidence. Oh Marner has a career best 33p in 23gp so far?

I have to hand it to Barzal though, playing defense against the Capitals and Flyers (3rd and 5th in the league in GF) must be SO much harder than playing defense against the Oilers and the Jets (4th and 6th in the league in GF). What's especially funny though is that the Islanders have played 4 games total against those teams so far this year, so Barzal's commitment to defense against the Sabres, Rangers, and Devils so far is very, very impressive. To be fair, the Leafs have only played the Jets once.

SAMPLE SIZE! SAMPLE SIZE! SAMPLE SIZE! Okay guys you got me. Throw it all out.

.....The divisions are isolated this year dude. Being 1st/ 4th/ 8th in the LEAGUE is not a valid statistic if your competition is not THE LEAGUE. You can only say Isles GA&GP/GP compared to the MetLantic or whatever and the Leafs GA&GP/GP to the North respectively.

You need to use the #s relative to the current divisional play, then somehow quantify the 'difficulties' of each division to finally compare. AKA, THIS THREAD WITH STATS IS f***ING STUPID THIS YEAR. Has ANYONE else taken a Stats class above HS here? shit.

Marner is f***ing nice. He's amazing.

Barzal is f***ing nice. He's amazing.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
.....The divisions are isolated this year dude. Being 1st/ 4th/ 8th in the LEAGUE is not a valid statistic if your competition is not THE LEAGUE. You can only say Isles GA&GP/GP compared to the MetLantic or whatever and the Leafs GA&GP/GP to the North respectively.

You need to use the #s relative to the current divisional play, then somehow quantify the 'difficulties' of each division to finally compare. AKA, THIS THREAD WITH STATS IS f***ING STUPID THIS YEAR. Has ANYONE else taken a Stats class above HS here? shit.

Yes I imagine Marner would be having more trouble racking up points against the Sabres, Rangers and Devils.

If you are more knowledgedable about statistics, why don't you go ahead and show your work on why Barzal is better?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This entire thread is based on leaf fans wanting justification in saying Marner is in a different tier than Barzal. Which objectively he is not. All the rest of the posters want is an acknowledgement they are close. However we're not going to get it. We should all bow down to the leafs. A team that hasn't won a playoff series in 16 years with players that haven't delivered when it matters most. Simply wanting proof they can elevate come playoff time is blasphemous. We should just give them the cup now it's 22 games into the season.

Reactions: PWJunior

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

I have taken university level courses on stats. They don't start with "throw out the data because you don't like it". Sure, you can probably do enough mathematical legwork to put the Leafs somewhere lower than the Islanders defensively, but it will be a pretty hard time bridging that ~75% points gap. And tbh I really think that you'd have a hard time proving that across the league team systems effect individual player scoring enough to discount ~30 points a year. I'm sure you'd get an R value that was statistically significant, maybe even something huge like .15 or .2, but I'll go out on the limb to say that correlation does not meet the level of causation that would justify a single person voting for Barzal in this poll.

Barzal is truly a tremendous player. Marner being a better one doesn't take anything away from Barzal.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I'll put it this way... I believe Barzal is more integral to the Islanders success than Marner would be if he were on the team. That's why Islander fans wouldn't make a clean swap of players.

The team seems to rally around him and win when it counts the most.

The comparison here should be MB to JT. HAHAHAHA... that would be fun to read.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Even the current standings, people are bring up records from 3-5 years ago. LOL
Somehow the haters are twisting themselves into pretzels to somehow downplay current production but key in on Barzal's rookie production and somehow try to portray how it matters more.

"But but but the defensive systems" What about it? Leafs are 4th in the league, Isles are 3rd. Minimal difference and the Leafs play against way better offensive teams in their division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad