Barzal vs Marner

What say you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Marner's pretty elite himself, to say he's not even in the same league as Barzal is crazy talk. I've since noticed who posted that though so it all makes sense now.
Well he's not. Barzal is one of the best zone entry players in the entire NHL. He's an elite skater in terms of speed, lateral movement, and being strong on his skates. Marner is not elite. He's fine if he can stay on his feet and not falling over himself. But in Barzal's league, no. Most would disagree with you.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner's pretty elite himself, to say he's not even in the same league as Barzal is crazy talk. I've since noticed who posted that though so it all makes sense now.
Their idiotic posts are just looking for a reaction, best not to draw attention to them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well He's not. Barzal is one of the best zone entry players in the entire NHL. He's an elite skater in terms of speed, lateral movement, and being strong on his skates. Marner is not elite. He's fine if he can stay on his feet and not falling over himself. But in Barzal's league, no. Most would disagree with you.

By most, you of course you mean yourself, all your imaginary friends and some others who hate the Leafs. Sure thing pal, more power to you. BTW, if there's someone who isn't familiar with you and your hatred of all things Leaf-related, your idiotic comment about Marner falling over himself is a dead give away so if you want to pretend that you're objective ( :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: ) you're going to have to try a lot harder.

And BTW, if you hate the Leafs so much that you no longer watch them play, you're missing out big time. Marner is steadily progressing towards superstardom and yes, he is an amazing skater, one of the best in the league. Enjoy your weekend!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Their idiotic posts are just looking for a reaction, best not to draw attention to them.

Agreed, they are clearly in the same category as a player. I just choose barzal because he is a centerman, I was sold on the idea in all the Matthews vs Laine debates. I dont know why the goal posts have moved for leaf fans though. Why has this standard all of a sudden changed?

Reactions: Snowman

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
How can someone say that Barzal and Marner are not close or are not on the same tier?

Mitch destroyed Barzal's 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 junior years, and then played in the NHL one year sooner and got 61 points while Barzal stayed behind in junior.

And then Barzal beat Marner last year pretty handily but now Marner is doing better this year.

These two players are pretty close, common on now.

Reactions: ACC1224

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner has such exceptional vision that he will always be an elite playmaker. He’s always a lock to rack up assists. Barzal would have to make up the difference by scoring goals, but as you can see, he only has 1 goal in the last 7 full months. So what we have is Marner being the better playmaker, who is also scoring more goals at present. It’s not even close at this moment in time.

What do you mean make up the difference? I really dont get it, are you suggesting that Barzal isnt as good a play maker?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed, they are clearly in the same category as a player. I just choose barzal because he is a centerman, I was sold on the idea in all the Matthews vs Laine debates. I dont know why the goal posts have moved for leaf fans though. Why has this standard all of a sudden changed?

Is this a rhetorical question?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
By most, you of course you mean yourself, all your imaginary friends and some others who hate the Leafs. Sure thing pal, more power to you. BTW, if there's someone who isn't familiar with you and your hatred of all things Leaf-related, your idiotic comment about Marner falling over himself is a dead give away so if you want to pretend that you're objective ( :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: ) you're going to have to try a lot harder.

And BTW, if you hate the Leafs so much that you no longer watch them play, you're missing out big time. Marner is steadily progressing towards superstardom and yes, he is an amazing skater, one of the best in the league. Enjoy your weekend!
What does this have to you being wrong of you saying that Marner compares to Barzal as being in the same class of skaters? Barzal is better, infact much better. Speed wise, being stronger on his skates wise, and in terms of lateral skating, one of the best in the NHL. You were wrong.

Do you know how to stay on topic of answering your own questions to other posters?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Marner drives a line just as well as a center, and has as much effect on his teammates too. Being a winger is a negative when looking at a winger like Laine. Marner is more of a hybrid winger-center, displaying the best qualities of both positions.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I love how people are making the cut and paste sample method to drive home a narrative.

So let's use the Career sample, the largest sample of 2 players picked 12 slots apart from the 2015 draft. Even taking the positional argument out of the equation since most regard a Center as more valuable than a winger. Or the actual career seasonal high in points 85-69 BOTH in Barzal's favour.

Barzal is still superior in the largest sample of games available.

Barzal .99 PPG over 82 games 81 points

Marner .86 PPG over 82 games 70 points.
Says the guy who was proclaiming Boeser > Matthews last year :laugh: :laugh:

You gotta try a little harder than this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What does this have to you being wrong of you saying that Marner compares to Barzal as being in the same class of skaters?

Do you know how to stay on topic of answering your own questions to other posters?

You're the one that's wrong, that's the topic. Did you really somehow miss that? Good grief, try reading slower or something.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner drives a line just as well as a center, and has as much effect on his teammates too. Being a winger is a negative when looking at a winger like Laine. Marner is more of a hybrid winger-center, displaying the best qualities of both positions.

Ok man.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Says the guy who was proclaiming Boeser > Matthews last year :laugh: :laugh:

You gotta try a little harder than this.

He really said that? I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the source but still, :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: IPS

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How can someone say that Barzal and Marner are not close or are not on the same tier?

Mitch destroyed Barzal's 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 junior years, and then played in the NHL one year sooner and got 61 points while Barzal stayed behind in junior.

And then Barzal beat Marner last year pretty handily but now Marner is doing better this year.

These two players are pretty close, common on now.
Very close, correct.
Barzal looks like he may be better at putting up points, that remains to be seen.
Skating, playmaking is pretty much a wash and Marner is a better two way player.

I imagine they will be pretty much a mirror of one another for their career.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I mean it's never really about discussing hockey around here.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
All you have is speculation.

Its not speculation to understand that most predictable coach in the NHL is going to be predictable. Again, zero chance that Barzal would have played C on the Leafs last year - except as an injury replacement. Suggesting otherwise just shows that you understand nothing about Babcock.

Furthermore, just as it would have been completely stupid to use Nylander as the 3C last year, it would have been equally stupid to use Barzal as the 3C (and yes he would have been behind both Matthews and Kadri - Matthews was the 1C, and Kadri was the shutdown C).

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Very close, correct.
Barzal looks like he may be better at putting up points, that remains to be seen.
Skating, playmaking is pretty much a wash and Marner is a better two way player.

I imagine they will be pretty much a mirror of one another for their career.

I agree, Barzal is an amazing player. If I had to pick one I'd pick Marner but that may be because I see every game he plays and thus am completely confident that I am assessing him accurately. When I see Barzal play I like what I see though, as far as I can tell he is also very good. Since he's a centre, perhaps an Eichel vs Barzal thread would be more appropriate, maybe we'd even get some objectivity from the Leafs haters. Not sure if it's been done already, usually I try to stay away from this loony bin.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its not speculation to understand that most predictable coach in the NHL is going to be predictable. Again, zero chance that Barzal would have played C on the Leafs last year - except as an injury replacement. Suggesting otherwise just shows that you understand nothing about Babcock.

Furthermore, just as it would have been completely stupid to use Nylander as the 3C last year, it would have been equally stupid to use Barzal as the 3C (and yes he would have been the 3C - Matthews was the 1C, and Kadri was the shutdown C).
You're honestly too smart of a poster to be engaging in these types of threads.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're the one that's wrong, that's the topic. Did you really somehow miss that? Good grief, try reading slower or something.
You can continue to distract, go off topic, in a desperate attempt to obfuscate your error in claiming Marner is in the same class as Barzal is a skater.

But you were wrong when you first inferred it, and you are still wrong now.

I would love it if you would continue to claim they are in the same class as skaters go. It just confirms the point how bad your posts truly are.

Reactions: Snowman

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So basically according to SOME Leaf fans: Center>Winger, until it's one of their own wingers being compared to a center.
Right...
2010-02-14_202320_KettleCallingPotBlack-300x265.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad