What say you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Barzal would've played wing so yeah they are similar circumstances. Youre in the wrong here seeing as how you couldn't even comprehend what the poster said. On top of him being on the wing he wouldn't have been playing the run and gun offence the Isles had as well as less ice time.
How do you know Barzal would have played wing? You don't.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Care to place an avatar bet that he won’t this season? Bet you won’t....
You're right Im not a betting man, Marner could in fact score more than Barzal this season and it would'nt surprise me. The difference here being is one team lost John Tavares, and the other gained John Tavares. Barzal is tasked to essentially carry his team and play 1C which he's done fairly well at considering his circumstances. Marner is very skilled but plays 2nd line wing. He isn't supposed to carry the leafs like Matthews, or Tavares, or even Rielly for that matter. This is why I value Barzal as a player more. Also he's from BC.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You're right Im not a betting man, Marner could in fact score more than Barzal this season and it would'nt surprise me. The difference here being is one team lost John Tavares, and the other gained John Tavares. Barzal is tasked to essentially carry his team and play 1C which he's done fairly well at considering his circumstances. Marner is very skilled but plays 2nd line wing. He isn't supposed to carry the leafs like Matthews, or Tavares, or even Rielly for that matter. This is why I value Barzal as a player more. Also he's from BC.

So then when Tavares was on the Isles last season, Barzal was getting 2nd line points and shielded by Tavares. Watch the games, Marner is driving his line just like last year the only difference is that Taveras is a much better finisher than Bozak or JVR who benefited from PP goals.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What is he supposed to be a 4th line centre? Even last year as a rookie I highly doubt Babcock would trust a rookie that plays like Barzal as a 3c. Nylander and Marner barely had a leash as wingers.
I'm guessing he would have slotted in nicely as the 2C to allow Kadri and Bozak to slide down. You act like just because Nylander hasn't been playing center that Barzal wouldn't.

Here's a hot take: Barzal is much better than Nylander. He's closer to Matthews than he is Nylander.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm guessing he would have slotted in nicely as the 2C to allow Kadri and Bozak to slide down. You act like just because Nylander hasn't been playing center that Barzal wouldn't.

Here's a hot take: Barzal is much better than Nylander. He's closer to Matthews than he is Nylander.
It's not scoring that Babcock cares about when it comes to his rookies and young players. We speculated for hours about having Matthews Kadri Nylander Bozak down the middle, you'd think maaaaybe we'd see it once, just once? Nope. Rookies almost never supplant veterans under Babcock.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

You don't realize that Barzal isn't like Point or Barkov who walk in as great defensive forwards. Babcock likely wouldn't trust him at centre. Maybe later on but then again he likely gets a lot less ice time especially considering the forwards were already getting low ice times without Barzal. You would be splitting 60 mins between Matthews, Kadri, Barzal, Bozak. Barzal doesnt pk so that would be even less ice time. All that adds to why Barzal wouldn't be an 85 point player on the Leafs.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
So then when Tavares was on the Isles last season, Barzal was getting 2nd line points and shielded by Tavares. Watch the games, Marner is driving his line just like last year the only difference is that Taveras is a much better finisher than Bozak or JVR who benefited from PP goals.
Marner plays directly on Tavares' line though which Barzal never did. And yeah he did play 2nd line last year...and got 85 points.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Barzal wouldn't have. There was zero chance that Babcock would have moved his shutdown C down to 3rd last year, and zero chance that Babcock would have moved Bozak down to 4C.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Barzal wouldn't have. There was zero chance that Babcock would have moved his shutdown C down to 3rd last year, and zero chance that Babcock would have moved Bozak down to 4C.

All you have is speculation.

You don't realize that Barzal isn't like Point or Barkov who walk in as great defensive forwards. Babcock likely wouldn't trust him at centre. Maybe later on but then again he likely gets a lot less ice time especially considering the forwards were already getting low ice times without Barzal. You would be splitting 60 mins between Matthews, Kadri, Barzal, Bozak. Barzal doesnt pk so that would be even less ice time. All that adds to why Barzal wouldn't be an 85 point player on the Leafs.

Barzal is fine defensively. And I don't see Marner putting up anywhere near 85 points on the Islanders.

Reactions: Snowman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't have to speculate that Barzal outscored Marner by a significant margin last year. The guy dominates the play when he is on the ice.
You speculated that Marner wouldn't put up points if he played on the NYI.
The thread asks about overall play, not just points.

Both players can dominate when on the ice, you have seen Marner play right? He'll be wearing 16 tonight against the Devils.

Reactions: Kelly

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Any idea what each players point totals are over the last 82 games?

I think Matt would still be leading it at this point.

Now with him as the focal point facing top competition, and Trotz implementing defence, I expect his totals to be impacted.
Trotz will definitely ask him to concentrate on the defensive aspects of being a C.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Matt would still be leading it at this point.

Now with him as the focal point facing top competition, and Trotz implementing defence, I expect his totals to be impacted.
Trotz will definitely ask him to concentrate on the defensive aspects of being a C.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised the, the kid can certainly put up points.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I enjoy watching both of these guys but so far this year Marner seems to impact play on his team more than Barzal, although admittedly I've seen less of Barzal.

So if Marner is getting north of 10 mil after this year according to the Leafs haters, what will Barzal be getting offered as THE franchise player in NY? McDavid money or more?

(am i doing this right Leafs trolls?)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I enjoy watching both of these guys but so far this year Marner seems to impact play on his team more than Barzal, although admittedly I've seen less of Barzal.

So if Marner is getting north of 10 mil after this year according to the Leafs haters, what will Barzal be getting offered as THE franchise player in NY? McDavid money or more?

(am i doing this right Leafs trolls?)

This all depends on Matt doing it again.
Not happening so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad