???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
He was second to last on his team (last for forwards that played over 38 games) for +/- and I believe his play in his own end is the reason he was pushed back to the fourth line for a bit. He was also on the ice for 58 goals against. I could very well be wrong, but I thought Marner wasn't the best in his own end.
Looks like you don’t know who Bozak and JVR are

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If goal scoring was all it meant to be considered the best, Leaf fans would have a much easier time with Matthews on these boards lol.

Matthews is being compared to players who have 20 to 30 point gaps

3 of those players in the poll are wingers
~10 points being the gap
While Connor scored 31 goals his rookie year in 76 games

It's just silly to try to call Connor "easily the worst" just because he scored a little less in total points, but scored the most goals(playing less games)

Kyle connor in the playoffs, 2nd round against top seed team

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
A lot of people in here with opinions more than solid arguments

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Imagine the point totals Marner, Barzal and Aho would put up playing with Wheeler and Scheff.
That would mean he would play against top competion though, because from what I've been told Marner basically played with bums all of last year?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner and Barzal are pretty much a wash.
Aho > Connor.

Pretty close, should be interesting how much it will change after this season.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Marner and Barzal are pretty much a wash.
Aho > Connor.

Pretty close, should be interesting how much it will change after this season.

That’s funny.

Barzal has 16 more points than Marner as a Center(it’s funny how Leaf fans use C>W up all the time until a situation like this happens, seems very biased) while Aho has 8 more(with 2 more games played), while Connor is the best Goalscorer in the poll.

All that said the gap in points between Barzal and Marner is double than Connor and Aho with two games to spare in Connor s favour.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Barzal > Connor > Marner > Aho

Connor is definitely not better than Aho, and I'm not sold to the idea that he would be better than Marner.

Barzal >> Aho > Marner > Connor for me. But Barzal is so much better than the rest, that I'd go with Barzal + Connor nevertheless.

That ever so fashionable linemate argument goes for Aho and Marner and against Connor, who played with Scheif + Wheeler and still got a lot less points than the other guys. And Aho is an excellent two-way forward and a really high IQ player.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Seems like Connor has gone from being an over hyped prospect to an under rated top line winger. Oh well.

I don't think that counts as being underrated, if people think both Aho and Marner are even better than Connor. Connor is super good, but those two other guys are even better subjectively and according to the stats, though with higher goal scoring it's true that the stat gap between him and Aho is not that big.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems like Connor has gone from being an over hyped prospect to an under rated top line winger. Oh well.

Connor got the least amount of points with superior linemates, he hasn't either shown to be able to drive a line like the 2 and isn't better defensively than the 2 hes' competing against.

He should be ranked last, but shouldn't make him underrated. This poll simply has better players than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Connor got the least amount of points with superior linemates, he hasn't either shown to be able to drive a line and isn't better defensively than the 2 hes' competing against.

He should be ranked last, but shouldn't manke him underrated. This poll simply has better players in it.

“Laine isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

“Scheifele isn’t as good as he looks because his linemates”

“Wheeler isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

“Ehlers isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

I agree that Connor probably isn’t as good as the others in this poll but this comment/idea (as well as some other similar ones in this thread) just says how under appreciated the Jets roster is because this “player has great linemates” quote is over used and abused as it’s nearly been said about every Jets player.

Heck even Gretzky(and many other great hockey players) has had great linemates but that didn’t matter because he and others weren’t good because of they’re linemates, they where good because they where good.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
“Laine isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

“Scheifele isn’t as good as he looks because his linemates”

“Wheeler isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

“Ehlers isn’t as good as he looks because of his linemates”

I agree that Connor probably isn’t as good as the others in this poll but this comment/ide (as well as some other similar ones in this thread) just says how under appreciated the Jets roster is because this “player has great linemates” quote is over used and abused as it’s nearly been said about every Jets player.

Heck even Gretzky(and many other great hockey players) has had great linemates but that didn’t matter because he wasn’t good because of his linemates, they where good because they where good.

There's not isn't, he simply wasn't as good.

Even if you take the linemates argument away he scored the least amount of points, and again hasn't driven a line like Marner& Aho have and he's not better defensively.

Then you add that he played with a ppg franchise C+ 91 point winger and he's simply not at that level.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think that counts as being underrated, if people think both Aho and Marner are even better than Connor. Connor is super good, but those two other guys are even better subjectively and according to the stats, though with higher goal scoring it's true that the stat gap between him and Aho is not that big.

I'm fine with people having the opinion that Aho and Marner are better players. Some posters just seem awfully dismissive of Connor like he's just a random throw in who doesn't belong in the conversation. The kid doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to his game after one full season in the NHL. He's like the Josh Morrissey of our offense. You know he's going to get better and better.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Barzal

Aho

Marner

Connor

IMO. Aka it’s even. So I’ll vote for the group with the best player (Barzal)

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
1) Marner
2) Barzal
3) Aho
4) Connor

Marner/Aho and it's an easy choice. Don't think Connor has any business being mentioned among these players.
Hmm....let me see. Conner destroys NCAA goalies in his D+1 season: scoring 35 goals and 71 points in just 38 games!
As an underaged 19 year old in the AHL, Conner scores 25 goals in just 52 games.
Last year, Conner leads all rookies with 31 goals.
And he's just getting started.
I could see Conner getting 30 to 40+ goals for the next 10+ seasons. How many NHLers have done that?
And that potentially puts Conner ahead of Barzal!

Reactions: Snowman

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marner and Aho easily.

Marner was a beast in the playoffs too, and is ppg in the playoffs in his career.

Connor was a bum in the playoffs.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Marner and Aho easily.

Marner was a beast in the playoffs too, and is ppg in the playoffs in his career.

Connor was a bum in the playoffs.
10 points in the playoffs is pretty good.
Mariner has done all right but this was his 2nd playoffs unlike Conner.
Stlll.... I bet Conner will be considered the better player in the future.....not bad for being picked 13 spots behind in the draft!

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
10 points in the playoffs is pretty good.
Mariner has done all right but this was his 2nd playoffs unlike Conner.
Stlll.... I bet Conner will be considered the better player in the future.....not bad for being picked 13 spots behind in the draft!

You bet? What would you like to bet. Conner will an NEVER be as good as Marner. Ever. Connor is a nice complementary winger, but he will never ever drive a line like Marner.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't mind if people rank Connor 4th in this poll but there are quite a few Leafs fans jumping in to push him down hard to make their player look that much better. Did you guys know that you can talk about how good your player is without trashing the other guy? Of course, there are quite a few known Jets haters in this thread, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Reactions: Snowman and Peggy

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
You bet? What would you like to bet. Conner will an NEVER be as good as Marner. Ever. Connor is a nice complementary winger, but he will never ever drive a line like Marner.
Let's talk about Conner's ability to drive a line. You can't really tell from his Jets line but how about his Michigan NCAA line with Compher and Motte who dominated the opposition that year.
Motte that year went from scoring 9 goals each of the previous 2 NCAA seasons to 32 goals with Conner. Compher went from scoring 12 and 20 assists in his previous 2 NCAA to scoring 47 assists that year. Since then the two players have had some success but no where to that of Conner.
So...who was the driver on that terrific NCAA line? I'd say it was Conner definitely.
By the way, he was a rookie in the NCAA that year and his linemates were both 2 years older and wiser.

Oh...by the way....I said Conner will be BETTER than Mariner.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Let's talk about Conner's ability to drive a line. You can't really tell from his Jets line but how about his Michigan NCAA line with Compher and Motte who dominated the opposition that year.
Motte that year went from scoring 9 goals each of the previous 2 NCAA seasons to 32 goals with Conner. Compher went from scoring 12 and 20 assists in his previous 2 NCAA to scoring 47 assists that year. Since then the two players have had some success but no where to that of Conner.
So...who was the driver on that terrific NCAA line? I'd say it was Conner definitely.
By the way, he was a rookie in the NCAA that year and his linemates were both 2 years older and wiser.

Oh...by the way....I said Conner will be BETTER than Mariner.

Connor is probably better at hockey than any of the Seattle Mariners but he is not at the same level as Mitch Marner which I think is the point you are arguing.

Take a look at the careers to date and Marner has been better at every level. Connor had an impressive NCAA year however Marner was dominating a better league at the same time. Not sure why you reference his AHL season when Marner played in the NHL and put up better numbers that season in a better league once again. Let’s wait for Connor to surpass Marner’s rookie year numbers before saying they are comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad