Speculation: Barrie

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Barrie's 39 points in 70 games is not terrible at all. I know it feels like we lost the trade badly, but was Barrie's season terrible? On pace for 46 points is not bad. I don't want to defend him too extensively. We all wish he could have brough more.

Especially since he was at a 25pt pace (and -11) in 23gms under Babs, who told us all in training camp that Barrie had to learn to play a different way than he has his whole career for some reason, and has been at 56pt pace (and +4) in 47gms under Keefe.

Reactions: qqaz and kb

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's a bad trade compared to the other options available to us at the time? What exactly were the other teams offering? Please provide evidence that this wasn't the best available trade for us, no matter how it worked out?
Your comment presupposes we had to move Kadri. I don’t get the logic, I get the idea, but not the gun to our head type argument you’re making. You wait for the good deal or you don’t make it, we weren’t tabling offers for a guy who demanded a trade.

As an a aside I love how the “stats” guys are just ignoring his secondary assists vs other D men, doesn’t fit the Barrie pumping I suppose. Guy was a mirage. Also, comparing Babs and a Keefe, I recall the latter losing faith in him as well, he was sheltered more than Sandin at times...embarrassing.

Good riddance, marshmallow.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep, so secure that you just cannot stand for any evidence that contradicts your opinion.
I go to all kinds of games and watched Kerfoot and Barrie perform. I guess it contradicted my initial opinion of the trade. Pretty disappointing to watch. What other evidence is there than the product on the ice?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I go to all kinds of games and watched Kerfoot and Barrie perform. I guess it contradicted my initial opinion of the trade. Pretty disappointing to watch. What other evidence is there than the product on the ice?

Surpringly, there is evidence beyond the team's win loss record and an internet poster's personal eye test.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Surpringly, there is evidence beyond the team's win loss record and an internet poster's personal eye test.
I trust what I see and it seems a huge majority agree. If you want to believe that Barrie was a solid defensive addition, knock yourself out. I don’t think they’ll be much of a group disappointed he’s not re-signed.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I trust what I see and it seems a huge majority agree. If you want to believe that Barrie was a solid defensive addition, knock yourself out. I don’t think they’ll be much of a group disappointed he’s not re-signed.

Funny thing is that very same "majority" all shat on kadri when he wore the blue and white.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Funny thing is that very same "majority" all shat on kadri when he wore the blue and white.
I don’t keep track of who is on what side of things but if you say they are all the same I believe it, minus myself of course.
Kadri was a polarizing player no doubt. I didn’t mind him, he brought the odd idiotic moment but I get that, knew guys who were like that. I enjoyed watching him play for the most part, he entertained and brought effort.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Throwing a headshot on Boston's 3rd liner isn't standing up for your teammates, it's a temper tantrum because he got hit himself. He didn't target one of Boston's top guys to send a message, he didn't fight someone to send a message, he just threw a borderline hit at the closest guy he saw because he was having a temper tantrum.

If DeBrusk is running around, you don't take out DeBrusk, you start going after McAvoy and Pastrnak the next shift. DeBrusk literally wants you to do something stupid to him to get you suspended, that's his gameplan from the start.

While you’re correct in that sense. Kadri was the only guy who had heart in that aspect, yeah his wires crossed and he lost it, but he’s a damn good hockey player and it’s unfortunate that DeBrusk got in his head. It costed us badly and this trade is a whopping F across the board. Look back to the Rangers/Avs game this year from MSG and see what Kadri does when Ryan Lindgren hits Matt Calvert (I think it was Calvert). That’s the type of player we know Kadri as and it’s the type of player that plays a vital role in winning championships. It’s really unfortunate that a couple suspensions in the playoffs were so costly that it almost forced us to be impatient and trade him.

Last edited:

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Did boston push us around? I don't remember that. I do remember their PP destroying us, though.

I’m not talking specifically about Boston. This year’s Leaf team when we were at our lowest was the softest butterballs team we’ve ever seen and lots of people were criticizing the lack of tenacity and bite. They weren’t wrong, it’s part of the reason why Dubas added Clifford in the Campbell trade.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Believe it or not, these pencil neck stat geeks who have never stepped on a sheet of ice before, don’t know everything about the game and how good analytics will deliver you championships. Any team who wins the Stanley Cup have players who will do whatever it takes, who will fight, hit, and won’t back down to anyone. Not saying that all you need is size and players who do that. But players of that ilk are so vital to winning. Kadri is one of those players. My bet is he’ll re-sign here when his contract is up, and for lower than he could make on the open market.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
While you’re correct in that sense. Kadri was the only guy who had heart in that aspect, yeah his wires crossed and he lost it, but he’s a damn good hockey player and it’s unfortunate that DeBrusk got in his head. It costed us badly and this trade is a whopping F across the board. Look back to the Rangers/Avs game this year from MSG and see what Kadri does when Ryan Lindgren hits Matt Calvert (I think it was Calvert). That’s the type of player we know Kadri as and it’s the type of player that plays a vital role in winning championships. It’s really unfortunate that a couple suspensions in the playoffs were so costly that it almost forced us to be impatient and trade him.

I mean I like the guy and the way he plays 90% of the time, but I don't see his anger issues being any different than one of our defensemen being incredibly slow or the goalie having a bad glove hand: the other team is going to notice and do everything they can to exploit it. Being a good teammate means sucking it up if you can't retaliate clean or at least target a guy who's better than you.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Believe it or not, these pencil neck stat geeks who have never stepped on a sheet of ice before, don’t know everything about the game and how good analytics will deliver you championships. Any team who wins the Stanley Cup have players who will do whatever it takes, who will fight, hit, and won’t back down to anyone. Not saying that all you need is size and players who do that. But players of that ilk are so vital to winning. Kadri is one of those players. My bet is he’ll re-sign here when his contract is up, and for lower than he could make on the open market.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Kadri after his contract expires. I hope Colorado can resign him, but I’m sure we’ll be in cap trouble by then.

btw... go easy on Barrie haha. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made some big plays for you guys in the playoffs.

Reactions: kb

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Kadri after his contract expires. I hope Colorado can resign him, but I’m sure we’ll be in cap trouble by then.

btw... go easy on Barrie haha. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made some big plays for you guys in the playoffs.

You would definitely hope team can retain quality player. We’ll see what happens, your team is gonna win the Stanley Cup one of these coming years, my favourite team other than the Leafs easily.

Barrie is what he is, a right handed offensive defenseman who gets the luxury of putting up points on the power play, has a decent slap shot but doesn’t use it nearly enough, makes countless mistakes in his own end and in general just isn’t very good at all defensively. He’ll get overpaid by some team in the summer forsure.

Seems the Leafs can’t get a break when it comes to trading for Colorado defensemen. And yes that means a hard no to Zadorov, some might be fooled but I know how truly bad he is.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Your comment presupposes we had to move Kadri. I don’t get the logic, I get the idea, but not the gun to our head type argument you’re making. You wait for the good deal or you don’t make it, we weren’t tabling offers for a guy who demanded a trade.

You may not get that logic, and that's ok. Management had enough of his ongoing lack of good decision making, and maturity. There had been a clear pattern, over multiple seasons. Naz was one of my favourite players, but a guy who keeps making bone headed mistakes, isn't a guy you trust in your lineup. They made the decision he was gone, right after the incident, and so it was. The second he took that last penalty, it was obvious to me, he was both suspended, and done in Toronto.

They wanted him out, they moved him for what they thought was the best available trade. It's done...time to move on, instead of obsessing about the past.

Reactions: kb

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Not crazy at all. Anyone’s grandmother might be better than Barrie in the d-zone.

By far the worst trade we’ve done in at least a few decades. May as well have just given Kadri away for free...We are much worse defensively with Barrie than we would be having a useless plug with any semblance of defensive competence.
lol

Well, I definitely wouldn't agree with your second characterisation. He's no Brett Ledba...

Even if we had given Kadri away for free, that still wouldn't have made it the worst Leaf trade in the past 10 years...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is how the vast majority of our season ticket base feels. I go to almost every Leaf and Marlie game live. You are not alone. Most of us feel da deal was good when it was done. But after watching them game in and game out this past season we got badly duped by Sakic. Kadri bleeds blue. Barrie is a defensive mess and scared of his shadow. Kerfoot is super fast but most often completely ineffective.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This is how the vast majority of our season ticket base feels. I go to almost every Leaf and Marlie game live. You are not alone. Most of us feel da deal was good when it was done. But after watching them game in and game out this past season we got badly duped by Sakic. Kadri bleeds blue. Barrie is a defensive mess and scared of his shadow. Kerfoot is super fast but most often completely ineffective.
Careful, some take issue with forming an opinion from watching the play.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad