Proposal: Barrie and Kapanen for Larsson and Puljujärvi

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
That's even worse for the Oilers. Petan is waiver junk and Benning is actually a good bottom-pairing RHD. You need to take back Manning.

Lol buddy youre getting Barrie ans Kapanen and youre bugging out over a bum ass defender like Benning. The Leafs dont accept this even if the Oilers added a 2nd rounder. Barrie is a better player than Larsson, he just doesnt fit with Toronto. Why are we giving up Kapanen to downgrade defencemen? I get Barrie is a ufa but still, youre not getting Kapanen or Johnsson along woth Barrie for just Larsson. Puljujarvi is worth nothing to Toronto.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lol buddy youre getting Barrie ans Kapanen and youre bugging out over a bum ass defender like Benning. The Leafs dont accept this even if the Oilers added a 2nd rounder. Barrie is a better player than Larsson, he just doesnt fit with Toronto. Why are we giving up Kapanen to downgrade defencemen? I get Barrie is a ufa but still, youre not getting Kapanen or Johnsson along woth Barrie for just Larsson. Puljujarvi is worth nothing to Toronto.
Barrie is worth nothing to Edmonton.

We want Kapanen and Johnsson

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Could take the Nurse cap? Lol Nurse isn’t a cap hit. Nurse is a good D man, zero chance he goes to the Leafs.

Nurse would be your best or second best D man.

Reilly has played like trash this year but based on past performances he’s the only one who is maybe ahead of Nurse on the Leafs.

Nurse can actually defend with physicality.
on pace for 70 points = trash apparently. hes been off defensively, as has the whole team this year, but comparing nurse to reilly is asinine

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
on pace for 70 points = trash apparently. hes been off defensively, as has the whole team this year, but comparing nurse to reilly is asinine

I think the point that should be made is that Nurse isn't a "cap hit" you have to take. He is a bonafide top 4 d-man who is currently playing top pairing minutes for us.

Reactions: snipes

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I think this could benefit both teams. Edm defence has looked fine without larsson and still need a top offensive dman. Barrie has not been a good fit and the leafs need a reliable defensive dman much more than Barrie. Kapanen would be a great fit on Edmonton’s first line or would give their 2nd line some much needed speed. Could see Puljujärvi being a good fit with Marner and JT

Of my 50+ Hockey theories, the 2 half’s of goal dif analysis were from 45+ yr observations.

Homeplate (it is an Elyptical conical cylander) was seeing the violence of the Flin Flon Bombers of Clarke and Leach being about getting to and defending the front of net. Realizing getting to the net was about targeting.

A. Their are elite Dmen who prevent homeplate penetration to their def side. Top 5 like Adam Larson.
True dman analysis requires differentiation of side.
Not punishing A dpartner for teamates failure or abandonment of HD area trying to chase offence by taking forwards pocession structure.

open/closed shot theory was playing road ( dirt) hockey at 10 with a younger Ron Gunville (Player Personel Director WHL Champ PA Raiders) seeing him move with the ball like a table hockey goalie.
The ball had zero chance of going in. Closed shots.
Open shots: hit open space in net Elevation requiring goalies to move from their standard table hockey goalie position.

B. There Are Elite Dmen who have the lowest % of open shots ( scroreable) per corsi faced thru targeting pressure. Causing a high % of closed Corsi = ( blocks + forced misses + forced hit goalie)
Elite Dmen like Languay, Stevens, Russell.

When I started presenting my theories on “Lowetide” blog 2006.
One of the first thing I looked at is who wins championships

(4 teams compete each yr, 27 are non championship competative)

7 of 8 final 4 teams are are top GA teams

You want elite Dpairs that have low HD penetration and low open shots.

All current Analytics does not exclude the non scoreable data from their analysis. So it fails to identify the elite open shot forwards and Elite Closed Corsi/ Low danger Dmen.

You go to any of the analytic Calculator sites using my theories.
You can see defensmens names who repeat in the top ( lowest) evga/60 Dpairs.

Edmonton:
Larsson
Russel
Benning
The Russell- Benning Pair is the best evga/60 def pair in the game.

Barrie is a Repeat bottom ten def dman.
Allowing high open high danger shot rates.
With other repeat bottom 20 def Dmen like Reilly, Giordano, Ceci, Karlsson, Burns, .......

Yes when it comes to allowing close easy open net space shot targeting to there defensive side.
Giordano ( Norris), Karlsson (Norris), Burns ( Norris), Subban ( Norris) are some of the worst.

Hockey Media seems to think Dmen abandoning homeplate to get #6 to #10 forward Evp/60 rates and playing championship contention killing defence is a good thing.

But Historic Elite +ve Open HD shot save% goalies like Price, Holtby, Murray, Talbot, Smith, Elliott can have top HD shot save% goalie games buried by the inevitable high GA from brutally large volume of high danger open shots in the game.

Look at the last 2 games of repeat bottom 5 open HD def team Calgary and Toronto last games.
That poor Rookie Goalie.

Huge No to Barrie.
But he usually gets lots of points.

LAK won a cup with #28 ranked GF team.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Oilers don't want or need Barrie. Larsson is on par or better than Muzzin. Barrie being an UFA is a big deal... he wants a big next contract. Keep him, please. Leafs have no idea what D means anyhow.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
You're not getting Barrie for Larsson and JP

Why is Tor also kicking in Kapanen?

Coming on to the 3 rd generation of non championship hockey for Toronto.
Hockey Media is heavily trained in Toronto hockey Ideology.

I suggest looking at the GAA of the 4 winning games in STL 4 series wins.

Call it Anti Tor Media ideology education!

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Oilers don't want or need Barrie. Larsson is on par or better than Muzzin. Barrie being an UFA is a big deal... he wants a big next contract. Keep him, please. Leafs have no idea what D means anyhow.

In LA, Muzzin was part of the deepest (5+) top 60 open HD dman teams.
Their with NJD of the 90’s
And
05-06 oilers Spacek, Pronger, Smith, Staios, Greene.

But he is being buried in the leafs homeplate abandonment structure.

We have yet to see Larsson play under Tippett with similiar homeplate def emphasis like his last 2 yrs in New Jersey when he was #2 Def dman behind #1 B. Manning.
Difference was Larsson did it against 1st comp versus mannings 3rd comp.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Could take the Nurse cap? Lol Nurse isn’t a cap hit. Nurse is a good D man, zero chance he goes to the Leafs.

Nurse would be your best or second best D man.

Reilly has played like trash this year but based on past performances he’s the only one who is maybe ahead of Nurse on the Leafs.

Nurse can actually defend with physicality.
If we had to take Gagner, we could take Nurse.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

wait are you really acting like the oils haven’t been the biggest train wreck of this decade?????
20 games has people mighty full of themselves....

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
EDM doesn't need Barrie. Bouchard should be ready next year and with Klefbom they serve as 2 capable PP QBs. We've all seen how Barrie plays when he's not getting 6 min of PP1 time and it's not pretty. Sure Kapanen would be nice but Toronto has 0 reason to trade a guy they just got signed to a very team friendly deal and provides them with some bottom 6 depth.

Bad trade for both teams.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
wait are you really acting like the oils haven’t been the biggest train wreck of this decade?????

Not sure why you had to get on your high horse like that, poster was mostly just talking about how we have no need for Barrie. You do know the Leafs have made the playoffs 4 times in the past 14 years with 3 of them being 1st round knockouts right? Both teams don't really have any ground to stand on.

3 1st round knockouts in a row has people mighty full of themselves.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am not huge fan of this deal. Edmonton doesn't have to make a move, and if they did is this the kind of trade they should make? I dunno, perhaps I am being a bit unfair because of Barrie's slow start and pending UFA status. Kapanen is okay but I think Larsson as a RHD and signed to a good contract is worth more. Just my opinion though.
Larsson is not a rental but not a long term asset either. Just this year and next

I'm fine with waiting to see how Larsson does when he comes back though

Reactions: TFHockey

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
What? Where is Nurse coming from?
Kapanen + Barrie = 6M
Larsson makes 4.1M and Pulju isn't against Oil cap.
Adding Gagner would put TML over the cap so it would have to be a Chiasson, Manning or Benning from Oilers to make the cap work.

Kapanen+Barrie+Spezza (~7M)
For
Larsson+Puljujarvi+ Chiasson(~7M)

Id consider that if I was the leafs management. Kapanen is the tough to give up but Chiasson and Larsson would help now. Puju could be a winning lottery ticket or a waste but still, he has enough potential that I’d consider moving Kap for that return. If it’s AJ instead of Kap done deal as AJ doesn’t kill penalties

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Don’t think Holland would bite on this. Not any pressing need to make this move for 2 3/4 years of Kapanen. I could see it for a 5 year contact though of a player of similar ilk.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I like to see Oilers gain Kapanan into mix think be deadly. Plus, already has 2 sh goals which means could help pk. Leafs gaining Larsson could help. Hopefully, Edmonton does make trade(s) to bolster their team.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Leafs haven't been past the first round in how long? Pretty full of themselves since they're golfing in April as well every year since what? 2004?
At least this year it doesnt look like they'll have to go through that disappointment.

I'm still not confident that the Oilers goaltending can keep up their play all year so a physical defensive RHD will be more valuable than a 2nd line winger.
Barrie has always been shit in his own end and this year his offense is gone. Pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad