Proposal: Barrie and Kapanen for Larsson and Puljujärvi

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Love Kap, hate Barrie. I would personally say no but I'm sure some Oilers fans would say yes. Overall decent.

I would be hesitant to add the $ that Barrie would ask for when we have some guys in the pipeline that could soon take over "his" role. Kapanen is a player I really want though.

Larsson would really help the Leaves and Jesse may or may not be a decent Kap replacement.

You don't have to sign Barrie

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Oilers don't want or need Barrie. Larsson is on par or better than Muzzin. Barrie being an UFA is a big deal... he wants a big next contract. Keep him, please. Leafs have no idea what D means anyhow.

Lol and the Oilers do? At least the Leafs have depth, outside of the obvious 2 the majority of the Oilers lineup is a bunch of bums. The only thing Larsson has on Muzzin is he's right handed, outside of that Muzzin is definitely better than him

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I want no part of the OP from the Leafs perspective.

If Larsson was cheaper or the Leafs had cap room, pushing Barrie+ for Larsson would be smart. Cap isn't there though. Kapanen is a keeper.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Oilers say no, Barrie has been nothing short of terrible. Kapanen is your typical 3rd liner, no thanks

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I'd rather see Barrie (and the Laffs for that matter :D ) continue to struggle, so come the trade deadline, we can pick him up for cheap.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Barrie is nothing more then a one dimensional power play defenseman who can rack up 50-60 points playing on a team with good defensive defenseman to cover for him. Larsson is a much better player at defending. That's what the
Leafs covet. Larsson would help the Leafs cut their goals against, however getting someone like him comes at a cost.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
?
They are currently in shared #2 spot in the entire league.

Unless McJesus or Drai get injured, they should make the playoffs with ease. Though their D might not be enough to win the cup unless things luck out.

Our D is miles stronger this year than it was in 2016 when we were a goal from the semi-finals (in fact we were three goals up with less than 5mins to play). So that's not really the problem.

Our problem is a complete lack of secondary scoring... same problem for 3 years now. Holland will need to chip away at that issue as cap space becomes available. Until then it's a holding pattern that (hopefully) builds some playoff experience for the rest of the roster.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Of my 50+ Hockey theories, the 2 half’s of goal dif analysis were from 45+ yr observations.

Homeplate (it is an Elyptical conical cylander) was seeing the violence of the Flin Flon Bombers of Clarke and Leach being about getting to and defending the front of net. Realizing getting to the net was about targeting.

A. Their are elite Dmen who prevent homeplate penetration to their def side. Top 5 like Adam Larson.
True dman analysis requires differentiation of side.
Not punishing A dpartner for teamates failure or abandonment of HD area trying to chase offence by taking forwards pocession structure.

open/closed shot theory was playing road ( dirt) hockey at 10 with a younger Ron Gunville (Player Personel Director WHL Champ PA Raiders) seeing him move with the ball like a table hockey goalie.
The ball had zero chance of going in. Closed shots.
Open shots: hit open space in net Elevation requiring goalies to move from their standard table hockey goalie position.

B. There Are Elite Dmen who have the lowest % of open shots ( scroreable) per corsi faced thru targeting pressure. Causing a high % of closed Corsi = ( blocks + forced misses + forced hit goalie)
Elite Dmen like Languay, Stevens, Russell.

When I started presenting my theories on “Lowetide” blog 2006.
One of the first thing I looked at is who wins championships

(4 teams compete each yr, 27 are non championship competative)

7 of 8 final 4 teams are are top GA teams

You want elite Dpairs that have low HD penetration and low open shots.

All current Analytics does not exclude the non scoreable data from their analysis. So it fails to identify the elite open shot forwards and Elite Closed Corsi/ Low danger Dmen.

You go to any of the analytic Calculator sites using my theories.
You can see defensmens names who repeat in the top ( lowest) evga/60 Dpairs.

Edmonton:
Larsson
Russel
Benning
The Russell- Benning Pair is the best evga/60 def pair in the game.

Barrie is a Repeat bottom ten def dman.
Allowing high open high danger shot rates.
With other repeat bottom 20 def Dmen like Reilly, Giordano, Ceci, Karlsson, Burns, .......

Yes when it comes to allowing close easy open net space shot targeting to there defensive side.
Giordano ( Norris), Karlsson (Norris), Burns ( Norris), Subban ( Norris) are some of the worst.

Hockey Media seems to think Dmen abandoning homeplate to get #6 to #10 forward Evp/60 rates and playing championship contention killing defence is a good thing.

But Historic Elite +ve Open HD shot save% goalies like Price, Holtby, Murray, Talbot, Smith, Elliott can have top HD shot save% goalie games buried by the inevitable high GA from brutally large volume of high danger open shots in the game.

Look at the last 2 games of repeat bottom 5 open HD def team Calgary and Toronto last games.
That poor Rookie Goalie.

Huge No to Barrie.
But he usually gets lots of points.

LAK won a cup with #28 ranked GF team.

Love the analysis... if only nerds like you could communicate, oh... and back up your work with the source of the stats. I always find myself loving the interesting statistical "finds" and wanting to authenticate. (I mean Russell-Benning... really!?)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lol buddy youre getting Barrie ans Kapanen and youre bugging out over a bum ass defender like Benning. The Leafs dont accept this even if the Oilers added a 2nd rounder. Barrie is a better player than Larsson, he just doesnt fit with Toronto. Why are we giving up Kapanen to downgrade defencemen? I get Barrie is a ufa but still, youre not getting Kapanen or Johnsson along woth Barrie for just Larsson. Puljujarvi is worth nothing to Toronto.

Puljujarvi is the best player in the deal . He just don't fit with Edmonton . Saying something doesn't make it true . Larsson is a better defence man then Barrie . Barrie is a better offensive defence man then Larsson . Saying one is better is not true and value is base on a teams needs . Let say you traded barrie to Edmonton and Larsson played great for the TML and they started winning . Does that make him a better D man or just a better fit ?

I like looking at a players value rather then who is better as in the right situation 1 player can really change a team . I think Edmonton is 1 player away for having a real good 2nd line . Bear totally changed Edmonton defence this year . I would take a player that fans consider inferior if it helps the team over the better player that doesn't and to me that has value

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
No, but I don't think it's worth it to trade for Barrie as a rental.

I don't really think it's worth it either way.

Makes more sense to me to simplify it to Larsson for a winger or maybe add Puljujarvi if it gets you a better player with term like Ehlers or Nylander.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'd rather see Barrie (and the Laffs for that matter :D ) continue to struggle, so come the trade deadline, we can pick him up for cheap.

If the Oilers are adding rentals at the deadline I can't see it being a player like Barrie.

If the team is doing that well it's because the young defense is holding its own but they'll very likely need help with the forward depth.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
If the Oilers are adding rentals at the deadline I can't see it being a player like Barrie.

If the team is doing that well it's because the young defense is holding its own but they'll very likely need help with the forward depth.

We can trade Russell to them for Barrie ;):sarcasm:

I'd pick up Spezza. Veteran C, seems like he still has some game. Face-offs, playoff experience. He'd be good between Neal and Chiasson as a veteran line.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
We can trade Russell to them for Barrie ;):sarcasm:

I'd pick up Spezza. Veteran C, seems like he still has some game. Face-offs, playoff experience. He'd be good between Neal and Chiasson as a veteran line.

I'm not sure how much he has left. He probably could still help a power play but the Oilers first unit doesn't need him and the second doesn't play much.

I think ideally you'd want someone like Pageau who kills penalties and contributes at even strength but he's having a career year and I'm just not comfortable for giving up a 1st for a rental at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad