Prospect Info: Barrett Hayton - What's the deal?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hayton also needed to get up to NHL pace...which he's done, his skating is no longer a concern

So it hit me tonight. Hayton is a bit of a Sam Bennett clone. both are listed at 6'1" 190lbs. Both are great defensive centers. Sam has a ton of piss and vinegar but Hayton continue is getting more confident in stirring the pot, getting into the nasty areas/disrupting goalies and generally pissing off other teams. May never be an all star player, but if we can get a 50-60p center, who is a coaches dream, and can rattle opposing teams then I think we got a gem.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I don't think Hayton is/will be a slow starter. Remember he came into camp this season on fire, looked like a beast. Then the first few games of the regular season didn't go as planned and he got demoted to 3rd and 4th line duty on the leagues most talent deficient roster. I'm not worried he'll have a slow start next season.

Reactions: zerekstar

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
So it hit me tonight. Hayton is a bit of a Sam Bennett clone. both are listed at 6'1" 190lbs. Both are great defensive centers. Sam has a ton of piss and vinegar but Hayton continue is getting more confident in stirring the pot, getting into the nasty areas/disrupting goalies and generally pissing off other teams. May never be an all star player, but if we can get a 50-60p center, who is a coaches dream, and can rattle opposing teams then I think we got a gem.
You're selling him short by almost 20 lbs! He is listed at 207. Hayton actually looked good before he was producing this year. You knew the production was gonna come with him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hayton may turn into a fine 2C, and who knows? If he makes another leap in production he could be a good 1C.
i think he is a 2C/3C based on his defensive abilities, he is similar to Hanzal. If his production stays where it has been recently he is a 2C for sure, who knows, if he keeps improving his production he could turn into a 1C, defensively he is very good.

Reactions: zerekstar

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
i think he is a 2C/3C based on his defensive abilities, he is similar to Hanzal. If his production stays where it has been recently he is a 2C for sure, who knows, if he keeps improving his production he could turn into a 1C, defensively he is very good.
Agree, but in an ideal situation he is pushed back into the 2C/3C position because of the depth. I'm not sure how he'd perform sans Keller at this stage, and would like to see the degree to which he can drive play. I think he's quite a way away from a 1C in that respect.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I dunno, I don't see it guys. Personally I think Hayton looks like Mason Mctavish of the Ducks.

s-l1600.jpg
barrett-hayton-2023-7166.jpg
EU214PlWoAEd_3D.jpg
mason-mctavish-2022-4312.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: MayDayMayDay

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I wanted Zadina also. So glad we didnt take him. We got a really good player. Does a lot of the small things very well. Even when he doesn't get an assit, There he is mucking it up in the top of the crease. High hockey IQ.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'm usually very patient with prospects but lost hope on Hayton after the slow start to this season. He's only 22 so I shouldn't have.
I always thought his ceiling was Mikko Koivu. Take out his slow start this season and I think he's there and could exceed that ceiling. I'd be thrilled if this continues, and think it will.
9 points, last five games. He's going to need a contract soon.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I wanted Zadina also. So glad we didnt take him. We got a really good player. Does a lot of the small things very well. Even when he doesn't get an assit, There he is mucking it up in the top of the crease. High hockey IQ.

Me and @rt high five'd when Zadina was was still there after Brady was taken at four. We were celebrating like we got to open a gift on X-Mas Eve. We were immediately heartbroken with the Hayton pick. We'd later learn the gift we opened on X-mas Eve was long forgotten, and the big present we opened on X-Mas (which we didn't love at first) would become out favorite gift.

I'm usually very patient with prospects but lost hope on Hayton after the slow start to this season. He's only 22 so I shouldn't have.
I always thought his ceiling was Mikko Koivu. Take out his slow start this season and I think he's there and could exceed that ceiling. I'd be thrilled if this continues, and think it will.
9 points, last five games. He's going to need a contract soon.
I did too. It was never because I thought he was too old, I just always thought his development track was too interrupted. Between COVID and us putting him in the press box too often I figured he wasn't growing as a player, growing as an athlete, becoming a larger physical presence. He was already going to be a project, and I figured we didn't do anything to help the project grow.

And here we are...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Me and @rt high five'd when Zadina was was still there after Brady was taken at four. We were celebrating like we got to open a gift on X-Mas Eve. We were immediately heartbroken with the Hayton pick. We'd later learn the gift we opened on X-mas Eve was long forgotten, and the big present we opened on X-Mas (which we didn't love at first) would become out favorite gift.

I did too. It was never because I thought he was too old, I just always thought his development track was too interrupted. Between COVID and us putting him in the press box too often I figured he wasn't growing as a player, growing as an athlete, becoming a larger physical presence. He was already going to be a project, and I figured we didn't do anything to help the project grow.

And here we are...
I will say that I only preferred Zadina to Hughes in that moment because of the head and not the heart. Hughes was my favorite prospect. But i thought the “fit” and the “need” was better with Zadina. That’s exactly why I ultimately wanted Strome over Marner by draft day. Despite Marner being my favorite for over a year.

I’ve learned. I’m not doing it anymore. I’m not a scout. I just watch a lot of junior/amateur hockey and I pick out players I like. I’m just going to make a list of favorites and hope we draft one or two of them. That’s my new strategy.

I’m gonna be the Marie Kondo of armchair scouts. Does this prospect “spark joy” or not? That’s all I’m asking of myself.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

And here we are...
Haha.. I was the same… but heartbroken was not the word I would use as visions of Strome and Edm winning the lottery danced in my head..

I will say that I only preferred Zadina to Hughes in that moment because of the head and not the heart. Hughes was my favorite prospect. But i thought the “fit” and the “need” was better with Zadina. That’s exactly why I ultimately wanted Strome over Marner by draft day. Despite Marner being my favorite for over a year.

I’ve learned. I’m not doing it anymore. I’m not a scout. I just watch a lot of junior/amateur hockey and I pick out players I like. I’m just going to make a list of favorites and hope we draft one or two of them. That’s my new strategy.

I’m gonna be the Marie Kondo of armchair scouts. Does this prospect “spark joy” or not? That’s all I’m asking of myself.
I was so upset we picked Strome…. it looks like he is turning out I now … like maybe a late first round pick etc..

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Still a 4th liner. Always will be. No way he ever proves me wrong.

It's your prerogative to be wrong. :)

But consider that since Jan 1st he's 13-17-30 in 37 games, which is .81 p/gp. Within the league, that puts him in the top 60 of all forwards and equal to Jack Eichel.

Sure, small sample size, but I feel Hayton is just getting started.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's your prerogative to be wrong. :)

But consider that since Jan 1st he's 13-17-30 in 37 games, which is .81 p/gp. Within the league, that puts him in the top 60 of all forwards and equal to Jack Eichel.

Sure, small sample size, but I feel Hayton is just getting started.
Nah he'll always suck. He will never remain consistent enough to be a good middle 6 center for us, ever. Never. Ever. Ever!

Am I laying it on thick enough?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Am I laying it on thick enough?

As an AI language model, I am programmed to recognize patterns and analyze text based on statistical models and natural language processing algorithms. While I can understand and generate sarcastic statements based on patterns learned from the training data, my understanding of sarcasm is not perfect and may sometimes fail to recognize sarcasm in certain contexts or when the sarcasm is particularly subtle or complex. However, my ability to recognize sarcasm can improve over time as I learn from new examples and data.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
As an AI language model, I am programmed to recognize patterns and analyze text based on statistical models and natural language processing algorithms. While I can understand and generate sarcastic statements based on patterns learned from the training data, my understanding of sarcasm is not perfect and may sometimes fail to recognize sarcasm in certain contexts or when the sarcasm is particularly subtle or complex. However, my ability to recognize sarcasm can improve over time as I learn from new examples and data.
Lol. TBC earlier in the season I absolutely believed he was a 4th liner tops. Now I just can't admit it or he'll turn back into a pumpkin, because he sucks!

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Lol. TBC earlier in the season I absolutely believed he was a 4th liner tops. Now I just can't admit it or he'll turn back into a pumpkin, because he sucks!

I had doubts when he was sent back to Tucson and failed to produce results. I'm happy that I was wrong, and I have to give credit to Bear and the coaching staff. They are bringing out the best in our players...even Kassian. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00