Prospect Info: Barrett Hayton - What's the deal?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Evidence of what? Last full season under RT we had 86 points. I am not sure if 70-75 points this year is a sign of success. Improvement yes, but is anyone going to be standing in line to hire BA or AT at this point? I doubt it. next year, if we are 95 points, and the year after 100+, then I could see interest from other teams in BA and AT. You have to at least coach a team that makes the playoffs a few years in a row and as a GM lead the rebuild into the playoffs for those same few years. Until that happens, we won't need to worry about a bidding war for BA/AT at contract time.

Context matters.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
BA and Tourigny are easily going to double their salaries. It's not much but for the Coyotes it's likely means raises in that $2-$5M combined. Tourigny is going to be talked about as the next great french canadian coach and let's face it we know of one french canadian team that is going to eventually be interested.

Reactions: Kai Yo T and Mosby

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
BA and Tourigny are easily going to double their salaries. It's not much but for the Coyotes it's likely means raises in that $2-$5M combined. Tourigny is going to be talked about as the next great french canadian coach and let's face it we know of one french canadian team that is going to eventually be interested.
OK hbk this one is just lobbed over the plate so I feel I kinda want take a swing.........he can go to Quebec with rest of team!!!!

*humor folks, it's just a silly joke

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lunfdell for a first is interesting. Would prefer a top first pairing D in a trade for our Ottawa pick. With Hayton, Cooley, McBain and Geekie we are pretty solid, if not very spectacular, at center.
Geekie hasn't even made the NHL yet, and McBain right now is a 3C. Hayton a 2C, and Cooley, who knows. This is not near spectacular.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Both were hired as NHL rookies (at their positions) and are being paid as such. It's only logical that they will earn a raise with their next contracts since they now have some time in title. You can't deny that they've both done some great things with this team.

What, in your opinion, should they have to do to deserve a raise? What do you consider proven? Stanley Cup?
For AT another year or two of growth among our young players. With BA, it's hard to say right now, probably at least two years. When are their contracts up?

I mean, if you can't see the evidence with your own eyes, it'll be hard to provide it to you second-hand.
One year does not make a career for a player, coach or GM. The team has been playing without any pressure of them to win. Let's see what happens when it's crunch time.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
For AT another year or two of growth among our young players. With BA, it's hard to say right now, probably at least two years. When are their contracts up?

One year does not make a career for a player, coach or GM. The team has been playing without any pressure of them to win. Let's see what happens when it's crunch time.
AT signed for 3 years. I believe it expires after next season. Would you work for the same company for 3 years, do everything they expect of you and do it well, and not expect a raise if they want to keep you? You should! If BA doesn't want to give him a raise then he probably wouldn't be trying to re-sign him to begin with.

BA signed for 5 years. Expires in 2025. It's not worth debating if he deserves to be re-signed because we have plenty of time to more results. IF he is re-signed, he will get more $. No doubt.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
AT signed for 3 years. I believe it expires after next season. Would you work for the same company for 3 years, do everything they expect of you and do it well, and not expect a raise if they want to keep you? You should! If BA doesn't want to give him a raise then he probably wouldn't be trying to re-sign him to begin with.

BA signed for 5 years. Expires in 2025. It's not worth debating if he deserves to be re-signed because we have plenty of time to more results. IF he is re-signed, he will get more $. No doubt.
If the Coyotes want to keep AT when his deal is up next year, it likely means they had a good year 80-90+ points, maybe made the playoffs. Second contract, he will get a raise. Same with BA, if the ownership group wants to keep him at the end of his deal, he will get a raise too. To keep both it will be based on performance. If the team gets worse on the ice or the rebuild fails in the next 24 months, they will both be unemployed as a coach and GM. So, it's either stay employed and get a raise or be unemployed.

So far, BA is ok as a GM, I can see some good things and some not so good things I have pointed out. For AT, it's harder to tell. The team sure looks better lately. Is that because of AT, because of young guys naturally getting better, or partly because the Chych distraction is gone now. It's hard to say but time will tell.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If the Coyotes want to keep AT when his deal is up next year, it likely means they had a good year 80-90+ points, maybe made the playoffs. Second contract, he will get a raise. Same with BA, if the ownership group wants to keep him at the end of his deal, he will get a raise too. To keep both it will be based on performance. If the team gets worse on the ice or the rebuild fails in the next 24 months, they will both be unemployed as a coach and GM. So, it's either stay employed and get a raise or be unemployed.

So far, BA is ok as a GM, I can see some good things and some not so good things I have pointed out. For AT, it's harder to tell. The team sure looks better lately. Is that because of AT, because of young guys naturally getting better, or partly because the Chych distraction is gone now. It's hard to say but time will tell.
So as a GM you would set AT up for failure the first two seasons of his employment, only to have him be a loyal trooper while greatly exceeding your expectations, and then either not re-sign him (or expect him to re-sign for the same pay) all because the third season with a young roster full of rookies didn't reach 80-90 pts?

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I believe AT will get a raise, deservedly so. How much I don't know.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I would trade Ottawa's pick for Lundell in a heartbeat. A sophomore slump for a guy that young isn't surprising or concerning imo.

Me too. He’s excellent defensively and has shown he can produce offensively even if he’s cooled. He’s shown as much as Hayton or more than Hayton but much earlier.
Whether either of you would trade for Lundell or not is mostly irrelevant. The point is Hayton, like Lundell, is not proven he's even a 2C yet let alone a 1C. So talking about targeting wingers because we're worried about a logjam at C is way premature IMO.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So as a GM you would set AT up for failure the first two seasons of his employment, only to have him be a loyal trooper while greatly exceeding your expectations, and then either not re-sign him (or expect him to re-sign for the same pay) all because the third season with a young roster full of rookies didn't reach 80-90 pts?
No idea where you got that analogy. If they keep him he will get a raise. If we go back to 65 points or less next year he won't get an extension.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If the Coyotes want to keep AT when his deal is up next year, it likely means they had a good year 80-90+ points, maybe made the playoffs. Second contract, he will get a raise.

No idea where you got that analogy. If they keep him he will get a raise. If we go back to 65 points or less next year he won't get an extension.

We going with 65 points now? Lol. That's more reasonable. But I think he'll have a longer leash because of the circumstances.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Players love working for AT, the key guys are playing their best hockey of their careers, the younger players are progressing fantastically well.

The team is very much overachieving in light of one of the cheapest, weakest (on paper) roster assembled in recent times. I mean, this a roster designed to finish dead last and by some distance.

AT is good with the media by the look of it, he seems on the same wavelength than the GM and the franchise.

So getting him an extension with a nice salary increase should really be forthcoming... if this is not a dysfunctional franchise ah ah ah

ah

a
a
a
a

a

:naughty:

Reactions: MIGs Dog

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Normal procedure would be for AT to get a healthy raise and extension this summer. Coaches don't typically go into the last year of their contract without one.
RT did, BA needed time to evaluate remember. Didn't our owner extend Chayka? That didn't work out. No need to extend AT this summer, BA and ownership can wait and see how things play out next year at least get part way through the season anyway. The team has had a good 2 month stretch and young players are improving, lighening in a bottle or a trend? While it wasn't fair to evaluate AT based on last year, there is no harm in waiting it out, more time will tell us more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RT did, BA needed time to evaluate remember. Didn't our owner extend Chayka? That didn't work out. No need to extend AT this summer, BA and ownership can wait and see how things play out next year at least get part way through the season anyway. The team has had a good 2 month stretch and young players are improving, lighening in a bottle or a trend? While it wasn't fair to evaluate AT based on last year, there is no harm in waiting it out, more time will tell us more.
Everyone knew that RT wasn't coming back, and everyone knows AT is coming back. It's being two years the team has been competitive with little talent, and this year the teams young core has really stepped up and improved. I understand your view of waiting, and they might, but even if the team falters next year would they gain anything if they let AT go and try to find a new coach? We have some stability now, and everything, everyone seems to be on the same page and I think it would be in the organizations best interest to give AT a nice raise. I'm sure AT and BA will be discussing this, or already have, so I'm not to worried if they wait until next year to do it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Everyone knew that RT wasn't coming back, and everyone knows AT is coming back. It's being two years the team has been competitive with little talent, and this year the teams young core has really stepped up and improved. I understand your view of waiting, and they might, but even if the team falters next year would they gain anything if they let AT go and try to find a new coach? We have some stability now, and everything, everyone seems to be on the same page and I think it would be in the organizations best interest to give AT a nice raise. I'm sure AT and BA will be discussing this, or already have, so I'm not to worried if they wait until next year to do it.
The way things look now, and if we improve some more next year, I agree, they likely extend AT. There just isn't a rush, things can still go wrong along the way and AT is under contract through next year. The Coyotes and BA have the luxury of time now. BA seems to be pretty patient with his decisions, like the start of the tear down, waiting a year, waiting to trade OEL, and wiating to trade Chych. I doubt BA will be in a big hurry to extend AT. I think the earliest we see an extension will be early 2024, maybe around the TDL.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
AT has won at every level he's coached, which is why I can't understand the love some show for RT, who has never won as a head coach at any level.
AT hasn't won at the NHL level yet. RT didn't win in Florida or AZ, not sure why he was hired again recently, maybe third time is the charm:)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The way things look now, and if we improve some more next year, I agree, they likely extend AT. There just isn't a rush, things can still go wrong along the way and AT is under contract through next year. The Coyotes and BA have the luxury of time now. BA seems to be pretty patient with his decisions, like the start of the tear down, waiting a year, waiting to trade OEL, and wiating to trade Chych. I doubt BA will be in a big hurry to extend AT. I think the earliest we see an extension will be early 2024, maybe around the TDL.
Tourigny signed for 3 years? If so he gets extension this summer. They won’t get into a lame duck situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00